Adding ingredients to frozen henna

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
marla
Adding ingredients to frozen henna

I just used henna on my hair for the first and had quite a bit of henna left over.i know I can freeze it and did so for touch ups

1/3 cup apple juice

1/3 coffe

3 tbs lime  juice Tsp cinnomon Tbs ginger Tbs all spice

Applied to dry hair ,ccelophaned my head and left on for 12 hrs.rinsed well shampooed 2 and conditioned like crazy.

My hair came out a bit dry so I was wondering if for the next time I could add yougart or something to the frozen mix after thawing, or do I need to start with a whole new batch?

ACWN
Re: Adding ingredients to frozen henna

Next time, just go with the apple juice, its acidic enough on its own. Coffee doesnt do anything but give you the jitters. The lime juice probably is what made your hair dry too.

I wouldnt add yogurt, personally. You could add a tablespoon honey per 100g henna, but you already have a lot of other stuff in it (the spices) and adding anything else may dilute the dye.

marla

Thanks so much!

I really wasn't sure what to do after reading so many posts.

I only added coffee because I read it kept the henna darker.

I really like the color on my hair ! It looks almost like my real color( brownish red) and covered the few whites I'm getting fabulously!

Honey it is!

ACWN

Most of what you read on the net about henna is old wives tales and myth, with the general exception being this site cause folks like Carrie, Jen and Lady C have tested those myths and busted 'em for us. Coffee doesnt do anything to the henna as it doesnt dye hair.

Next time you're unsure, ask ;) S'what we're here for!

phoray

The first time I ever hennad, I used cloves to cut the smell but it made my head super dry and ITCHY. The cinnamon and/or all spice may be doing the same for you.

I say pick one acid and stick with it. So, either just apple juice or just lime juice alone. I've always just used lemon juice (white vinegar in a pinch) and it works just fine. 2-3 tbsp lemon (or lime) per 100 grams.

I put ginger in my henna to cut the smell and don't think it adds anything to the actually dyeing of my hair at all.

~E

ACWN

Spices stain, they do not dye. The only thing they're good for in a henna mix is to cut the smell.

marla

Thanks for the advice on the spices

And I will most assuredly ask here next time I have problem.

This site is great!

marla

Thanks for the tips!

Carrie

Cinnamon can be irritating to the scalp, I would leave it out. In fact, for dryness I agree with using less acidity (apple juice alone is plenty) and to minimize any irritation you could skip the spices altogether.