wood

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mir
wood

hello everyone!

so much has changed since i last paid a visit to the site and well am not a newbie here but i never quite had enough time to devot myself to ask an ponder over henna on wood...

all the old links within the site on wood related topics have disaperead that or am a retard and cant seem to find them

soo in a nutshell...help please!!

i have a soft-wood foot stool of which is currently very naked and i would love to go doodle crazy but am unsure on what is the right thing to do

1. the henna mix? what should i use? should i use just old henna or get some new fresh henna an i recal not to use any terps as it will cause 'bleeding'

2. glitter- ive seen so many beautiful designs of which i would love to adapt but no sure if i should use just a standard glitter base i.e hair gel or make a mix of gliter and henna?

3. seal-an not not the ones that are based in the atlantic! i am aware that wood stains can take up to 3mths but i dont think am too fussed as i want to 'cake' the henna on so it wont come off with use (remeber its a foot-stool) so whats the best thing i should do here? an i mean in terms of the mix, and the application

4. finally-to thin or not to thin is the question...if i apply a thinner application of henna will it be comprimised again i mean when it dries off will it crack off an am left with nothing?

help help help is mucho mucho MUCHO appreciated!!!

Spellstone
admin
Re: wood

Hi,

first you need to decide if you are keeping the henna on the wood or trying to get a stain? If you are going to keep the henna on you can use old henna, use plenty of sugar in the mix so it sticks real well and isn't going to crack and then varnish over the top with a product of your choice. I'd use something really tough like clear yacht varnish.

If you're trying for the stain you'll need the best henna you can get, no terps. Mix with lemon for a dark brown stain and water for a redder/orange stain. You can add a little sugar, the more you add the harder it is to scrape the henna off but you need good contact and minimal cracking too.

Hardwoods tend to take a better stain than softwoods as a softwood can draw the dye along the grain and blurr the design a great deal. I'd want to test in a place that wont show to see how much bleed the wood is going to give you.

A

Blurberrybuzz
Re: wood

I do quite a bit of wood products.  If you want the henna to just stain the wood, mix up just henna and lemon juice.  I like to use Raj because it's naturally stringy and doesn't crack.  Ideally leave the henna'd item in a warm moist place for a month or more.  It's summer in MN and I have my stuff sitting in my dining room.  I take it outside on the nice days.  I've been loving our hot humid days of late.  In a pinch, you can leave it just a week or so, but I prefer to leave it a long time.  Scrape the paste - steam it or scrape on a humid day if it doesn't want to come off.  Then you need to let it develop.  Some pieces I set in the sun and they darken a bit faster.  I usually give a piece a month and then seal it with a heavy duty sealant like Alex suggested.