your darkest henna wanting red on whites

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
mamaherrera
your darkest henna wanting red on whites

OK I'm going to stop hendigos and try just to get a nice deep red on my white hairs.  Can anyone let me know how long I will need, between * and * hours, for your darkest henna to give me a deep red?  I see lots of people leave their recipes and get a deep red on white hairs.  Just want a time estimate please.  Thanks, oh and i'm doing dye release with room temp apple juice.

ACWN
Re: your darkest henna wanting red on whites

Probably between 4 - 6 hours, but you're also more likely to get a much darker color if you were to do two back to back applications for a shorter time (like two 3 hour applications would give you more color than a 6 hour application).

And definitely use Twilight.

mamaherrera
update on my twilight experience

Ok I did my twilight, not hendigo because I was only getting blonde with hendigo on white hairs.  'so I did just straight henna and slept with it, about 8 hours.  Man, beautiful red and boy did it work, even stained my scalp, which is great in comparison to putting hendigo on (with same twilight henna) and getting just barely blonde!! So I"m happy with this, red is good.  BUT./ . . . to do my roots twice a week and have to sleep with it all night, that's kind of a hassle.  I would love to do a henna gloss in between so it's not an all-nighter, but still get some coverage on those roots.  I just would love to know what kind of henna gloss is better, a powder mix staight into conditioner, or henna (dye-released) into conditioner.  I want the one that's going to give me a two -week coverage and not fade and the one that's more reliable to work. Also, how do you all apply a henna gloss, just with hands (gloves) and put it in however, or methodically with a root bruhs, or how do you get this in?? And how long should i Leave it on whites to get some kind of a red covereage??  Does it need heat and plastic covering and all that, just like a regular henna??? 

Carrie
Re: update on my twilight experience

I would use frozen, high dye content paste, thawed quickly in warm (not hot) water, mixed into conditioner. How strong you need to make it depends on how easily your hair takes up the dye. Since you have had some dye resistance, I would suggest half paste, half conditioner- no weaker than that.   I cover it in plastic and a warm hat but do not apply heat. Glosses are drippy anyway and heat would make that worse. I usually can't stand to leave a gloss on for more than 2 hours because of that.

Why do you say you want "two week coverage" ? Is henna fading in 2 weeks for you? That would be really unusual.

Full strength paste left on longer than 2 hours (3-4 hours for deeper color) will give better coverage than a gloss, but you will just have to try it, experiment with timing, and see if you are satisfied with the color from a gloss. It depends on how dye resistant your gray is to henna.

You can apply with a brush, or gloved hands. I have done both. If I am just doing roots, I will use a brush for sure and after a bit of practice, it would only take 10-15 minutes to do my whole head of roots. Some people prefer a squirt bottle, like a hair dye bottle or a catsup bottle.

mamaherrera

Thanks, i will try.  About fading, I just asked because I saw a link about putting powder into conditioner and applying, but because it was a quick dye release, it could fade (something like that) which is why I was asking.  I never have had henna fade, but again something about the quick dye release.  Thanks, and any good/somewhat natural cheap conditioners that work well for this?? I Don't want to put some chemical-loaded conditioner on my scalp for two hours if I can avoid it.  Thanks!

Carrie

I don't know one that is natural and cheap. Natural tends to be pricey. I just use Suave.

Carrie

However, you can make a natural base for a gloss with xanthan gum or flaxseeds or pectin. I would just google any one of those words plus the word "gel" for a recipe.

mamaherrera

One more question and thanks by the way.  Here is my goal for roots.  I have no problem with doing regular henna.  What I want is a "QUICKER" way to do the roots in between those 6-8 hour henna.  Now am I correct in thinking htat a 2 hour henna gloss will give more color than a 2 hour henna regular??? Cuz if not, I'll stick with henna.  I just want a quick color, some color, wondering what is going to give me more color in two hours.  Thanks, and yes I will either try like suave or pectin.  I know it's just got to be a conditioner that is light, right, not laden down with oils.  There is Trader Joe's citrus conditioner, that's pretty light, we'll see. thanks and please jsut let me know what will give me the most color for a two hour treatment.  

xyz

A henna gloss is diluted, so...no, a henna gloss done for 2 hours will NOT give you more color than a straight-henna paste applied for 2 hours.  Absolutely not.  Glosses are done to add minimal color, to add color progressively, and to refresh a color that has lost its sparkle.  You want deep "saturated" color, you do a full-strength henna--especially on grays!

Carrie

Right, glosses are WEAKER than paste.

For the most color from henna in the shortest time, use high dye content paste, previously frozen as above so it releases extra dye. Use it full strength for 90 minutes under a hairdryer (the whole time under the hairdryer) or wear a heat cap (they cost about $25 on Amazon.com) for the whole 90 minute application time. This amount of heat is cutting your application time in half because it speeds up the dye uptake into your hair.

mamaherrera

gotcha thanks, I"ll take this all in.  I"m glad twilight works so well at least!