Weekend Pro Artist Class almost $500?!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
XxSaraixX
Weekend Pro Artist Class almost $500?!

I live in the Seattle area and I really want to learn how to become a professional henna artist. There is a weekend professional artist class near where I live but its almost $500! Is that a reasonable rate??

I would like/preffer to find a mentor but I dont know what the best method of approach is for that sort of thing.

Any advice? 

ladytetsu
Re: Weekend Pro Artist Class almost $500?!

I charge $750 for individual classes. . .

If you really want to become a pro, skip the classes.  Do your research online, talk a lot on these forums, read read read, practice practice practice - if you REALLY want to get good, and you're not just looking to make a quick buck, most artists will be happy to help.  Honestly - the reason WHY I charge $750 for classes is because I get inquiries from people who often want me to tell them everything I know, give them gigs and paste, etc., and they only want to make money doing mediocre henna - for them it's about the business, not about the fun of henna.  So, for those people, I hang a really big price tag on it - if it's just business to them, it oughta be business for my pocket, too!  But the folks who really like henna and want to learn - often times, if you pipe up anywhere online, or hook up nicely with an artist locally, the monetary price doesn't even exist.  There are a LOT of great artists in Seattle - catch 'em online!  Find a conference and go to it - there's a GREAT one in California in  October - yes, you'll pay some, but you'll also be surrounded by teachers and friends and you might have something to teach someone, too!  And there are no secrets to henna - if you can't find the info at a reputable site like this one, it doesn't exist!  There are a whole PILE of ebooks here that taught ME everything I needed to get started and go pro - free for the love of henna! (ain't this place cool?)

XxSaraixX

Great advice. You just saved me $500... thank you!

Besides this forum, are there any other popular henna forums i should be checking out? 

ladytetsu

there are several, you can find them easily if you google.  Don't forget the vast number of books here, the forum does tend to slow down during the summer months when we're all out slinging our butts off, but it will pick up again soon!  Try finding folks on facebook, it seems to be a hotbed lately.  :)  I'm there, for one!

XxSaraixX

Sounds great. Thank you :)