wet or dry hair?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
janmarbol
wet or dry hair?

1. Can someone tell me if you should have clean WET hair or clean DRY hair when applying cassia (and/or henna, buxus, etc) ?

and

2. When you do a "two-step", say cassia/henna and then buxus or indigo or amla or a combination, do you dry your hair in between or apply immediately on wet hair after the henna/cassia?

and

3. If I recently did a cassia conditioning (mixed w/water, applied immediately so no dye release) can I now apply DR Cassia to dye a streak of platinum/gray that I have? Would it not take given that I did the conditioning a few days ago? Should I strip my hair again or can I apply the dye released cassia and expect a good uptake? 

and

4. I'm also going to do a light brown on the rest of my hair with a mix of cassia, henna, buxus (and possibly a tad of amla) so will these take well on my recently conditioned head? 

5. I read somewhere that amla does NOT contain any dye, is this true? And if so, why then do you apply amla to mixes? And what color does it produce if any?

thanks! sorry for all the questions. I numbered them so it'd be easier to respond.

Thanks again

Janet

Jen
Re: wet or dry hair?

1. Either way. I'd suggest at least towel dry though. If you're hair is dripping wet, the paste is going to drip all over you after you apply it! Other than that, its a matter of personal preference.

2. Again, same as above. At least towel dry, but beyond that its up to you.

3. It will work just fine. Shampoo first to get any natural oils out of your way, but no, having done a cassia conditioning treatment won't get in your way of dye uptake.

4. Yep, that will work too. I'm not sure you'll want amla in that mix though. It doesn't seem to help cool the color in a buxus mix like in a mix with indigo. Of course if the amla is there for the shine, go for it, but don't expect it to affect the color.

5. Amla does not have any dye to it but it does shift a henna/indigo mix to a cooler tone. Some people report a slightly darker, less red result when used with just henna (myself included) but many people see no such difference. I've heard all over than amla used alone will make hair a bit darker but I've seen no evidence and because it contains no dye... ya, I just don't think that it does. Besides cooling a henna indigo mix, amla can stop curl loss due to a build up of many applications of henna in hair, and can provide extra shine. Personally I like to use amla as a facial mask! 

janmarbol

AWESOME! thanks Jen...

odd that amla won't affect buxus given that what it does in theory is tone down the henna by means of its acidity (and prior to mixing the buxus in) 

I thought I saw some strips of test hair where amla gave buxus a cooler lighter tone (more blond than brown) but I could be wrong, will have to look at that.

thanks again! The cassia tips and wet hair were digging at me lol

janmarbol

www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/3615354278/in/set-72157619485710101/

also wondering if frozen buxus with lemon like in 3a will give white hair (or gray) a wheat blond as opposed to the more orangy one cassia alone gives... wondering if cassia and buxus alone (w/o any henna) will give out a nice color too. It seems that normally it gives out a blue color but frozen it turns like a wheat color

Carrie

hmmm - that strand didn't really have a pleasant color, it didn't strike me as any sort of blonde in real life. There are some strange greenish glints to it. But by all means experiment, just not on your head!  ;)

janmarbol

lol, thanks Carrie... I see blond but you're not the first to say it's green (something must be wrong w/my eyes) 

Carrie

No, it's just the way it photographs.