Black to Brown with Henna?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
lalaChini
Black to Brown with Henna?

I'm so guilty for making a new forum but I have some questions that I'm really hoping to get answered.

I probably haven't browsed enough in this new forum website but I've been trolling on the old one. Also, I've been reading articles on the internet about henna-ing and I am lost, not completely but still lost. (lol!)

My situation and hair: I haven't dyed my hair at all and I'm interested on dyeing my hair. My hair is naturally black. Like it's very black. And I want this hair color

http://blog.materialgirlcollection.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/feathe... questions:

1.) Can I achieve the hair color I want with just the henna? I heard that I have to mix it with amla or indigo (and i forgot the other one, starts with a b), if so, which one is the best to achive the color I want?

2.) Where can I buy the Henna powder (Lawsonia  Inermis)? Do they usually sell this at organic food store? or online? What's the best website I can purchase the things I need?

3.) Mixing. I read some people mixing essential, and oils such coconut oil, to their henna mixture, does this affect the henna-ing? Also yogurt? coffee? Tea?

4.) Dye release. I am confused as hell about this matter. How do you know? I heard about something with putting some on your skin and see if it leaves a stain. Can somebody confirm that? I mean how long does this usually take? I'm hearing about 12 hours?! Is that true? and also I've read that some people put it in the fridge, why? Can't you just put it in your hair and have its dye release then? Or do you have to put after the releases? 

5.) How long? I'm hearing long overnight session if you want a darker color, how true is that? And if you want more vibrant reddish color, you use heat? Can someone elaborate that? So how long do I need to leave it on my hair?

6.) I've read that after a few days will you only see the true result. Is there anything you can do to change it?

7.)After you rinse, can you put some oil afterwards as a conditioner to your hair?

8.)Before you do henna, are you supposed to wash your hair?

9.) When you are finished applying the henna mixture,  are you supposed to wrap it with the plastic wrap? Is that necessary or optional?

Besides all that, can you guys please list more Do's and Don'ts regarding henna-ing, tips, more informations on things I will be encountering or things that I should be aware of. If my questions have been answered on a forum, can you please post the link. Thanks in adavance. :)

Carrie
Re: Henna-ing Basics?

Your link says not found on server - try again? 

1. With black hair, henna will not change your color. Nothing you add to it will change the color of your black hair. You'd have to bleach your hair to get henna to show.

2. This forum is owned by Mehandi/Ancient Sunrise, who sells a heck of a lot (many tons per year) of body art quality henna. That's who I'd recommend you buy your henna from :D  You can get Ancient Sunrise henna in some Whole Foods stores (especially if you live in Ohio) but otherwise you'd get it from the website.

3. Adding essential oils(like tea trea, lavender, etc) or fixed oils (like coconut, olive, etc) is not advisable. Adding food/beverages to your henna will not change the color in any permanent way. Coffee will hype you up. Yogurt will add moisture. Some people with gray felt it interfered with coverage but otherwise yogurt is okay to add but will/may dilute the intensity of the dye, depending on how much you use.

4. Read about dye release in the dye release FAQ here:  http://forums.hennapage.com/node/98

5. Need to see your desired color to answer this. Generally speaking, a 4 hour application will get you most of the color you're going to get. You'll get a little bit more if you leave it on longer/overnight.

6. Change what, the color, or how long it takes to see the final color? Or the fact that the color will change from brighter to more mellow/darker in a few days? 

7. Yes.

8. Yes, especially if you have used silicone containing products on your hair. Or if you have dye resistant hair, it's especially helpful to wash right before applying to damp hair.

9. It's necessary. The mud will otherwise dry on your hair, making it difficult to wash  out. It can also make the dye less active/inactive if it's exposed to too much air/dries out.

Carrie

Free ebook on henna for hair here: 

http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/

lalaChini

Wow, thank you so so much! :) That really helped! :D

http://blog.materialgirlcollection.com/?p=2323

That's the color I wanted but my hair is veryy black so I guess I can't achieve that?

lalaChini

Oh, If I did bleach my hair won't that intefere with me dyeing my hair with henna? I heard it turns your hair green? :O

Carrie

You mean the first pic? There are many on that page.

I wouldn't really expect henna or a henna mix to give you that sort of color on any kind of hair, since it's pretty subtle and not very warm (red/gold). Henna is very warm and very intense. If you bleached your hair to a light brown and then did a very dilute henna gloss, maybe you could get close to that, but you'll still get orange sparkles in bright sunlight. A lot of brunettes pull red anyway when they bleach, so you may get red enough with bleach that you won't need henna.

Putting henna on bleached hair doesn't make your hair green. Plain henna on bleached blonde hair will be bright coppery orange.

chrisg

For a naturally black haired person to get that desired hair color will be impossible without bleaching it, followed by serious upkeep. You cannot get anything like this with adding dyes. You would have to bleach it down to light or medium blonde, then dyeing it with ash and perhaps adding some violet or other reflexes, and then bleaching (!) the highlights again to a light or medium blonde.

As for the color as such, I have had similar results from herbal mixtures (not doing highlighting though). 5% or thereabouts henna was used.

chrisg

The bleaching or the hennaing afterwards?

If you top the bleaching with henna immediately you will not get green hair. I just did that BTW.

hott.stuff
Re: Black to Brown with Henna?

I have black/brown hair too, and honeslty I wouldn't go with henna.... for people like us with black/brown hair, it's a lot better on lighter or medium browns :( the henna turned my golden brown dyed hair red, and not my natural black hair -.-.

ACWN
Re: Black to Brown with Henna?

Like I said in your post, hott stuff... henna and other plant dyes cannot lighten hair. Never will. Reason for this is that henna's dye is translucent - it can only add to what you have. If your hair is black, all it can do is add a red shine in the sun.

Any henna brand claiming it can turn dark hair lighter isnt henna.