Happy Hendigo Head!!! (PICS) / Post Hendigo Care?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Magical Mystery Girl
Happy Hendigo Head!!! (PICS) / Post Hendigo Care?

Alright everyone,

I just rinsed out my first hendigo and I'm loving the color!!! It's a beautiful milk chocolate brown! I can't wait to see it completely oxidized! I decided to go with a henna/indigo ratio of 40:60, because my hair swatch was still too copper and not quite as deep as I wanted... so I figured a 10% extra would make a minor difference without going too dark and not being able to turn back!

Questions now about post hendigo care... I hear that indigo can fade and one should avoid washing your hair for a few days after.  I only use shampoo once a week, but my curls require conditioner on a daily basis.  I had to use conditioner to get the hendigo out of my hair, because my hair is rediculously thick to begin with, the hendigo makes it 3 times thicker!  Am I allowed to condition my hair for the next few days? Can I still apply camellia oil as I do after the shower, or will it pull out the indigo? I hear of people doing apple cider vinegar rinses to seal the cuticle... is that something that is recommended after hendigoing?  What other tips could you give me for post-hendigo care?

Here's a before, during and after:

Before (As you can see, my hair was fried from all the chemicals...):

www.irrationalanthem.com/hendigo/beforesmall.jpg

During (Already loving the color of the mud bath):

www.irrationalanthem.com/hendigo/duringsmall.jpg

And.......   the final result! Not dry yet and obviously not oxidized:

www.irrationalanthem.com/hendigo/aftersmall.jpg

All dry! Tasty milk chocolate!

www.irrationalanthem.com/hendigo/drysmall.jpg

The shine is back! The frizz is gone! And the color? I love it! Not too dark and not too light.  I'll see how it oxidizes and whether or not the indigo decides to fade. I'm happy I made this decision! Thanks to everyone for putting up with my dozens of questions. :)

By the way, does anyone know the lawsone percentage of 2010 Moroccan henna? WHat would be Catherine's equivilent? 

xyz
Re: Post Hendigo Care?

I'm glad you love the color.  Can't wait to see the pictures!

Frankly, I personally shampoo and condition just after hendigo.  It's only a few people with very dye-resistant (or indigo resistant) hair who find it absolutely necessary to avoid shampooing for a couple of days after coloring.  Go ahead and follow your regular cleansing routine.  In a couple of weeks you'll be able to judge better how the final color will look, and you'll know whether you need to be persnickety with your immediate after care, or not.

Magical Mystery Girl

Ok excellent.  I remember when I did henna/buxus, even the buxus didn't budge, so I'm crossing my fingers with the indigo!  Just posted some photos.  Loving the shine! I can't wait to see it in the sunlight tomorrow morning!

ACWN

That color is gorgeous, Magical! If I were to go brunette, I'd so want that color right there! Wow

xyz

MMG, that is a scrumptions shade!  Congratulations!  Just to review, you used...

• 40% henna
  • 60% indigo

Correct?   And you started with dirty blonde or very light brown?  What liquid did you use for the dye-release?  Did you add any amla?   How long did you leave it on your hair?  (I'm trying to gather all the info onto one post for the benefit of others who might want to try a similar formula.)

Really, really, really beautiful!

Magical Mystery Girl

Thanks you too! :) I woke up and the copper has already mellowed out... although it's still on the warm side which I'm very happy about. :)

Yes, I started from a very damaged light brown.  The back layers were a bit lighter, because of a lot of old damaged growth compared to the top layers which were mostly virgin from numerous haircuts.

Here was my recipe:

40% Moroccan henna with warm, strongly brewed chamomile tea.  I got dye release within an hour. I decided not to add amla, since I wanted a warm shade.

60% organic indigo to which I added sea salt and warm water, stirred until pasty and added to my henna right away. 

I applied the mix to my head for 2 hours, sealed with a shower cap. :)

If I'd have known one could achieve such a pretty brown with indigo, I'd have used it a long time ago!! 

Magical Mystery Girl
Re: Happy Hendigo Head!!! (PICS) / Post Hendigo Care?

This was taken outside today...

www.irrationalanthem.com/hendigo/dayaftersmall.jpg

I trimmed some of my nasty ends off.

ashults74

Your hair looks beautiful! So happy for you! :-)

. Just curious... Do you have grays and did you need to dye a solid color before using henna?

Magical Mystery Girl

Thank you kindly! :)

I have no greys, and my roots were light brown.  My ends were very damaged from repeated bleach/blonde dyes over the spring. I dyed it all back to my natural color before applying hendigo.

Magical Mystery Girl
2nd application success!

Ok, as xyz advised, I did a 2nd application of 60:40 indigo/henna as I previously did, and I'm loving it! It's too dark and late for photos right now, but tomorrow morning I'm going to take some and compare the first application day after shots with the post 2nd application ones.  I definitely see more depth, and what I love is that the Moroccan henna, after a total of 4 hours in applications, is still in the very subtle copper range! I'm convinced Moroccan henna is the best to use for a more neutral brown!! After 4 hours of Jamila last year, my hair was very deep paprika red.  I'd be curious to see straight up Moroccan henna on hair now! 

I used the 2010 crop from Henna Sooq.  Does anyone know the lawsone content for 2010 Moroccan henna? I absolutely love it!

ashults74
Re: 2nd application success!

How is Moroccan henna for gray coverage compared to Purity?  Have you tried Purity?

Magical Mystery Girl
Re: 2nd application success!

No I haven't tried Purity... I got my henna from Henna Sooq, because the shipping is a lot cheaper to Canada (where I am).  I've tried Jamila 2010 and it was a much stronger red after a total of 4 hours application! Right now, on my hair, I see a very subtle copper shimmer under the brown. I used organic indigo, which is apparently the weaker of her two crops, which she recommended to me because I wanted a softer brown. There's another batch she carries right now which is for resistant greys, so I'm assuming that one teamed with Moroccan henna would do the trick?

All I know is that she specified it was the least likely to allow red to peek through.  It leans more on the orange side.  Orange and blue (indigo) make brown).

Which is Catherine's hennas lean more orange? 

Magical Mystery Girl
Overnight oil treatment?

Before bed every night, I usually apply coconut and jojoba oil to my hair and rinse it out in the morning in the shower.  However, is it a bad idea to do so after henndigo?

xyz
Re: Overnight oil treatment?

It sounds like your indigo is taking well and perhaps it wouldn't be affected by the oil at this point, however, just to make sure and not undo so much goodness, I would skip the jojoba and coconut for a day or two, or perhaps use it very sparingly, only on the last cm or so of length. 

Re: the dye content of the henna you're currently using--As far as I know, mehandi.com/dancing lizard is the only company that sends all their henna crops to be assayed, and thus the only one that can make claims as to what amount of lawsone (dye) there is in each.  In other words, there is no way for any "public" person to know the lawsone content of the henna you're using (maybe that company knows, but I doubt it, because henna assaying is not common practice) and no guarantee that the next batch of henna will behave the same.  Without a "number" to go by, you won't know next time if what it's in your baggie is the same, much stronger, or much weaker in dye content than what you just used.

chrisg

Don´t think that will be a problem. But if youre going to use it immediately before a henndigo - go easy on the jojoba.

By the way: Beauuuuutiful colors, both after the first and the second treatment =)

Wow

Magical Mystery Girl

Thanks so much! There's no turning back now! I'm in love with the stuff!  I went out and bought a few cone-free conditioners today to try out and further pamper my new locks.

The 2nd application really did the trick at evening out the overall color.  The bleached bits were a bit more resistant from all the chemical damage.  I chopped out all the really damaged bits, so now it's on the road to healthy regrowth into shoulder length. :)

I appreciate everyone's help so very much. :)

Magical Mystery Girl
What a difference!!

Here is a picture comparing my 1st application with my 2nd application... similar lighting outside. I found my hair to be a bit brittle and squeaky after the 1st one... but after the 2nd one, it's frizz-free and ultra soft! What's very strange is that I bought a sulfate free conditioner a while back (Organix argan oil) which made my hair very dry in my chemical dye days... but I took it off the shelf today and my hair has not one strand of frizz in it! Very soft too... and I even skipped on my camellia oil application before styling! Why would that be? Maybe my hair's happy with me for removing all the chemicals. :)

www.irrationalanthem.com/hendigo/1and2.jpg

I've achieved the perfect depth now with two applications.  Question... When my light brown virgin roots come in, how can I alter my 60:40 indigo/henna recipe to avoid having to do 2 applications? 

xyz
Re: What a difference!!

Two things that I think might help:

• don't let your roots get too long before you retouch.  In your case (because you liked the extra darkness) you'll want your applications to overlap a bit
  • increase the time you left the hendigo paste on, but without quite doubling it.  For example, if you did 2 hours each time (for a total of 4) try 3 hours for your next root touch up
Magical Mystery Girl

How long does indigo typically last for in terms of dye release? Wouldn't 3 hours push the henna more? 

And good call on the roots more frequently... I suppose I can apply to my roots once... then next application, apply to the roots and the growth I previously did, if my eyes will allow me to see it well that is.

xyz

The slight overlap is easy to manage (without straining your eyes) if you make a point of coloring your roots when they are about 1/2 inch long (or whatever length you choose, the 1/2 in. is just an example).  What you do is you color 1 inch (that new 1/2 inch plus another 1/2 inch that already had some hendigo) everytime you touch up your roots.  This way, every 1/2 inch section gets colored twice.  Does that make sense?

Indigo in a hendigo is strongest for the first 2 hours, and then starts slowly declining in staining power. It doesn't die off suddenly.  At 3 hours it's still giving color and thats why I suggested increasing the timing somewhat--both to compensate for the double application you needed and to let some of the henna warmth you liked come through.  These are of course estimates--you'll have to experiment and see what works best for you!

Kerilynne223

Mystery girl- Not trying to hijack your thread but I had a question for you and the other ladies here. My color now is almost exactly like your first henndigo picture, except I have gotten mine from repeated henna use. My length is a tad lighter, which is mostly noticable in the sun (where it looks 3 shades lighter, don't ask me how that happens lol). You're second henndigo looks exactly how I want my hair... Do you think if I did your 60:40 indigo to henna mix, same timing, we'd get almost the same results? I had planned on strand testing but your picture basically looks like a copy of my hair color, and I am awfully impatient when it comes to coloring hair :)

Magical Mystery Girl

Hey, it's no problem. :) If the thread helps others, then great! :)

Have you ever used indigo on your hair? If not, it would be a question of knowing whether or not indigo will stick, although a solid base of henna is what I'm reading allows indigo to do so.

What kind of henna do you use? I use Moroccan.  I'll let the experts answer you on that one. :)  Perhaps a picture will help?

Kerilynne223

I am not quite sure what region my henna came from, but it was Celebration 100% BAQ from mehandi.com. It was some good stuff, made very noticable auburn change to my hair. It looks very nice, just the sultry brunette look henndigo gives is so enticing! :).

I never have used indigo before, but my hair pretty much absorbs anything and keeps it there... and I am thinking from the henna previously on my hair, the indigo will like its new home :).

I'll post a picture of my hair indoors. Outside it flares an auburn on my regrowth and underneath of my hair. and on the length which has chemical damage it is a bright coppery red. In indoor lighting it all looks auburn.

Indoor bathroom lights on- all auburn

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn54/lovers_with_fats/hennahair.jpg

Outside overcast, more accurate

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn54/lovers_with_fats/hennahair2.jpg

Magical Mystery Girl

Nice color! I can see the resemblance with my 1st application most definitely.  I'd say strand test my ratio of 60:40 indigo/henna.