A little question regarding henna and proteins

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Marianneh
A little question regarding henna and proteins

Hi guys,

So I have another question. I have recently started to use a homemade concoction for my hair (I started last month) which consists of coconut cream, yogurt, a little molasses, and a little coconut oil. I put this in my hair for a few hours and then rinse it out. It makes my hair super soft and just overall nice :D. I just wanted to make sure that if I am doing this as well as putting henna in my hair (my first henna treatment was last Friday) that I am not overloading my hair with protein.

I ask this because I have been reading through some posts on NaturallyCurly.com and some girls have been saying that henna is a sort of protein treatment and they said that they therefore stopped putting in protein treatments or used it a little but from what I have read in my research henna really isn't a protein treatment (at least that's what I understood). It doesn't seem to make sense since henna comes from a plant so it doesn't seem to make sense that it's a protein but I just wanted to ask on here seeing as I got the impression that a lot of you are henna pros :D. I would probably do my homemade mixture once a month and I want to do henna treatments bi-weekly but I don't want to end up ruining my hair. So if I have to cut one of the treatments out I would cut out the homemade treatment seeing as I love the fact that the henna helped to thicken my hair (after only one treatment) and my hair is super shiny!

(Sorry for the long post)

Any advice would be great! :D

Carrie
Re: A little question regarding henna and proteins

Henna may not be a protein treatment but it does similar things for hair, making it feel stronger and thicker. Some find that when they henna, they don't need protein treatments and if they continue to use them, they feel like they're getting protein overload (stiff, coarse feeling hair or brittleness) or they feel more need to supply moisture instead. You can try doing both and see if your hair likes it or not. If it doesn't, just use a clarifying shampoo and a moisture treatment to turn it around.

Marianneh

Hi Carrie,

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I shall do my homemade treatment this Friday and will see how my hair feels. If it doesn't feel right then I will probably cut it out or just cut down on the usage.

Thanks again! :D

chrisg

I love concoctions like that! If your hair needs it, go ahead. I suggest leaving out the coconutCREAM and the yoghurt while doing henna treatments and see if that works for you. Avoid fresh fruitstuffs also, or avocado, they contain enzymes that will affect the effect of the henna. Honey also constitutes as a "protein" in this sense. I have not experienced any adverse effects on the hennaing after treatments with honey in them, but some people say they do.

I love doing such treatments either for two hours or overnight before henna treatments. Curly or dry hairs can require alot of upkeep. Anyways, better covering the hairs with oil than with shampoo or silicones before the hennaing. Did wonders for me. Henna or cassia etc always leaves my fine and curly hairs very dry if I dont. I dont do this before every hennaing though. Sometimes I only use a lighter version of the concoction as a conditioner afterwards instead. And for the curls: some concoction diluted 1:10 with water in a spraycan, at any time I feel like it. You have to do your own experimenting there :-)

PS

If you have to run for the bathroom to look for your cooking ingredients, then you will know that you most likely are not using anything in your hair that creates build up!

Marianneh

Hi Chrisg,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I agree! Taking care of curls can sometimes be difficult...but I LOVE my curls and I wouldn't have my hair any other way! :D. I took me a loooong time to understand how to treat my hair. I also got a little bit of dryness after my first henna attempt but it went away after I did a DC for about an hour.

I actually use minimal amounts of products on my hair, in terms of store bought stuff. I usually co-wash, I clarify my hair when I feel it is dirty, or use a little amount of ACV diluted in bottled water as a rinse. After I wash my hair I use a leave-in conditioner and then seal my hair esp the roots with some form of oil such as almond oil, EVOO, or coconut oil and that's it.

When I do protein treatments or DC for moisture I generally use stuff I have mixed up myself from my kitchen cabinet unless I feel that my hair is esp dry then I use my store bought coconut DC. (As you can probably tell I LOVE coconut!) :D

Out of curiosity would you recommend that I do an ACV rinse after I henna and get the water to run clear? I was thinking of doing that following the cheap conditioner wash since ACV helps to close the "pores" of the hair (I couldn't think of another word for "pores"). And then do my DC? Or would you recommend I do the rinse before the henna treatment?

Thanks!

chrisg

Hi Marianneh,

You might experience less need for an ACV after the henna treatment, but if it feels like you want to do it, just do it. Your feeling of strawiness after your first henna treatment indicates that you have the typically porous, curly hair. ACV is a good thing then. I get the same feeling on my hennaed hair. My otherwise slinky hair even makes sounds after henna treatments, if that makes any sense to you :-) But by the next hairwash this feeling is gone. Same with the curl-relaxing effect, it is easily counteracted.

Using ACV before the henna treatment? I am not sure what to recommend here. Perhaps it makes no difference. The mixture will stay on for a much longer time and any effect from the ACV would´nt be lasting.

I use alot of ACV. And I hate ACV. My porous hair collects the SMELL and conceals it while I´m home. It must be laughing secretly at me. As soon as I take a step outside and I get a drop of water on my head, it SMELLS: And so I use white vinegar instead. But that smells to, just differently. I am experimenting now whith som bark extracts which seems promising. Absolutely no smell whatsoever. Just haven´t figured out the best dilutions yet. Do you get the smell from the ACV?

Marianneh

Hi Chrisg,

My hair is porous and yes I know what you mean about the noise your hair makes :) it is almost like a squeaky noise... (can't think of any other way to describe it). I guess the henna takes up some of the natural oils in my hair. But as you said that was taken care of when I DC my hair and it went back to normal after that. 

I know what you mean about the ACV smell! I live in an EXTREMLY humid country and it gets ridiculous in the summer. So if I use ACV on a day that I know I'm heading out and will end up sweating because of the heat and humidity I put around one drop or two drops of an Essential Oil (EO)  in my AVC mix. I don't overdo it with the EO but it tends to "mask's" the smell somewhat... or at least I hope so :S

I think I will do the ACV rinse after my henna treatment and see how that feels becauseI forgot to do that the first time round.

Thanks for getting back to me! :D