Frozen Paste, Buxus & Amla

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Beanut
Frozen Paste, Buxus & Amla

Hello ~

I had made up a batch of henna/indigo and when i didn't use it all, I froze it.

I know the indigo is just basically 'filler' now and won't have any color, but I'd like to use the paste with some Buxus to try to take care of my roots.

If the original mix was about 1/2 cup inidigo and 1/2 cup henna, then if I add 1/2 cup Buxus I will equal parts henna/buxus and the third part (indigo) is just basically nothing right?

I'm assuming there would be no point in adding Amla to it now? I mean that wouldn't push it even more brown with frozen/thawed paste would it?

Thank you!!!

Carrie
Re: Frozen Paste, Buxus & Amla

If the original mix was about 1/2 cup inidigo and 1/2 cup henna, then if I add 1/2 cup Buxus I will equal parts henna/buxus and the third part (indigo) is just basically nothing right?

That depends... how much of the original mix is still left? If you're saying you STILL have 1/2 cup indigo and 1/2 cup henna, then adding 1/2 cup buxus would give you a 50/50 mix by volume  - by weight would be a different story, and going by weight would give you a browner result. Look at this page to see why (henna is quite a bit heavier than buxus):

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/36

The dead indigo would be inert filler, as you say.

But if you mixed 1/2 cup each of henna and buxus and then used half of it and only have half left, you'd have 1/4 cup henna in your thawed paste and would only need 1/4 cup buxus to make a 50/50 mix by volume.

Adding amla now would still have a slight browning effect. Don't mix the buxus and amla together directly though, the acidity could inhibit buxus dye release. Add amla to the henna paste and stir thorougly. Mix buxus and warm water, then add the buxus paste to the henna paste.

Beanut
Re: Frozen Paste, Buxus & Amla

Ok, I get what you're saying, that totally makes sense!

Thank you Carrie!!