Was hoping for Auburn but....

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
feather
Was hoping for Auburn but....

I have been using henna powder from a local grocery store for about 2 yrs so my hair has been more red than brown. I recently switched and just tried the med. brunette (henna and indigo) - I was hoping for a lighter brown/auburn but it has come out very dark, almost black. 

I am curious if I can correct this by mixing less indigo next time?  And wondering how soon I can correct this? My hairdresser has warned me about 'over layering' colour but not sure if that applies to henna.  I would love to try and get a more auburn colour and would love to try for that over the next couple of days.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  I did try and wash some of the indigo out with shampoo and Vitamin C (I saw this suggestion on a past forum) but it did not seem to work.

Thanks so much :-)

Magical Mystery Girl
Re: Was hoping for Auburn but....

Yes, henna does not lift any color from your hair, so every layer you add, overlaps the previous ones. Perhaps some honey lightening treatments? 

ACWN

Unfortunately there isnt really much you can do to correct it - adding more henna and indigo will only make it darker/black. You can try a handful of baking soda in with your shampoo or using dish soap, but if its been over 24 hours, its going to be pretty much impossible to lift the indigo.

You have to remember, these things are permanent in the most literal of senses. And do NOT use bleach!!! Your color will end up moldy green - everything but the indigo will lift.

This is why we say strand test...

feather

Thanks for your reply! I am wondering if I could eventually just put straight henna in? I am hoping I am not stuck with this colour. I am guessing my hair will be more red if I leave the indigo out? Thanks again for your help!

xyz

feather,

Check the thread I linked below.  I used the Vitamin C treatments described there and lifted a liiiiiitle bit of my indigo, enough to restore some of the warmth with a subsequent henna-only application.  It was a lot of work, but perhaps worth a try in your case?

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/1204

Now, I have to tell you...in "professional" hair coloring terms, medium brown is actually much darker than most people think it is.  You really shouldn't have expected to get auburn with the medium brunette kit.  Pure henna, which Ancient Sunrise is, cannot lighten hair, so if you start with anything darker than "dirty blonde" you won't get a very noticeable red.  A reddish hue over your base color, yes, but not strawberry or ginger or light auburn. 

If you try the Vit C, let us know the results, please.  Thanks!