Henna just with hot water ?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
ximebasa
Henna just with hot water ?

Hello, i am new to the site and the forum, i have noticed that everybody adds lemon juice to the henna and lets it sit overnight or longer, however i use Henna, just with hot water and i get excellent results !

My mother does the same , i learned from her. 

i used to dye my hair blond, chemically ! and my hair was in very bad shape, then i decided to go red, and first i started with  chemical dyes, but the color would fade and i had to color my hair  more often than when i was blond , untill i tried henna, its been almost a year and you can tell that the ends are not in a great shape as the rest of the hair. Also the color , where it still was chemically dyed is tooo red, 

i cant find the hena i used to use in Argentina, so i was checking the website ,and ordered some samples .

i was looking to buy the auburn henna, because the hair tends to be too reddish , and i would like it more brownish ( auburn like) 

Any suggestions as to which one i should buy , the twilight, the raj etc ) and should i mix it with anything else ?

Thanks for your help and for the forum i got a lot of answers ,

Thanks

XImena  

ACWN
Re: Henna just with hot water ?

Hot water is a traditional method, but Lady C (the owner of this site) and others have discovered that traditional methods do not always mean optimal results, especially when stubborn gray is involved - no offense intended! But, hot water can and often results in weak color that is often prone to fading.

Acid and time give strong, extremely permanent results. This also results in colors that are more true. For a good example of what I mean, click this: [link] and go to page 26, this will show you a side by side example of boiling water next to lemon juice. Also, I recommend reading the whole e-book. Lots of good info.

What is your starting color? You said you used to chemically lighten it, but what color is it naturally? We need to know that to be able to help you. The color your start with has a direct link to the color you get.

ximebasa

Thanks for your quick response, yes i noticed that the results with lemon juice look stronger, i just did my henna yesterday, but i will do it with lemon juice next time

my natural color is light to medium brown, i have some stubborn grey i would say 40 to 50 % .Now i am thinking that with lemon mixture, maybe they are not that stubborn. !

Thank you !

ACWN

If you can link a pic, that would help greatly. Doesnt have to be of you, but just a pic that closely matches your color. We can give you an even better guess at what the results will be.

Generally speaking, a middle ground henna like Henna for African Hair with a lemon juice mix on light to medium brown will result in a medium to dark auburn, depending on how long you leave it on. On your gray it would result in a dark copper to light auburn color.

Something light Twilight will result in a very dark auburn to cherry cola color on your brown and an auburn shade on your gray.

If you hair is still chemically dyed different colors, I would very much recommend dyeing it one last time to match your natural color. This will drastically reduce any color differences from your roots to your length as your hair grows. Henna over chemically lightened hair tends to come out very OMG! orange and tends to keep an orange hue even with repeated applications.

Tips for stubborn gray:

Wash your hair 5 minutes before you apply the henna and be sure to wash with something strong like dish soap or a clarifying shampoo with a bit of baking soda thrown in. This will remove any oil and product build up from your hair and open the shaft of the gray.

Remember to wrap your hair snug with plastic and put something over that to keep it warm - a wool beanie/ski cap works well and I've had great success with those Turbie Twist things. Light, but keeps your head very warm. Heat is very much helps the hair absorb more dye.

Also remember to never assume you have dye release, always check on your palm. When you think you have it, take a bit of paste and smear it on your palm. Give it a few minutes then wash it off... you want an obvious orange stain like this : [link]

If its lighter than that or you really have to squint to see it... let it sit another half hour and test again.

If theres nothing, let it sit at least another hour and test again.

If its light and has a yellowish tinge, you missed dye release.

Also remember to keep plastic wrap pressed firmly to the surface of the henna while it dye release as air will cause the releasing dye to oxidize and become useless before you can use it.

If you cant use it right away, tuck it in your fridge. Will keep for about 3 - 4 days. If its longer than that before you can use it, transfer the henna to a ziplock, mush it flat and throw in your freezer. Will keep 6 months that way (perfect way to store left overs too for roots!). Thaw at room temp, in the fridge or baby bath warm water. Do not microwave.

Lastly, once you get a color you want, do only your roots. Since you should not experience fading with this method, every time you do a full head application it will get darker until you hit a burgundy color on your natural color or a very dark auburn/cherry cola color on the chemically damaged parts. Henna builds in layers, becoming darker with each use. To avoid this, its best to do just your roots.

Sorry for the book!

ximebasa

Thank you soooo much for all the information.

i never tested the dye release, because i used to do it with hot water, and it worked, i will use your advise for when i prepare the mixture with lemon juice. I dont know how to upload a picture to this post of my natural color, anyway i have it reddish auburn now. i have 5 inch from the tips that is a little lighter or reddish i would say because its what remains of my chemically treated hair . but basically it all looks the same color, i will see how i can post a picture. !

i saw that they sell the raj twilight and another kit that says auburn, do you know the difference by any chance ?

Becasue i prefer it to be cooper and not the dark burgundy ( i think its what you are refering as cola ! )

thanks again for your feedback  !

x.

ACWN

You cant upload pics to the forum, only post links of them from a host site like photobucket or flickr.

The kit basically has Twilight in it, it just also has gloves and such that Twilight alone doesnt come with.

No, I dont mean dark burgundy when I say cherry cola. I mean the color that comes out of a can of soda, literally. When I say burgundy, I mean something that comes out of a wine bottle (purple-ish). If you dont want burgundy, do not do full head applications every time. Do just your roots.

ximebasa

Perfect Thanks, i ordered the Twilight, so i will keep you posted when i have to do my hair again. When i receive it i will do it with the lemon juice and will do my whole hair so i have an even color , and on the phone they suggested to leave it on for 4 hours , but i will leave it on less time i think to see how it reacts 

thanks sooo much for your advice

how long have you been using Henna ?

ACWN

If they suggested four hours, then definitely do four hours. They know what they're talking about. Less time typically means more orange hues while more time means deeper, more brown hues. If you want auburn, 4 is the way to go.

I've been using it.... about 3, almost 4 years now, I think?

ximebasa

ok perfect , i thought more time , meant more orange, ( you can tell i dont know that much !!)

the issue is the henna i used to use, would crack after an hour or so , so i usually left it on for 2 hours at the most . And for what they told me on the phone, it looks like it not 100% natural henna, im glad i cant get it anymore and i found this website.

Thanks again  

XIme

ACWN

It also sounds like you were not covering it? When henna dries, it cracks. For best results, the henna should not dry out while on its on your head because it will stop dyeing. Always cover your hair with plastic - plastic wrap, shower cap, grocery bag. Press it tight to the henna and wrap it with something warm as I mentioned before.

ximebasa

Sorry i had not seen your replay, i do cover it with a bag or disposable hair cup, but the edges, sometimes like around the ears, that might be exposed outside the bag, dry and crack . 

i have been reading also that you can add sugar to the mix .

Thanks again for your advise. 

i am waiting fro the twilight that i ordered to try it out , and keep you posted, i just dont like it plum burgundy, as long as thats not my end result , i ll be happy 

thanks 

ACWN

Sugar is more for body art, though it does kinda help for hair. With the edges you have issues with, take a bit of plastic wrap and just press it to the exposed henna, that will help as the wrap will stick to the henna.