can't see red

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
sassycheesy
can't see red

I have medium brown hair with lots of red undertones naturally... I wanted to use henna to make my hair more red than brown. I did a strand test with the purity and from what I can tell my strand test looks the same as my natural hair ( I waited 48 hours) even in the sun. My hair naturally reflects lots of red highlights in the sun even though it is more brown. What is the best choice of henna for me to use if I am wanting my hair to "show" more red than brown? Thanks =)

ACWN
Re: can't see red

There could be some things you mightve done wrong with your strand test.

• What liquid did you use?
  • Did you wait for dye release? Very acidic liquids like lemon juice can sometimes take up to 24 hours to get full dye release.
  • Did you test for it or just assume it was ready?
  • And most important of all, did you cover your strand test?
sassycheesy

I used lemon juice and then let it rest on white paper through the day and over night. I know the dye released becuase the paper turned orange and I used the left over to tatoo my daughters hands and they turned out beautifully. I left the henna on for approx. 4 hours but it was only loosely coovered with plastic. Any other suggestions? I really was looking forward to coloring my hair :(

ACWN

The problem was you only loosely covered it, I bet. You have to either put the hair in a ziplock if its harvested from your hair brush - sealed, with no air. Or firmly covered with plastic wrap if its on your head - press the plastic to the henna.

If it dries out, it will not dye at all.

You also need to keep the sample kinda warm, such as in your pocket or somewhere on your body to mimic the heat from your scalp. And you need to make sure the sample was totally and heavily covered in paste.

sassycheesy

Thanks I think that is the answer =)

I am going to try again... appreciate all the help!!!