Can I color again before the green disappeares?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
spring water
Can I color again before the green disappeares?

Hi all,

I dyed my strand test with a one-step 80indigo/20henna mix the day before yesterday to get dark brown color on my greys. I got very dissapointed after seeing that the grays became light blonde with a little green in them. But for today they turned a little darker and less green. So I decided to repeat the same 80/20 process, and I got a nice dark brown on my grays :-D (I saw the color only at lamplight as it's dark outside by now, and I hope it will look also this nice tomorrow in the sunshine).

I would like to ask whether I always have to wait at least 2 days before repeating the coloring (as I did now) or can I dye it again the next day? In other words, do I have to wait until the green dissapeares from my hair (during the oxidation) or can I dye it over when it's still greenish?

Thanks in advance :-)

p.s. I'm so happy for this result :-))

ACWN
Re: Can I color again before the green dissapeares?

Its best to wait several days (sometimes up to a week) because otherwise your color will darken beyond what you wanted, epsecially when indigo is involved. You will probably see in a week that your test has gotten very dark.

This is why we always say "DONT panic".

spring water

Thank you for the quick answer :-)

I just hoped that I can get the desired color more quickly :-)

To wait even one week...? Huh...

I mean if the color ends up in a very dark brown after one week, that's okay - a little long but still makes me happy. But if it doesn't, and I have to repeat the process (I read that grays generally need more colorings to get the desired color - that's why I repeated it now, and because it was very light...), do I have to wait several days between colorings even then?

Can a 80indigo/20henna mix ever color any hair black - I mean by repeated colorings? I would like to get a very dark brown color, but not black. My original color is this very dark brown and I want to cover the grays to the same shade. Can this mix darken my original hair color into black if I repeat it too often? I'm just guessing (and hoping) that it can never turn it into black, and therefore maybe I can use this mix the following way: Dye my hair twice within two days to get the dark brown quickly, then repeat this "twice in two days" process when I have to dye my roots weeks later.

Am I wrong if I hope I can do it this way? Should I wait several days always after the first coloring if it turns out that I need a second one? I mean that would be a little inconvenient to dye my hair, and then wait for several days and repeat it then - and do this "dye-wait-dye" process every time I do my roots...

I'm not as dissatisfied as I may seem, I just would like to learn to use henna and indigo in a way which is the easiest but still gives the best results :-) I'm very happy that these plants give us such beautiful colors :-)

Sorry for this long post and many questions.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

ACWN

Yes, repeated applications with ANY ratio of indigo will eventually go black. When the indigo is the higher ratio it will go black very quickly and very easily. You might actually find that come the end of the week your sample is black. This is why you need to wait and why you need to strand test. Once you have indigo in your hair you cannot lighten it.

How long did you leave the mix on your strand test and did you cover the test? These are major factors. If you didnt cover it at all or well enough, you could end up with no color to very little color. Remember that every one's hair is different and the time a mix was left on that worked for someone may not work for you. The ratio may not work very well either and you may have to try another one.

Once you get all the kinks smoothed out, you shouldnt have to do repeat applications to get the color you want, but its best to do trial and error on strand tests rather than your head. Just try to be patient. :)

Carrie

I agree with ACWN, waiting a couple days will tell you a lot and is often the best course of action. If you do your homework (strand testing) you can figure out the best mix and method for your desired color so you don't have to fiddle with color correction a day or two later.

If you are wanting to know if it is okay/safe to re-dye right away, the answer is yes. The only problem with that is, as ACWN says, you might end up with a color darker than you wanted. In the case of indigo-heavy mixes, that could mean black.

So for example, if I did an 80/20 mix like you did because I want dark brown, and my gray hair came out light orange or golden blonde, I would do it again right away, no problem, because I know that not much indigo uptake happened. But if my hair came out murky medium gray/green,  I would NOT do it again right away because I know I DID get indigo uptake (that's why it's green) and it will oxidize to to ash brown in 2 days. 

spring water

Thank you both for the long and thorough answers! I will be careful with indigo-heavy mixes then :-)

"If you are wanting to know if it is okay/safe to re-dye right away, the answer is yes." I was actually curious whether the color result can go wrong or the dye will fade more quickly if we don't wait with the next coloring until the green goes away and the indigo oxidizes properly. If I cover the greenish hair with a new dye can the green go away just as if I haven't put the second layer of dye onto the top of it? I was just wondering... Now, as you both suggested to wait until the oxidation takes place, I will wait. Although my strand tests which I made 4 days ago still haven't oxidized fully yet. (But I'll be patient :-)) The gray dyed with the 80indigo/20henna mix still looks light greenish blonde, and the one dyed with the 70indigo/30henna mix looks medium reddish brown with a little bit of green. I made another 80/20 mix test the day before yesterday, and the gray from that test looks much more dark gray/green (I don't see brown or red in it yet) by now. I let the henna sit for 5 hours in 30C, and kept the pastes on the strands for 3 and a half hours long each time - the only differences were that I used room tempeature (28C) mineral water for the indigo when I made the first tests 4 days ago, and I used a little warmer for the next test; and I put lavender oil into the mixes four days ago, but next time I left it out. So I'm waiting for the real results...

Sorry for being this talkative, it's just a little hard to be patient :-)

Thanks again!!!

ACWN

Oh!! Dont use oil! I know henna smells odd and indigo stinks, but you shouldnt use oil with indigo! Indigo hates fats or oils and it can mess with the dye uptake. If too much is used, it can block it entirely. Try a test with out it.

If your results are still green after 4 days, then it sounds like the henna didnt take too well. You might want to strand test a two step as well. Apply the henna for several hours (or overnight - reduces the time you have to deal with it cause you can sleep on it), then the indigo for 15 - 30 minutes.

Carrie

Usually when people refer to "lavender oil" they mean lavender essential oil ... which isn't fatty/oily in the sense that it's bad for indigo, it's a volatile oil. I don't know what it would do in indigo paste but it won't block uptake because of being "oily."

Is this virgin hair you're strand testing on, or previously chemically dyed hair? Previously chemically dyed hair will soak up more indigo than virgin hair, typically.

spring water

I meant essential oil - just one drop into that small amount of paste for the test. I read it may help the dye to attach.

I used a natural dye which contains many plants and colors hair dark brown - except grays which became only blondish. (Mixed with a little indigo it became a little darker but still not dark brown.) So I stopped using it, as it doesn't work for me (they said it would be only blondish brown on grays but I still tried it as I didn't know what else could I use, until I found your brilliant website recently). I never used chemical dyes. But when I wrote about the results of my tests I only referred to the colors of the white roots (about 1,5cm) I had by the time I made the tests.

Yesterday I dyed my hair with a 70indigo/30henna mix. The roots are still quite light, but I hope they will turn into dark brown in a few days. The grays which were previously colored with that natural dye became dark reddish brown - so now they are much less visible.

I used this 70/30 mix instead of the 80/20 because you both said that indigo can easily turn into black if used too often, and I thought if I may have to repeat the coloring, with this 70/30 mix it will still be only dark brown. Of course I will wait many days before re-dying :-) And: my hair became very soft and shiny :-)

I cannot thank you enough for these many advice!

Carrie

Have you tried a 50/50 mix yet?  With more henna in your mix, you might find you get a darker shade on those gray roots.

spring water

I tried the 50/50 on a strand test...but as a base for a 2-step (I mentioned it before), so I didn't wait for the oxidation. After the 50-50 mix (leaving the paste on for 3 hours), my grays became light coppery red - as in Catherine's free book in figure 66, strand #5. (she calls the grays medium brown, but for me, mine looked light coppery red - but together with my dark brown hair I got the same "picture" as she shows there). Do you think that it can oxidize into a dark brown?

Lavendark

Did you say you used mineral water in your mix?? Carrie, could this be part of the problem? Wouldn't that effect the henna or indigo in a sinilar manner as hard water?

Jen

I don't really know how minerals in water effects indigo. I know that with henna and cassia it can make the color too brown, so it doesn't sound like what's happening here, but again, not so sure about the indigo.

I have some mineral rich well water on hand. I'll try some tests if I ever get the chance. 

spring water

Yes, I used mineral water... I thought it might be better than tap water (which has chlorine in it). The total amount of mineral content in the mineral water I used is: 627mg/liter. Calcium: 82mg/liter. Magnesium: 41mg/liter.