Why hasn't it oxidized yet?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
spring water
Why hasn't it oxidized yet?

Hi,

I'm the one who started the topic: "Can I color again before the green disappeares?" I mentioned that my natural hair color is very dark brown and I would like to dye my grays to the same color. I try to reach this color result with a one-step 80indigo/20henna or 70indigo/30henna mix. But until now my tests failed. (Megumi's two-step technique worked fine, but I would like to dye my hair with a one-step technique if possible...)

I made two strand tests on 1st July: with an 80indigo/20henna and a 70indigo/30henna. By now the gray hair dyed with the 70/30 mix became light reddish brown. Nice color, but not the very dark brown I wish to have... The gray hair dyed with the 80/20 mix still hasn't oxidized - it's still light grayish green. Why is that?

As I made the two tests the same day, I used the same henna mix (with a little lemon (10%) and water (90%), and I let it sit for 5 hours in 30C). It worked for the 70/30 mix but not for the 80/20... I did everything the same (left the mixes on for 3 and a half hours), why the difference? Why the gray hair with the 80/20 mix hasn't oxidized yet, while the 70/30 did...?

Can someone help me, please?

Thanks in advance!

Carrie
Re: Why hasn't it oxidized yet?

Well, by this time it has oxidized all it's going to - it just hasn't turned brown. Probably that strand didn't get enough henna uptake to balance the indigo. If your method was identical for both tests, then 80/20 is too much indigo for your purposes, at least given the materials and method you used.

Have you tried adding amla to the henna? It increases dye uptake in general, and is often useful in getting a dark brown.

Jen

FIrst of all, I've never had any luck with a mix as indigo heavy as 80/20 in a one step application. My bet is that there's just not enough henna getting into the hair. The indigo doesn't have anything to hang onto. 

How about this... try your 80/20 mix, but instead of using lemon add a bit of amla powder directly to the henna powder and use water as your liquid. Amla temporarily changes hair in a way that makes indigo bind more readily.

spring water

Many thanks to both of you! :-) I haven't tried amla yet. I read it darkens the henna, but I didn't know that it increases dye uptake, so helps the indigo bind into my hair.

Jen, I tried this 80/20 mix because ravinder could use it sucessfully. http://forums.hennapage.com/node/369

She uses chamomile tea instead of lemon - do you think it works somewhat similar to amla? (Just because I know where to buy chamomile tea, but I've never bought amla before :-))

Carrie

Chamomile tea doesn't have any particular ability to enhance dye release the way amla does. It, or any other tea, can be used in place of lemon juice as your liquid and is often recommended to people who are sensitive to citrus. Water can also be used, but in general we recommend using something mildly acidic.

Amla powder can be found at Mehandi.com, or other online sellers of henna for hair use, or in your local Indian grocery. Amla oil does not work the same way; you would want only the powder.

spring water

Thank you, Carrie!