Purity and Amla. Need a lil advice please :)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
mauiangel
Purity and Amla. Need a lil advice please :)

Aloha, 

Been using henna for almost two years now (mostly PP and Jamila) However, I've never added amla to my mix before. I'm excited to try this new Purity because it's said to have a higher dye content and more of a brown tint than the other hennas. I'm adding amla to bring my bounce back and push my color as brown as possible without adding indigo or buxus. ( I STILL have that darn dark line from a previous hendigo)

I usually mix my henna with tea and the juice of one lemon. Would you ladies recommend adding amla to my mix before dye release or after? How much amla to 100g's of henna? 

Also, if I mix up a huge batch of henna as I usually do is it still ok to freeze it if I've mixed it with amla?

Will adding amla affect how henna covers my gray? I have medium brown hair and so far jamila and PP covered my grays very well staining them redrum.

LAST very important question: I just now opened the box to my new order of "Purity" henna that I received today. The silver packages inside read "Jamila 2009"  what's the deal? Pretty sure ordering "Jamila 2009" from this site would have been a bit cheaper than ordering "Purity". What's the difference between the two and why are they packaged the same?

Thank you ~A~

ACWN
Re: Purity and Amla. Need a lil advice please :)

Amla probably wont make your color more brown. Amla doesnt have a dye on its own and even if it does push it more towards brown, its very minimal.

Before or after, doesnt matter. If you mix the amla in before, I recommend using it as your acid as amla is acidic. You would just need distilled water. 25 grams for every 100 grams of henna. Sits 12 hours.

Amla wont change henna's effect on grays, so far that I know.

Its most likely just packaged in those sleeves, nothing more. PP is packaged the same way.

mauiangel

Thanks for your speedy reply ACWN :)

I thought I recalled reading a post from you that if you add amla to henna it will tone down the orange?(whatever amount of orange I can tone down will be a bonus :)

regarding the packaging. Is "Purity" henna simply a 2009 crop of Jamila henna from abid and co. labeled as "Purity" to separate it from other crops such as "celebration" that have different dye contents?

Carrie

Amla will make your henna appear slightly darker and less orange right away. As the color oxidizes over time it does take on a *slightly* more brownish one.

Purity and Celebration are names for particular batches that have been laboratory-tested at Catherine's direction (and expense) by an independent lab (not by the manufacturer) for dye content, lead, and pesticides. You'll notice that those lab-tested hennas all have a batch number on the box.

The "Jamila 2009" foil packaging is how it comes from the manufacturer. That will be the same even if the henna inside is from one of the lab-certified batches. Only the outer packaging will indicate the batch number associated with the lab testing.

If you buy a box of henna labeled simply Jamila 2009, whether here or elsewhere, the batch it came from has not been lab tested. If it were to be tested, it may or may not show similar results ... quite likely it would not, since Catherine has proven that different batches of Jamila even from the same year have widely varying test results. 

Carrie

Jen has posted that a lemon juice mix (all lemon juice) will give less orange results initially, so you are not so Day-Glo orange for a day. Perhaps that's what you're remembering?

mauiangel

Thank you Carrie, you're always so helpful and considerate. I appreciate the detailed response :)

Nope, I think the post I was recalling was to Whichypoos just recently since she's now *a return hennahead* and was dealing with some orange roots. It's all good. I got the amla now so may as well check it out for myself :) hopefully it will only help!

Best, ~A~