Wrapping Henna for Dye Release

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
diamond_lvr
Wrapping Henna for Dye Release

I just have a question about the correct way to wrap henna for dye release.  I want to make sure I'm doing it the correct way, if there is one or if it matters at all.  I usually mix my henna in a pyrex bowl and place a piece of saran wrap loosely over the top of it for dye release.  Is this correct?  Am I suppossed to put saran wrap over the top of the bowl to or press the top of the henna with something to keep air off the henna?  If I've been doing it wrong, maybe thats why my color stays orangey. 

ACWN
Re: Wrapping Henna for Dye Release

You need to press the plastic wrap down on the henna while it dye releases. No air should touch the henna while its dye releasing.

Lisee

I am new- definetely not a pro (!), but after I added the orange juice and bit of vinegar and also cloves to the henna powder, (which I mixed in a plastic container), I then put then plastic lid over the plastic container and sealed it close. Then I put that inside a plastic bag- (probably didn't need to do that part). Anyway, 11 hours later,  just before I used henna, I took the plastic container out of the plastic bag, and wrapped a very warm face towel (which I warmed in the microwave) around the plastic bowl and with the lid still on it. That's how I did it. LOL. Of course, I am not doing full-strength henna, just the glossing.

Hugs, Liza 

ACWN

Lisee - the air trapped in the plastic container will still cause the henna to partially dry out, especially if its a small amount. 11 hours is a long time for orange juice too... and you didnt check for dye release, did you? You need to. Never assume.