Another newbie -- EOs and Henna?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
thomppl
Another newbie -- EOs and Henna?

I have a jojoba/lavender essential oil for hair which smells heavenly.  Can I add some drops of that to my henna?  I have BLEACHED blonde hair...trying to camouflage grey.  I have ordered samples of yemen, punjabi prime, and (I think) the purity and will try strand tests on all 3.  Once I decide I would like to make the smell not too overpowering as I have a stupidly weak stomach :)

Also, as a school teacher I have the summer off and would like to get my color to where I want it before the middle of August.  How long should I wait between applications?  After about 4 days of oxidation would it be okay to apply a "second helping"?

Thanks!

kcr
Re: Another newbie -- EOs and Henna?

I think the lavendar will be okay and won't interfere with the henna, but it may give you a headache being on your scalp.  Add it after you get dye release, since it has the jojoba in it.  I think oils interfere with dye release mainly with indigo, but just to be safe, I would wait.

You *can* henna immediately after the first henna, so it is safe to do.  The problem would be if you got your hair darker than you thought it would be the first time, then hennaed over it before it oxidized and made it darker still.  That is the reason for waiting.  But my hair rarely changes after three days, so four days sounds about right to me.

Jen

Carrier oils in your mix aren't a good idea. They can coat your hair and make it harder for the dye to be absorbed. You can use this treatment separately after you do your henna though!

When you're making a drastic change it might be a good idea to wait a week or so between treatments. When I bleached out my hair before a henna I saw significant oxidation changes for a week, and less significant change for another week after that!

kcr

If you just want to mask the odor, try powdered ginger or cardamom added to the henna after dye release.  That really does help!