Need Help for African American hair type 4a

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
justme
Need Help for African American hair type 4a

I hope that someone can help me with my dilemma.  I am currently wearing my hair in an afro.  I have been coloring my hair for years and no longer wish to do use these dyes anymore.  I have dark brown hair with gray growth at the roots and edges around my head.  I want to do the  henna process on my hair but am a little concerned about the outcome.  I would not mind using straight henna to acheive the dark auburn color, however I am concerned that the results would be a "carrot top red" band around the head and roots.  This concerns me greatly.  Can I mix indigo with the henna to tone down the "too much" red factor?  If so, how much would you suggest?  What would be a good combination mix of henna and indigo?   Thanks.

Justme

Carrie
Re: Need Help for African American hair type 4a

Using Celebration henna you should be able to get a deep auburn with one good application.

If you want to combine indigo and henna for brown, a 50/50 mix gives a medium warm brown for most people. By warm I mean reddish, not golden. If that is too red, you could use 2/3 indigo, 1/3 henna.

justme

I ordered and received the Henna for African Hair Medium Brunette.  Do you think that this will do it? 

Carrie

Yes, that's the stuff :)

This would be good to read before you start, just to cover all your bases and make sure you get good effect from your indigo:

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/22

justme

Thanks for your reply and information.  I am going to take the plunge tomorrow.  Wish me luck : ).

chuckles

So justme, if you wouldn't mind, please share your results!