Blonde Dye Over Henna

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lavinniya
Blonde Dye Over Henna

Okay,

So I've reviewed a lot of discussion on chemical dye over henna and the majority seems to be about reaching natural color and/or removing henna.  

I don't want to remove the henna (one BAQ application) I just want to lighten my hair underneath the henna to get it to a nice light coppery blonde.  My natural color is a dark blonde and after the henna oxidized it looks sort of muddy and dark indoors.  I really liked the bright orange/copper color the first few days after application, but 5 months since it is darkening to a color I don't much care for.  

So, my question is, will a light golden blonde hair dye lighten my hair underneath the henna? or will I have to bleach? keeping in mind I don't want to remove the henna. 

Thanks

ACWN
Re: Blonde Dye Over Henna

If your color came out muddy, you may have issues with hard water. Before you do anything else, try a mineral build up remover like Rainwash or Crystal Ion from Sally's and see if that doesnt do something for your color.

hennakatrin
admin

My hair have been hennaed for 6 years before that I think, I do full application once a month and hold about 2-3 hours.
We hold it on for max 30 minutes. Here you can see a result of highlighting henna with 6% peroxide. And it was bleaching. And here is the result: http://static2.nagi.ee/i/p/343/54/0858859148c045_m.jpg/1

I have very stron hair however - I combed tiny pieces of mu hair off a lot. Bleaching ain't good but it gives result. We have experimented wirh 3% peroxide, too. Destroys less but also does not give such a henna-removal with same time. Damage will come later, hair ends will be rather sensitive for physical treatment (combing, bags, charibacks etc) and split more easily.

Bleached stripes get henna a bit worse than normal hair and it takes awhile before it starts to build-up. Stripes are visible for a year or so. And if you do amla-yoghurt mask it takes henna off from bleached hair, noticeably.

This is my personal experience.

Lavinniya

Thanks so much!

So then a careful bleaching is in order.  Your hair color is similar to my own and I am looking for the bright orange color all over.  Thank you for your input, it helps alot! :D

Lavinniya

I just wanted to update.

I did bleach my hair, the henna really protected it.  Really, really.  It has lightened to a nice bright shade, but not much lightening.  The henna really doesn't budge huh? Lol!  It is still really healthy, not dry.  Just the ends where I had really old Indigo remnants are a nice swamp-moss green. :D 

Rosetta

Yeah, I have plenty of experience of henna not budging ;) During this winter I did two full bleach treatments, as I wanted to remove my henna and get back to my natural colour, and even after these two heavy bleach treatments it was still very orange... I managed to get rid of most of the orange afterwards by dyeing on top and honey lightening, but the things is, henna can never be completely removed (at least not in my experience). And after all this, now I think I'm giving up and going back to being a redhead, at least for now ;) (with demi/semipermanent dyes, that is, having learned my lesson :)) 

Lavinniya

Amen! I am parking the henna train too.  I am going to pick up Un-Red tomorrow and try that in a conditioning treatment to see if the orange can be toned down a bit.  Whatever, it's been a journey but I think my natural color is simplest for now :D

***UPDATE*** FYI I just bleached a chunk of hair (40vol developer + bleach powder) and mixed in a package of Ardell UnRed.  I saturated the chunk to be bleached with the black bleach mixture and let it sit for 40 mins.   Not even a hint of a change on wash-out.  :P

Lavinniya

A question for the henna/indigo experts:

So, after a few washes with a toning (dark purple) conditioner, I've noticed that (post bleach) green ends are now a beautiful cool/ash blonde. O.O !!! Amazing!

Should I try some kind of dilute indigo rinse (??) or something to see if the red/orange/pink can be covered?

**Another Update** So, I dont know if anyone is reading this or not, but WOW!  ok! 

Mixed 15 minute developed indigo with some conditioner, spread it over the light-bright orange bleached chunk.  Let it sit for about 5 or 7 minutes and rinsed.  BAM! A resulting very cool/ash blonde.  Closest is Wella's Nordic blonde.    I think I will try this again on another section but use a run of the mill Blue Toner instead of indigo.   :D Neat!

Carrie

Good luck! I'm glad to hear you're having some success. Proceed carefully and I hope it works out for you :)

Rosetta

Very interesting, Lavinniya, that you've actually achieved ash/cool blonde with indigo gloss over henna..! Have to keep that in mind, might come handy one day :) 

As for myself I was speaking too soon, about giving up henna ;) It's like an incurable addiction! Again I have this huge itch to henna as I did before, but I'm doing my best fighting it & holding on until I decide I really do want to be a redhead for long haul :)

Elphina

I have been desperately reading and googling to see what my options are for this exact same thing, so I am very curious to hear about your experience.

I recently hennaed for the first time over hair that had been (for 20 years) dyed a dark mahogany color.  My roots have a good deal of grey creeping in and I probably should have tried to lighten my hair from the chemical dyes BEFORE henna and did not.  Hindsight is 20/20, right?

I am happy with my hair color now, which ended up a beautiful, but very dark auburn color... although my roots are also a gorgeous fiery irish red due to greys.   My goal now is to get the rest of my hair to that same fiery bright red.   I could do it the super slow way and just henna my roots only until all of the chemically died hair grows out.   BUT, since my hair is nearly waist length, this could take years and I don't want to wait that long!

I'm seriously considering (with strand tests first, of course!) trying to bleach lighten my hair *beneath* the henna and I'm nervous whether it will even work.   I have a lot of hair to lose if I screw it up and have to cut it off :(

I was looking at THIS product called Super Blonde and wondering if anyone has any experience with it. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/l%27oreal-super-blonde-creme-hair-light... Or should I just try a 30 developer creme with/without bleach powder?

Carrie

You can lighten/bleach hair under the henna, assuming it's pure henna (don't try it if you have any indigo in your hair). Not familiar with that product - it's probably fine, but you can use regular hair bleach from the beauty supply store. 30 vol developer alone may not make much of a dent in hennaed hair. Even with bleach powder you'll find it takes more time to budge the color on hennaed hair.

Rosetta

Elphina, that product, L'Oreal Super Blonde, is fine for bleaching; that's what I'd call 'regular bleach', actually (I'm not sure what other kind of bleach Carrie was referring to!). And definitely use the bleach too, not just developer.

Carrie

Rosetta, is this what you mean?  http://www.sallybeauty.com/Professional-Powder-Bleach/SBS-500514,default...

That is what I'm talking about, too. The brand doesn't matter. What I'm talking about is any brand of cream developer plus any brand of bleach powder. You buy them separately at a beauty supply store and mix equal amounts together right before you apply it.

If you are applying to hennaed hair, you will want 30 vol if it's going on your scalp, or 40 vol if you will use foils or a highlighting cap to keep it off your scalp.

ETA: Okay, now I see the link to the product - didn't see it before. It looks like a high-lift highlighting kit so it should be fine to use.

Rosetta

Carrie, for some reason I can't see any product in the link in Elphina's post, but I meant this: 

http://www.echemist.co.uk/p-loreal-perfect-super-blonde-prelightening-creme

It's actually not the highlighting kit, that's a different one, but the bleach/pre-lightener kit.

This kind of boxed products are actually what most people here would mean with regular bleach, as we don't have that kind of beauty supply stores available to the public (I think that applies to most of Europe) ;) So the boxed bleach /pre-lighteners are the only available ones, unless one wants to buy online. Of course, I don't know where Ephina is, but many here are from Europe, or elsewhere outside US, so we may not always have the same kind of products available :)