Washing with baking soda?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
spiral
Washing with baking soda?

Hi all, I'm new to henna and have a question. I usually wash my hair with baking soda at the roots only, then condition. This was working great since my hair gets very oily at the top but is a bit fried from a perm at the ends. Few days ago I put henna in for the first time, using henna/apple cider vinegar combination overnight.  Washed it for the first time today with baking soda and was surprised to see the water coming out orange. Is this normal or is it washing/fading the henna out of my hair? I really like the color and don't want it to fade, but I just realized that the vinegar and baking soda probably isn't a good combination. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

ACWN
Re: Washing with baking soda?

Henna will cause orange bleeding for a while sometimes, your best option is to try an ACV rinse to see if that helps. Baking soda washes typically pull the color out, at least with indigo in the first 24 hours. It may do the same for henna. It may cause fading over time - perhaps try a few other washes? There are shampoo bars from mehandi.com.

Jen

No, baking soda washes don't pull out henna. Orange run-off is caused by some henna residue left over in hair after the rinse. Its really hard to get all the henna out with out something extra slick or something that lathers. Once all the henna dust is finally gone the "bleeding" will stop.

kidzaplenty

I have been doing baking soda wash and ACV rinse for a few months now, and I have used henna twice in that time (the third time is on my head now).  I agree with pp, the BS does not seem to fade my henna at all (though I do have dark hair, so I can not be sure what it might look like on lighter hair).  I get a lot of run off the first few washed after I hanna, but then no more.  And my red seems just a vibrant a few weeks later, after a dozen washes, as it does four days later (after final color is achieved).

spiral

Thank you all for your replies. Since it sounds like it's just residue, I will continue with my routine and not worry about it anymore.