Walnut Oil

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
12th-of-Never
Walnut Oil

I've been reading up on various henna mixtures, and in the warnings section there is always counsel against using walnut oil or walnut shells to darken henna because people may be allergic to the walnut.

My question is this: if I know that the person I am doing henna on is not allergic to walnuts in food, is it still unsafe to use walnut oils in henna? She has been tested for walnut allergies and she has none, and I think this would be safe, but I'm not sure if the irritation walnut oils can cause is due to an allergic reaction to walnutes in general, or if it is because of a mild poison in walnut shells (like the poisons in acorns or cherry pits).

Thank you for your help!

Jen
Re: Walnut Oil

Some people who are not alergic to nuts do still have skin irritation from walnut oil. 

I don't recomend walnut OIL in any case though. I haven't seen any evidence that it makes a difference. Adding black walnut hull powder to the mix, or better yet simmering it and using the liquid in your mix, does make a browner and MAYBE darker stain, but the oil doesn't appear to be helpful.

12th-of-Never
Re: Walnut Oil

Oh! Alright. Thank you very much!