Emergency Henna cone - The holy grail of henna paste!!!!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
shereenkhan120
Emergency Henna cone - The holy grail of henna paste!!!!

I have learned a lot through this forums and the old forum, no doubt all the information is extremely useful. However, I have a question about a henna paste that is very easily available here in pakistan but I can not understand how does it work!!! It has the features of an ideal henna paste. This particular henna cone is sold as "Emergency Cone" and has the following qualities

* it stains really really really quickly (even within 5 min you get a good stain, simply touching the paste would also give a little bit of stain)!

* Its final stain color is also almost dark brown

* for some brands it stays on the skin only 2-3 days but for others it stays for even a week or so!

*It also stains really well on most of the body parts, not only on the palm, hand and feet

*It does not have a typical henna smell, neighther does it have any pungent or strong smell, so can be said more or less neutral

*The paste color can range from dark brown (just like the color the top layer of henna paste looks like when we prepare a new henna paste and leave it for dye release) to green in different brands

*Strangely its staining quality does not fade away if kept in a normal refrigerator

Moreover, I would like to clarify that it looks like an average henna paste. I diluted it in water, I could easily see Henna in it, so it is not the chemical which is sold in tubes (this chemical also has similar qualities but is clearly not henna).

With all 10 years experience of using henna and all the knowledge acquired through these forum I can not understand what is inside this cone that gives it all the qualities of an ideal henna paste! Can anyone amongst you guess what is it that gives it all this magic?????

Best regards,

Shereen

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Emergency Henna cone - The holy grail of henna paste!!!!

I can think of a few things that would make that work ...

tell me more about the scent.  Tell me something it reminds you of.

If you put some on a plate, and tip the plate, what color liquid runs off  and accumulates after about an hour?

since the manufacturer lists sodium picramate as one of the ingredients, my first thought is that there's PPD in there somewhere, working with sodium picramate, and the henna oil seems to have terpineol, but may have more: the manufacturer does say that if you use it on eyebrows, it can cause inflammation.

Sodium picramate: A yellow solid. Toxic by inhalation and skin absorption; can react vigorously with reducing agents (quick dark color?)

Best return to mixing a henna that's got over a 3% lawsone content the usual way, with an acidic liquid and a monoterpene alcohol.

CCartwrightJones
admin

"An analysis of various popular mehndi and black mehndi brands revealed the presence of toxic chemicals, metals, organic solvents and textile dyes, most of which are carcinogenic in nature. Despite the fact that hospitals report a large number of cases in which people’s skins have been damaged or scarred after using adulterated mehndi, the market continues to thrive. This can be traced not only to public ignorance, but the fact that there is a legal vacuum given that no section of the Drugs Act 1976 deals specifically with the use of chemicals in cosmetic products. As a result, all sorts of hazardous chemicals continue to be sold openly at Jodia bazaar, including dangerously adulterated mehndi."

Dr Nasiruddin Khan, the head of the centralised science laboratory at Karachi University

http://www.dawn.com/2008/09/29/local12.htm

shereenkhan120

thx a lot catherine for such an eye opening information. I will for sure never use such adulterated henna ever again and would rather stick to my own prepared henna paste, no matter even if it takes two days to develop a good stain :).

There is one statement in the articles that are making me worry a lot. I will quote it here and would love to have your point of veiw on this

"The safety of henna as a hair colourant was evaluated in 2005 by the European Union’s Scientific Committee on Cosmetic and Non-Food Products. The committee concluded that lawsone (also known as hennotannic acid), which is a red-orange dye present in the leaves of the henna plant and is the principal colouring ingredient in mehndi, was mutagenic and unsuitable for use as a hair dye."

As far as I can remember, whatever I studied from your website and forum, I always new henna itself was COMPLETELY SAFE!!!

Regards,

Shereen

CCartwrightJones
admin

That EU statement was based on some VERY DODGY research work.  The experiments were set up in a way that would insure a negative result, and I believe the chemical hair dye industry had a hand in tweeking the results they way they wanted.

There have been several subsequent research projects done by researchers who didn't have a chemical industry connection, and their published results show that .... henna as used to dye hair and skin does not pose any health threat except in the case of G6PD deficiency.

"Science" can be used to "prove" something absolutely false if you cook the methodology, but subsequent research will catch up with it.  That's what's cool about science.  You can use it to lie once ... but the lie will be disproved because the methods are public.

Its irritating that that particular one keeps coming back, and the papers refuting the results aren't as well known (because the EU statement got internet traction) ... but at least its been well and thoroughly refuted