Finally achieved dark brown color for 80% grey hair

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
ravinder
Finally achieved dark brown color for 80% grey hair

Hi

I have been folowing these posts for years and have tried many mixes. My natural hair color is very dark brown and have more greys then dark.

This is the mix I use to get the hair very dark color.

I boil camomile tea  on low for few minutes then mix henna in it. Then I put the henna in a plastic zip lock bag and freeze it.

I thaw henna next day in warm water this is when the dye release happen. You can clearly see the beautiful red dye.

I then soak indigo separately in warm water and wait for 10 minutes for dye release. I mix henna in it (20/80) mix and then apply it to my freshly washed and  dried hair and leave it for at least 3 hours very important. When i wash I use the shampoo sparingly and the color is as good as any permanent hair dye without the damage it caused.

Cheers

Ravinder

spring water
Re: Finally achieved dark brown color for 80% grey hair

Hi Ravinder,

I'm just looking for the result you got - so thank you very much for sharing it!

Leaving 80% indigo for 3 hours doesn't dry your hair at all?

Did you do this 20/80 mix before without using camomile tea but putting some lemon juice into the henna as it is suggested on this page? It didn't work for you? I'm just curious what the camomile tea does with henna, I'm new in this field.

ACWN

You dont need lemon juice to get dye release, Spring. Chamomile tea is acidic enough on its own. And congrats ravinder! However, there are a few things in your mix that worry me.

1. You should never mix henna into boiling or super hot liquid as it will cause instant dye release and most likely rapid fading.

2. Freezing the henna right away. Given you mixed it in (I'm guessing) boiling water its okay because you had instant dye release, but Carrie has found it is NOT a good idea to freeze your mix right away because it doesnt help the dye release any. It in fact seems to slow it down and dull it some. Now, with a strong brewd (and cooled) chamomile mix its sortve okay because it causes dye release rather quickly so it releases before its frozen, but with stronger acidic mixes like lemon mixes its NOT recommended.

3. You waited for the indigo to dye release. As far as I know, indigo dye releases right away, so its not a good idea to wait. You mix and apply.

And just to note, you can apply it to damp hair, it actually tends to help the dye distribute better. It sounds like the way you're doing things works fine for you, ravinder, but these are just things to keep in mind incase your color starts to fade or turn a little weird on you (and by weird I mean the off chance the indigo starts showing up alittle green if the henna fades underneath).

spring water

Thanks ACWN, I've never thought chamomile tea is acidic :-)

Lavendark

Hmmmm....freezing henna right away, not a good idea now? I've been doing this for a couple of months. We had a thread going in the last forum about this, and all the experts said I could do it either way- wait for dye release or freeze immediately. I mix my henna with a little bit of lemon juice too. I usually thaw the batch in a bowl of warm water and the dye release happens in about an hour. Seems to work OK for me, I get a nice strong orange stain on my palm. Of course, I don't mix it with hot liquid though, that I knew was a no-no.

spring water

Hi Lavendark,

this freezing thing is new to me yet, but as I understand they say that it's not a problem to freeze it right away, but you don't get the extra dye from the henna what the freezing causes if you freeze it after dye release.

"Make sure dye release has begun before you freeze the paste if you are hoping to enhance dye release. ... If you freeze an acidic mix before it has started to release dye, it will not gain extra dye release from being frozen."

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/26

ravinder

I am sorry for taking so long to answer. No it does not dry my hair. I cover my hair with glad and leave it for 3 hrs. However it gives my itches but rinsing with ACV helps.

As for soaking henna I used to mix with ACV and leave overnight in warm spot. Since I started mixing it with camomile tea and freezing I find it very convienient. As I can thaw it as I need it.

When rinsing henna dont use very warm water and use shampoo sparingly.

I hope it helps.

ravi

spring water

Yes it helps, I'm glad to hear it doesn't dry your hair, thank you Ravi! :-) I hope then it won't dry mine either :-)

(Although I don't understand why you use camomile tea instead of ACV, mainly when it causes you itches and rinsing with ACV helps... Did I misunderstand something?)

I'm gonna do the test now with this 80indigo/20henna mix :-)

I'm gonna use a little real lemon mixed with water - as it was perfect for my 2-step test. I hope it will be okay for my skin too (don't give me itches) when I will color my whole hair :-)

I don't know the ratio for real lemon juice and water though... Can someone help? I guess I need just a little lemon, like 10%.

Carrie

I believe Real Lemon is reconstituted lemon juice so it is just like fresh juice as far as acidity. But it is okay to use less than full strength lemon juice in your mix, sometimes I have just added a splash of lemon (I never measure my liquids at all) which I suppose might make it around 10% of the liquid.

spring water

Hi Carrie,

thanks for the quick answer! I'm sorry but I don't really understand your first sentence... my English is not the best...

I meant to do the following: squeeze some lemon and to filter it, then add 90% water to it.

I think it's better to use just a little lemon because the less I use the less it can cause any problem (itching, etc.) for my skin if I leave it on my head for 3 hours. Of course this 20henna/80indigo mix contain just a very little lemon :-) so in this case it's not a problem, but if this 1-step mix doesn't work for my grays, I have to do the 2-step. (I don't have experiences leaving lemon juice on my skin for this long, I'm just guessing it's too acidic. But maybe mixed with henna it will give a neutral mixture...?)

Carrie

Oh, I see. I thought you were talking about bottled lemon juice product called "Real Lemon" but you simply meant it literally :)

The same answer applies though - 10% lemon + 90% water will work just fine. However, if you have experienced itching with lemon juice before it would be better to switch to a different kind of fruit juice like apple. Citrus sensitivity is not uncommon, and using a non-citrus fruit juice is a good option.

spring water

Ha-ha, yeah, I meant it literally :-) I haven't even heard about that product :-) I live in Hungary. (And I rather use original lemon, who knows what they put in those "real" products :-)) Anyway, this little confusion was funny :-)

I'm not sensitive to citrus - I'm just cautious :-)

Thanks again!

spring water

I'm ready with the 1-step 80%indigo/20%henna test - and it didn't cover my grays too well... They became blond with a little green in it... instead of dark brown. Will the green disappear in a few days? Is it worth to dye it again tomorrow or a few days later to make the color darker? I doubt that I will get a dark brown color though... Or maybe if I dye it three times...? (I made a 70indigo/30henna test too with about the same results.) I guess I did everything good because I could color my greys with the 2-step process very well a few days ago. And this time I used salt and lavender oil too...

I really wish to use this 1-step technique, as the 2-step seems hard for me. As I said, I'm afraid whether I can get an even color with the 2-step technique if I do only my roots in the future - what if I don't put the hendigo (90indigo/10henna: the second step) to the very same length as I put the henna...?

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/359/1278#comment-1278

Carrie said I can reach and ask Megumi about the 2-step root touch-up on facebook - but I don't have an account there. Before I would create one, I'd like to ask again if anyone has an experience with a 2-step root touch-up? Do you get an even color?

Thanks for any help in advance!

p.s.  Ravinder, you are very lucky that this 80/20 one-step worked for you! How did you do it? ;-) You said you tried many mixes before - did you get such poor results sometimes like me now, or is your hair working better with henna and indigo (easier to dye your grays)?

Carrie

spring water, how long did you leave the paste on your strand test? I wonder if it was not on long enough. Also, did you keep it warm? Your body heat plays a role in the dye uptake so if your test did not supply about 100'F warmth, you need to do it again :)

Another thought: have you tested hendigo with less indigo, like a 50/50 mix? You would probably get better uptake that way since there is more henna in the mix.

You may end up needing a 2-step process but it's worth making sure.

spring water

Thank you, Carrie, for helping me this much - again and again!

I left the paste on for 3 and a half hours. I put the strand tests into my pockets - but the airconditioner was on and I felt that my trousers outside the pockets got a little cold from that. So I blow some hot air into my pockets with the hair dryer about 3 times...

When I did the 2-step test, beside following Megumi's techniqe, I made a test with a 50-50 base as a first step as well (I thought that when the indigo starts to fade, the base under that won't be that reddish as with the 100% henna, and also I can get less problem with the root touch ups later, as this 50-50 mix doesn't color my very dark brown a little reddish as the 100% henna did, and so I don't have to worry about getting reddish blotches in my hair if I don't put the 1. and the 2. step to the exact same length). After the 50-50 mix (leaving the paste on for 3 hours), my grays became light coppery red - as in Catherine's free book in figure 66, strand #5. (she calls the grays medium brown, but for me, mine looked light coppery red - but together with my dark brown hair I got the same "picture" as she shows there). After the second step (90indigo/10henna) - which I left on for two hours and twenty minutes - I got a nice dark brown with a little red in it. But it's still not my natural very dark brown. That one I got by using Megumi's technique.

Doing the 2-step tests, I left the henna sit for 3 hours and it was 30C in the window. With the 80indigo/20henna 1-step I let the henna sit for 5 hours, also in 30C. Was it too long? I checked the dye release after 4 hours and it was good, but I used it only an hour later and didn't check again.

Carrie

I think the point of doing henna alone in the first step is so you get a good base of henna in your hair so the indigo will attach better. Doing hendigo instead might defeat the purpose?

At 30C your henna should be okay for 1 day but it will be ready to use after just 4 hours (assming you're using an acidic mix like lemon juice, otherwise it's ready much faster and demising much faster).

spring water

"I think the point of doing henna alone in the first step is so you get a good base of henna in your hair so the indigo will attach better." I read it here - I just wanted to try it to get a less reddish base so when the indigo starts to fade, the color under it won't be so different :-) And it worked, just not gave a very dark brown, "only" a nice warm dark brown - which can be really good for someone who wants that color. Or do you mean that the indigo can fade quicker by using a 50-50 mix as a 1. step? Hmm..., I just started to think about doing a test for a 2-step like: a 50-50 for the 1. step (for 3-4 hours) and a 100% indigo for the 2. step for a short time (30 minutes maybe). It would be a darker brown from the 100% indigo as from the 90% I used as a 2. step over the 50-50 in my previous test. But I'm not sure how long I should leave on the 100% indigo for not turning into black. But if it would fade quickly, then it wouldn't be good... But this way my hair wouldn't be blotchy after the root touch-ups, as the 50-50 doesn't make my dark brown hair reddish, and leaving the indigo for a short time cannot color my hair black either. I'm just guessing.

I think I will make a facebook account and ask Megumi about the root touch-ups... I don't want to bother you with it more, Carrie :-) Maybe I'm too anxious about it, and Megumi's technique cannot cause blothy hair after the root touch-ups either...

Thank you for the info about the henna in 30C :-) (I used lemon, yes, real lemon ;-))

spring water

Hi Carrie, one more question...

I just wonder that whether in ravinder's technique the camomile tea and the freezing played any important role to get her these great results? (I used lemon and didn't freeze the paste.) I'm not good at chemistry, but many interesting things happen...

Did anyone else could dye her/his gray hair dark brown with a 1-step? Do you remember anyone posting about it in the forum? Or have you ever heard about it anywhere else?

Thanks!

Carrie

Freezing your paste once dye release has started (but not too far along toward demise) will increase the available dye. You can get just as good results by freezing a lemon juice paste once it has started to release dye. Freezing it before dye release has started or once it has started to weaken will not do any good, though.

spring water

So freezing the henna paste (soon after the dye release started) colors hair better than using a henna paste which was not frozen? Is it recommended to freeze it? Maybe it's better for gray hair? :-)

Thank you, Carrie, for your help again!

Carrie

It would be recommended if you want the most intense dye from your henna (from what you say, I'm not sure you do?). Here is more about freezing henna paste:

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/26

spring water

"It would be recommended if you want the most intense dye from your henna (from what you say, I'm not sure you do?)."

I'm not sure either :-) but it's good to know. Maybe this is what helped ravinder to get a dark brown using the one-step 80indigo/20henna mix on her grays... She did freeze the henna paste and I didn't... Maybe using a more intense henna dye can help to achieve even a dark brown color - I mean the indigo can attach better too... Or not?

I guess I will do a test for this tomorrow.

Thank you very much Carrie for your help!!! :-)

Oh, I just reread ravinder's technique, and she freezes henna paste before dye release.... so this way she didn't get the extra dye from the henna...

Then I guess it's not the "secret" which helped her to reach the dark brown... But then what is it? I wish I could reach what she could...

ravinder

Hi all

Sorry about not being clear.  I do not mix  henna in boiling hot water. After brewing camomile tea on low heat making sure there is enough liquid to soak henna. I let it cool to room temperature and then mix henna. I then put it in zip lock bag and freeze it straightaway and then use it the day after.

I use the hot tap water to thaw it and leave it for couple of hours or when the dye release happens.

I always play with the tips I get from this wonderful website. I do not stick to one particular mix I try different techniques.  I have however found out that if the henna and indigo is of good quality there should be no issue with dye relaeas. I have used yemen henna from christine it just spreads so well and gives me good results.

Cheers

ravi