Should I get something besides Punjabi Prime

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
angelalynne
Should I get something besides Punjabi Prime

Hi,

I'm a natural redhead and my hair is fading to strawberry blonde and even looks blonde or gray in some areas, especially as it comes in (I guess my follicles are about done producing their natural red - sad).  Enter henna!  I've been using the Punjabi Prime for the last year and want to continue with your henna indefinitely.  The only problem I am having is I generally let my roots grown out at least a half inch, sometimes an inch, and when I henna (though I concentrate on the roots) I still come out with this sort of graduated effect where it is a lighter red at the top versus a real saturated almost red wine or auburn sort of color at the bottom.  Is this because (obviously) the bottom of my hair has been hennaed much more than the new growth?  Or am I seeing the effect of not-as-good gray coverage as I could get (since my new growth is very very light)?  I'm thinking maybe I should try celebration or dark moon or something else with superior gray coverage but I don't know if that will help the graduation problem. Do you think it will?  

Here is a link to my facebook page so you can see the color of my hair after 2 or 3 applications of  punjabi prime in bright sunlight. You can't really see the graduation effect I'm talking about in this pic.  Maybe it has gotten more pronounced as time has gone on, which makes sense, but I don't have any recent pics.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1402451008 

Thanks for your advice!!

Angela

ACWN
Re: Should I get something besides Punjabi Prime

Try Yemen or purity, but strand test. Yemen has a nice high dye content that will probably give you the color you want in a single application rather than several.

Carrie

If you do full-head applications with Yemen or Purity you will likely build up to a darker color than you have now. You can do a roots-only touchup instead if you want to keep the color where it is.

angelalynne

Thanks for your answers.  I'm now wondering if the nature of the red (not necessarily the darkness, but the shade of red)  in purity and yemen is vastly different from punjabi prime, or if they are different from each other?  The PP is giving me a fairly bright coppery color now.  I like this because it is closer to what my natural color was than I would imagine "deep auburn" or "ruby" are (those are the colors I'm seeing in most descriptions for the Mehandi hennaes now). Besides the remaining Punjabi Prime are there any others that are more coppery like what I have now?  Maybe I should just go with a few samples...

Thanks again,

Angela

ACWN

Grab samples and strand test, however you can still do higher dye content hennas and get copper. You can either cut it with a large amount of cassia (which has a yellow dye), or do a rather diluted gloss. This would reduce the amount of henna dye thats going on your hair and would result in a more copper shade. You'd still want to strand test to get the ratios right though.

PatriciafromCO

There is something about the under tone of PP that I continue to like, my root mix is 2tsp Yemen, 2 tsp PP, 6 tsp of cassia it's enough for two root applications. My roots sound like your root color am a natural readhead and with aging my roots are like a grey, ashy color. I have a few strans of white at my temples..  I use a full head application of cassia between root touch ups and I get good color build up on my roots of golden tones from continuesly doing this.. I get a med strawberry blonde with my root mix  that keeps my color light and even if it does overlap it's a dulited enough mix it stays on the light side with a nice red to the rest of my length, once hair becomes the length it catches the light different and seems darker, so the med strawberry blonde color works well in the long run to  keep my my total color on the light side.  I usually let my roots grow out about an inch just using the cassia full head treatments...  It's a hard choice between yemen and PP,, they are both nice colors think someone else mentioned that PP had a blue undertone to it and I felt that was a good discription for the difference.

angelalynne

Your hair does sound similar to mine, Patricia.  That's quite a specific mix you have going there.  You must have more strand-testing patience than I do :-)   But I do think cassia plus a high dye henna will be the key...

Thanks for your help!

Angela

angelalynne

okay, I just read the whole forum.  I guess I should have done that first.  It seems a gloss and/or low dye content henna (maybe I'll stock up on PP) AND being careful not to layer applications is going to be my ticket to the bright coppery color I like.  Which is the exact opposite of what I thought I was going to do (high dye content + cassia).  The auburn I have at the bottom from the PP buildup is interesting, but I do like the brighter part on the new growth better.   I also like the idea that I bet the henna is probably easier to apply with the slip of the conditioner mixed in.  My coarse curly hair gets in this kind of tangly "gridlock" situation when the henna is in it and it's harder to be sure the henna is getting to the roots - where I really need it.  And I'll use the cornstarch to keep from dripping.

Thanks everyone!

Angela