Just curious...

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous (not verified)
Just curious...

I have been reading a little bit about henna, but I am new to this topic so I don't know much about it. I am intrigued by the practice of applying henna to the soles of the feet, but I would like to know more about the significance of this. Does anyone have any knowledge of this, or can you point me to a good source? I am a massage therapist and I work barefoot, so I'm curious if this would be something I could do to help protect myelf energetically when I work. 

Jen
Re: Just curious...

I'm sorry. I hoped someone with more spacific knowledge would pipe up. Since no one else has replied I'll offer the little bit I know.

I don't know of any specific spiratual significance of hennaing soles, but I do know its been used medicinally to cool the body, cure fungus, and to protect feet from cuts, cracks, hang nails, etc. It does actually make skin stronger and there's some evidence that it eases pain too!

In general (not specifically soles of feet) henna sybolizes joy and protection.

diomira (not verified)

The only thing I know about applying henna to feet is that it has a cooling effect. I read somewhere that it was practiced in antiquity: the sand did not burn the feet as much when you walked on it. I tried it myself a few years ago (crazy, I know, lol) -- dyed my feet with henna and walked on the heated pavement in July (in South Carolina), and it's true, it didn't feel as hot as it normally did.  That's the extent of my knowledge, lol... 

diomira (not verified)

P.S. I was talking about the soles of your feet...