Brown to Black - What are the chances of blue showing up in my hair with Indigo?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
angelofdzire
Brown to Black - What are the chances of blue showing up in my hair with Indigo?

I am very interested in dying my hair black.  However, through some research I've read the mentioning of blue coming out in the final result of color.  What are the chances of this happening?  Will the blue eventually fade?  As much as I would love a suttle hint of blue in my hair I am a reservist in the military, and blue highlights are a huge no-go.   I appreciate all and any advice! 

Also, would you be able to go from one color like Henna red to brown?  Are there any issues with going from one Henna color to another?

Thank you in advance. :)

Carrie
Re: Brown to Black - What are the chances of blue showing up ...

Blue is highly unlikely. A true black is what you'll get with a 2-step process (henna, followed by indigo).

You can start with henna for red tones, and then do a henna/indigo mix (1 step) for brown, and then do a 2-step process for black. No issues, except that if you use any indigo you will not be able to bleach or lighten your hair chemically until you've cut off that hair. If you try, you'll get green hair.

angelofdzire

Do you mean that I'll need to dye my hair with henna first, then second dye it again with a henna/indigo, and 3rd dye it again with indigo?  Or is it just henna then indigo?  Also, the mix chart on Mehandi.com is why I asked the question.  For any color hair, to get a mixture that will change it to black, it says the result is blue-black.  Is there something specifc you have to do to get blue highlights to show up in your hair?

Jen

Just henna, then indigo -only two steps!

I'm not sure I quite agree with that chart about the blue black. Even with dark brown hair, I wouldn't neccessarily assume you'd get blue black. I would do some strand tests and see what you get. You can always leave the indigo on more or less time to get just the right color.

Carrie

Sorry for the confusion. I was answering your question about whether there were issues going from one color to another, e.g., red to brown. You had also asked about black, so I was saying you *can* go from red to brown to black, without any issues. But if all you want is black, then 2-step henna-followed-by-indigo is how you'd do that.