To cover grays for very dark brown: 2-step or hendigo?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
spring water
To cover grays for very dark brown: 2-step or hendigo?

Hi,

I have very dark brown hair with little gray (whites actually) and my goal is to cover the grays back to my natural color.

(I'm Hungarian, and my English is not perfect, sorry for any mistakes.)

I did the hair test following Megumi's 2-step technique (henna followed by 90/10 indigo/henna mixture), and the result is great. But I find the process very long (3 hours for henna and 2 and a half hours for hendigo - I didn't wait for the 3 hours for the hendigo), although if there is no easier way for the same result then I'm still happy with it :-) My biggest fear about it is that whether I can get an even color with this 2-step technique if I do only my roots in the future... My dark brown hair got a little reddish in the test after the 100% henna, and I'm afraid that if I don't put the hendigo to the very same length as I did the henna, I may get reddish blotches in my hair - or black blotches if I put the hendigo to a place where there was no henna in the first step. I read that Megumi did only the roots later on, but she is a hairdresser, and I'm not... Does someone has an experience with it? Or can you tell how I could reach Megumi? (I'm new here).  I read that indigo dries hair if left on longer than 1 -1,5 hour. If I leave on the second step 90/10 indigo/henna mixture for 3 hours (as suggested without using a dryer) isn't it a problem? The 10% henna in it helps against drying? (Or the 100% henna already being on my hair?) One more question about this process: Do I have to do the second step the same day or can I do it the next day too? (I read on one page that I can but the others say to do it immediately). Does it cause any difference if the henna oxidizes on my hair for a day before doing the second step?

I'd also like to ask about the one-step hendigo. I read that for very dark brown hair we can use one part henna to four parts indigo. Does this mix work for grays too? I would use it more than once to get a deeper/richer color. (I haven't made the test for it yet.) Does this dye fade quicker as it doesn't have the henna as a base and has very much indigo in it (which tends to fade quicker)? How long can I leave it on for not drying my hair with this much indigo? Or this 20% henna in it protects aginst drying? This process would be more easy for me, also for the roots in the future - even if I have to repeat it many times. I hope it works for my grays...

Thank you for the answers in advance! :-)

I'm very very happy that I found this site, it helped me a lot! Thank you very much for creating it!

Carrie
Re: To cover grays for very dark brown: 2-step or hendigo?

Does someone has an experience with it? Or can you tell how I could reach Megumi? (I'm new here). 

• If you have a facebook account, you can Friend Megumi and message her there. (Megumi Organic Salon). I don't believe she has registered here yet.

I read that indigo dries hair if left on longer than 1 -1,5 hour. If I leave on the second step 90/10 indigo/henna mixture for 3 hours (as suggested without using a dryer) isn't it a problem? The 10% henna in it helps against drying? (Or the 100% henna already being on my hair?)

• I hear from forum users about full-strength 100% indigo being drying, not so much about hendigo, but a 90% indigo mix may behave similarly. The henna is in there to keep the indigo from going black, and I don't know if it would affect the drying propensity of indigo. Having henna in your hair already will be somewhat protective against any possible drying from the indigo. This drying effect doesn't appear to affect everyone, it seems kind of individual.

One more question about this process: Do I have to do the second step the same day or can I do it the next day too?

• Best practice is to do the indigo step right away but you may have perfect results even if you do it later. If you have trouble getting good results doing it the next day, we would suggest doing it the same day :)  but it may work just fine the next day, or even if you wait a week or longer (except by then you'll have more unhennaed roots!)

I'd also like to ask about the one-step hendigo. I read that for very dark brown hair we can use one part henna to four parts indigo. Does this mix work for grays too?

• It may. Really, some people's gray hair is very amenable to dyeing and others have to do everything juuuuuust right or their results suffer.

Does this dye fade quicker as it doesn't have the henna as a base and has very much indigo in it (which tends to fade quicker)?

• Indigo tends to fade a bit on virgin hair, whether it's a 1-step or a 2-step. It happens commonly, but not on every single person. One-step processes fade more often than two-step processes, but even a two-step could fade the first time it's used on virgin hair.

How long can I leave it on for not drying my hair with this much indigo? Or this 20% henna in it protects aginst drying?

• I think you'd be fine leaving your 80% or 90% indigo mix on for 3 hours, as far as drying goes. Colorwise you should strand test, of course.
  • If it's in your budget, a bonnet hair dryer would cut your time in half. A heat cap has been used successfully for the same purpose and that would be quieter, and probably less expensive. If you have a large amount of hair it might be tricky to fit all the pasted hair under the cap ... I don't know how big those caps are but Lexie used to use one with her henna.
spring water

Thank you very much for your help Carrie!

I will do a test for a one-step 80% indigo+20%henna mix then - hope it covers well and doesn't dry my hair :-)

If the one-step doesn't work, I have to use Megumi's technique - but I don't have a facebook account to contact her about the root touch up...

jocelina

My advice is based solely on my own experience with henna/indigo (which is not all that extensive), so definitely take this all with a grain of salt because everyone (and everyone's hair) is different.  :)

That said, I've had really good luck with the one-step method.  I also have very dark brown hair with a lot of white in it.  I pretty much just follow the instructions that come with the kits I buy -- I use a 2:1 indigo/henna blend, and I always let the henna develop fully before mixing and adding the indigo paste.  I usually leave it on for about four hours.  I find the color is really vibrant and lasting.  I do it every six weeks or so to cover up the white hair in the new growth, but I don't find that the color fades much at all.  That said, my hair is naturally very curly, and I think it being a bit more porous than straight hair may make the color stick better.  I also haven't noticed that this blend causes any dryness, and my hair is naturally prone to being dry.

Good luck!

spring water

Thank you Jocelina for sharing your experience! It's great to hear that it works for you :-) It's so good that it doesn't dry your hair even if leaving it on for 4 hours. My hair is rather straight (just a little wavy) but I hope it won't fade either. 

Do you get your original very dark brown color on your grays with this 2:1 indigo/henna blend? I thought it makes a less dark brown - that's why I'm thinking of trying a 4:1 indigo/henna... Before making the test I will wait for your answer because I've done many test so far and I don't have grays for that (as I have just about 5% yet), so I have to cut them for the tests...

Thanks in advance!