Henna Traditional or Henna Gloss

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kai
Henna Traditional or Henna Gloss

I have been researching henna for several weeks now and I think I am ready to begin. I have plenty of gray I would like to cover and I would love to have experience the softening and conditioning affects of henna. However, I am a little nervous about changing my curl pattern, I have a zig-zaggy pattern not true spirals and the dryness post henna-ing. 

I am attracted to the idea of the henna gloss, using a conditioner as a mixing medium, introduced to me by CurlyNikki's site.  Could I get the same benefits of a traditional henna application just using the gloss method?

My plan: 

-- 150g to 200g of Celebration henna

-- 1 - 1.5 cups brewed green tea

-- 1.5 cups of Neutrogena Triple Moisture Mask (a thick deep conditioner my hair loves already but it does have Dimethicone) 

-- 2 teaspoons of olive oil

-- apply to clean detangled hair and leave in overnight

Please help

Carrie
Re: Henna Traditional or Henna Gloss

You'll get the same type of benefits, sure, and possibly less relaxing of the curl. But the effects from henna dye (color, shine, smoothness, softness, etc) are cumulative. Any amount of henna you add to the hair will add more of those benefits, until it reaches saturation. So if you use a gloss you won't get quite as much of those benefits as you would with full strength henna, but Celebration is so packed with dye that even in a gloss I bet you'll be happy with the conditioning effects.

Kai

Thanks so much for replying.  Is it the mixing in of conditioner that makes it a gloss? Does the conditioner decrease the strength of henna? I plan to use that mixture on a weekly basis for 4-8 weeks then on a monthly basis. Does that make a difference? 

Carrie

It's the dilution of the full-strength paste with something that isn't a dye that makes it a gloss. Conditioner can serve that purpose, or pectin gel, xanthan gum, yogurt, pudding - the possibilities are endless :) 

Since it is diluting the dye, it decreases the strength of the henna.  The amounts of henna and conditioner you're talking about involve quite a bit of henna so it's debatable whether we would call this a gloss or just henna paste with some conditioner added :)   More usually a gloss would be something like 1 or 2 Tbsp henna in a cup of conditioner, something like that. So your gloss is a pretty strong gloss. Using it weekly for 6-8 weeks will build up to near saturation in terms of color and conditioning, I think. You could see curl relaxation with that amount of henna, that many times, for sure.