Which henna?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
brelj
Which henna?

Hello,

It's almost time to order new henna!!! I wasn't really satisfied with my last henna (wasn't from mehandi), because it was to orange (i'm a natural brown/ash head) I'm not grey and I use indigo or buxus to get my color towards (dark) brown. I want a really deep, almost purple red glow. ( I'm new to henna, colored like 2 times)

Another question about henna: my friend is blond ash with greys and she like the cinnamon color, but she hates orange. I thought of mixing henna, cassia, alma and buxus. But which henna to use? I'm going test offcourse but if I use yemen I'm scared that it will go to dark... So which henna will not give orange, has grey coverage and is not to dark with buxus to get that cinnamon color? (or is this impossile???)

Sorry for the long mail, and thank you!

Greetings Julia

Carrie
Re: Which henna?

For your deep red/almost purple I would go with Celebration. Yemen would be my second choice for you.

For your friend, the Cinnamon bundle would work.

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/blondebundle/index.html

The gray hair would come out a little lighter than the ash blonde hair, like highlights. If she would like a redder shade than cinnamon (a medium reddish brown), then she could combine Yemen henna with buxus in equal parts.

I suggest preparing the buxus separately with water *after* the henna has dye release, and use the mixture immediately. I get better dye from the buxus that way, compared to mixing it with acidic liquid and letting it sit, like henna.

If she wants to, she can use amla instead of acidic liquid in the henna mix. Adding cassia would make the color come out lighter (see first photo on Blonde Bundles page).

brelj

Thanks Carrie!!!

shaids

Try jamila Henna, mostly used by henna artist and also good for hair.

http://jamilahenna.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1543174

ACWN

Jamila is a good, safe brand, but its dye content can be all over the map from one box to the next. If you want a henna that will be the same from bag to bag, purchase one of the labeled hennas from mehandi.com, they're lab tested so their dye content remains constant from batch to batch.