best method to achieve strawberry blonde

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
mscatamaran
best method to achieve strawberry blonde

I've been henna-ing my hair for quite a while. I started in order to get a coppery orange but then I changed some things and now its more like a starwberry blonde. However, how I roginally got that was a toal accident. So what I want is a method to get strawberry blonde and have it be a similar shade each time. I was doing everything I could to keep it light. Yogurt release. Reduced time on head. Using henna with lower lawsome content.

I had been using yogurt to get dye release from Jamila or punjabi henna. Then I'd leave it on for about 1 hour. I'm using lemon juice this time because after henna-ing with yogurt, I taste/smell yogurt for a fe daysaftrwards. Hopefully it won't turn to dark using the lemon.

The Questions:

Would it be better to use one of the ancient sunrise kits (such as sunshine) or would it be better to do what I have been doing?  I would like to try the kit but I am afraid the cassia will fade too fast and then I'll have to re-do my hair more often than I'd like to. Right now I only re-do when I do my roots.

Since I'm using lemon rather than my usual yogurt for dye release, should I only leave it on my head for 30 min rather than a full hour? I don't want it to be too dark. I usually buy Jamila or Punjabi, but as a rule what range for dye content should I purchase in the future?

My hair is less than an inch so test strands are not an option.

Carrie
Re: best method to achieve strawberry blonde

If you like what you're doing currently, why would you want to change?

If something happens that you don't like, then you can adjust your method based on whatever it is you want to be different.

A lower dye content henna would be good for what you want. You can also dilute your prepared henna paste with conditioner so you'll have less dye uptake in your hair.

I don't know that lemon juice vs. yogurt will make a difference in your color. It will make a difference in how long it takes for dye to start releasing (longer with lemon juice because it is more acidic) so be sure to test a blob on your palm before you apply.

If you use a cassia-based mix like Sunshine kit and the cassia fades, the henna will still remain so you probably will not notice a change. Cassia's dye is extremely weak so when it fades you'll not notice it in a cassia/henna mix.

mscatamaran

"If you like what you're doing currently, why would you want to change?"

--Because I still get there but I haven't figured out a consisitant method to get there because I started out henna-ing my hair with so many different variables (what I used for dye release, how long I leave it on, dye content in henna, etc)... 

I'm trying to figure out what is it that I do that gets me to a strawberry blonde instead of a light red or a soft irish red.

Jen

The biggest difference between what you're doing now and the lighter colored kits is that the kits are diluting the dye with cassia and you're going it as a gloss. 

The difference between Irish red and strawberry blond is just how much henna is getting into your hair. Use less henna in your gloss mix or rinse sooner and that should keep you on the strawberry blond side. Keep in mind that putting more henna over a color that's darker than you want doesn't work! More applications of more color only can make it darker or deeper red!

mscatamaran

oh okay. good to know. I keep my hair pretty short so when I bleach my roots prior to re-doing my henna, my hair is pretty much all new growth (hence the big need for bleach). My hair naturally is pretty dark so I bleach it in order to get lighter colors rather than a deep red I'd get without.

desertholly

If you still want to use yoghurt but don't like the after smell/taste, why not add some fragrant spices to your mix to change that?  I've used cardamom with cinnamon and just a pinch of ginger(would probably leave out the ginger next time, as it was a bit hot) and it really left a gentle spicy fragrance.