Need advice from the experts

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
AniaT
Need advice from the experts

I seem to be getting lots of breakage down the length of my hair since I started using henna. Dissapointing since I switched to keep my hair healthy.

The first time I used it, it was 3 months ago, 90% henna and 10% indigo w/ chamomile tea, 4 hours. It left my hair extremely dry and crispy feeling for weeks and it started breaking off a whole lot. Lots at the ends and even in the middle and near the roots. The ends looked really frayed after using the hendigo. I had been using Citrashine shampoo and conditioner and paul mitchell leave it repair treatment before and after. I do not blowdry or use heat styling or any other products in my hair. My hair had always loved those products in the past and though full of silicones, my hair always did well with them. After a couple of weeks it bounced back a bit and then I got a trim. But I still see some damage from that whole experience.

I switched to cone free products shortly before this last henna cause I suspected there was some interaction between the cones and henna that caused my hair to be dry and brittle...like too much of a good thing. So, I did henna again, no indigo this time (since it gave me a massive headache last time), again w/ chamomile tea for 4 hours. It got super dry and crispy again but this time it went away with the first shampoo. But it is looking a bit damaged to me. I'm not sure if it's from the henna or the fact that I am not masking the damage with silicones or that it is damage from the last time. What worries me most is that there is even breakage at my roots that only have henna on them and have never been touched by chemical dye. Those should be super strong.

My hair seems less pliable, meaning that any little pull on it or putting it up for a couple of hours, now causes it to break. It also seems to pull out easier. You know the feeling when your hair gets tangled and it starts to pull a couple of hairs? It feels like that all the time except my hair is not tangled or being pulled by anything. I guess that could be the added weight. My hair is heavier now and thicker looking. That is a plus.

Any ideas on what can be going on? Do you think the henna changed my hair enough that it is now not liking the products I used before or does my hair just not like henna?

Any idea on what products to use that may be more compatable with my hennaed hair?

I have fine hair, naturally mousey brown, but lots of it. It is long and straight with a tad of a wave to it. It has always damaged easily. Interstingly enough, the first henna straightened the wave, which came back after several weeks. This henna did not. But that could also be the lack of silicones weighing it down in addition to the henna.

Anyway, any thoughts? I'm hoping this is just that the henna changed my hair and I need a new routine for the different hair.

It does seem to be fairing better without the cones but, of course, does not look as shiny and the damage can be easily seen now.

Ania

ACWN
Re: Need advice from the experts

I would try a deep moisturizing treatment to start off with. Honey and conditioner for a long period of time (at least an hour) or coconut oil left on overnight, something like that. That might help your hair a great deal.

You may also have to go through trial and error to find what shampoo and conditioner your hair now likes as it can change depending on age/hormones and what you do to your hair.

However, some people do find that their hair simply does not like plant dyes and instead of it conditioning and strengthening, it makes the hair dry and brittle -  I've heard of this kindve thing happening with cassia before so it stands to reason it can happen with henna as well. This may be what is happening.

ladytetsu

sounds to me like you are dealing with 'cone detox.  Everybody's hair is different, heaven knows, but it does sound like the cones were masking fairly fried hair and you noticed the nuclear damage that first henna because you were stripping the crud out.  I don't know citrashine, but I wonder if it's acidic - if you feel dry and crunchy, steer clear of acid preps, it'll crunch you worse.

My hair feels weird the night after a henna, and doesn't really feel "right" until after the next shampoo.  I'd say, simplify your regimen, pare it down to basics,and avoid all cones and alcohols.  Coconut oil is a FABULOUS conditioner, and it's cheap.  I'm not an expert, but after an initial "what the heck just happened there?" phase for me, too, my hair has NEVER been better. :)

Kere

Maybe it's the chamomile?

I tried using a chamomile tea rinse to bring out the blond highlights when I was in high school (I wasn't allowed to play with things SunIn or whatever that stuff was, this was the late 80's, LOL) and it made my hair very breaky and splitty.  If I remember correctly, I was using dried chamomile flowers and water, steeped for an hour with a tablespoon of honey.

I'm planning on experimenting with henna this summer but I wasn't planning on doing chamomile because I remembered that my hair didn't like it.  I was thinking of using a hibiscus tea since my hair does like it.

ETA:  I should clarify:  I'm planning on experimenting with hair henna, I do body henna a lot, with varying degrees of success.

Lavendark

Was the henna you used BAQ? If it wasn't, it could have been a compound, and from what I have heard this type of henna is bad news.

I switched up my whole hair routine after using henna. I use Aubrey Organics shampoo & conditioner now, as they contain no sulfates, cones, or alcohol. Sometimes if my ends feel dry I'll get a teaspoonful of sweet almond oil, rub it between my palms, and smooth it over the ends. Works wonderfully. I also deep treat with 1/2 cup almond oil & 1/2 cup avocado oil, heated. Smoosh it all through my hair, wrap in plastic wrap, and leave on for 30-45 minutes. I do this about once every couple of months. I can now wait 8-10 weeks between trimmings, whereas before henna I had to get a trim every 6 weeks or the ends would become "see-through".

Also, how are you washing out your henna? You may want to look into a mermaid soak instead of rinsing straight out. Could be the "grit" of the henna is stressing out your fragile hair shaft. After a few more hennas coat them this shouldn't be a problem though.

AniaT

I used yemen henna from Catherine. I think the poster that said it may be the chamomile tea has a good point. I don't think my hair likes anything acidic. I think it can be a combo of the tea and the cones. It is better without the cones.....at least less breakage, but looks worse. But there is still something about when I do henna that is damaging it. Is there a better liquid I can try to mix it with if it is the tea damaging it?

What do you all think about me doing a short application of henna with just warm water to see if it helps the damage at all or if it furthers it. At least then I will know if it is the henna or the tea. I just don't know how I would get a good lasting stain/bond without an acid in my mix.

Ania

Carrie

I'd suggest plain cool water. Henna itself is mildly acidic. Very few people are troubled by henna fading unless they use boiling or hot water.

I have never before heard of anyone feeling their hair was damaged by chamomile tea ... that herb has a long history of use in herbal hair care and is known to be quite gentle.

Are you using henna on virgin hair, or had you used other processes like bleach, dye, straightening, before henna? If so, perhaps some of the old damage is more apparent simply as your hair has aged, or as you adapt to more natural haircare methods? Cones are very good at masking damage and some find that when they stop using cones they see the damage that was there all along ... just some thoughts.

AniaT

Part of my hair is chemically dyed and the 6 inches or so near my scalp is not. The damage is showing on that part as well. In fact, it seems to be more damaged there than at the ends which is weird.

But my hair really is sensitive. I really have to be careful about the way I wash it, detangle it, dry it(blotting with towel only) and cannot use heat on it. Even one blowdry or curling iron use causes damage so I don't use either. Chemical dye was causing some damage too but I think this is causing more. Part if it can be my hair getting more tangly now and having to brush through it. Not putting a "cone" product into it after washing makes it tangle. Maybe I need to pick up some oil or something to subsitute that with. Going to get some coconut oil today and try that. If I can find pure aloe, I may try that as well for some moisture.

It could also be that my hair always tangled easily and the henna is making it more course so making the problem worse.

Ania

Carrie

What more commonly happens with repeated henna use is the hair becomes less porous and very smooth-surfaced so it tangles less. But of course people's hair varies so results vary as well.

It is perfectly fine to use silicones on hennaed hair, by the way. Some people's hair just looks and behaves better with them.

When my hennaed hair starts seeming dry, crispy and tangly as you describe, it means I need to do a clarifying shampoo and get a clean slate. That usually takes care of the problem for me, and then I can return to my usual gentler cleansing methods for another week or two.

Another trick is to do conditioner-only washing with a light conditioner (I use Suave) and after the final application, don't rinse it all out completely - leave some of that slimy-feeling conditioner in your hair. Really helps with softness and tangles.

Kere

I was the one who suggested that the chamomile tea may dry your hair out a bit.  Because it dries mine out a lot.  It just gets very dry and strawlike when I use products with chamomile in them.  It also makes my scalp itch and gives me dandruff.  So I tend to avoid it.