Environmentally friendly cones?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nicole
Environmentally friendly cones?

Hi there, I have been dabbling in henna on and off for a couple of years now.  Now being a stay at home mom, was thinking of making some money at it.  I only really do it on myself, but I always get compliments.

So my only dilemma is that using plastic mylar cones is not very environmentally friendly.  You can only use them once, and they are not very biodegradable.  If anyone could give me ideas of  a cone that is better for the earth, that would be great!  I know there are those little bottles, but I was thinking maybe there's a brand of bio-degradable mylar or something out there.

Thanks in advance!

Nicole

Jen
Re: Environmentally friendly cones?

Anything that's bio degradable, is going to be broken down by the paste. There's no winning there.

You could try making your cones out of something heavier, like acetate sheeting. You can usually find it where framing is done, or at hobby shops. This way you can refill them a few times. Warning: its messy.

You could make your cones from recycled material like potato chip bags or other packaging.

Nicole
Re: Environmentally friendly cones?

Thanks so much!  I was actually considering sewing something out of a PUL or waterproof vinyl so you could wash it out, but then I was imagining all of my clothes coming out with henna stains!

I had completely forgotten about using packaging!  What a perfect idea, actually, a lot of the African ladies who do henna here use old packages all the time.  What a great excuse to eat chips too :P