Recipe for rich strawberry blonde henna/cassia blend

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous (not verified)
Recipe for rich strawberry blonde henna/cassia blend

Hi everyone! I'm new here and have been doing lots of research lately about henna. I'm a hair dye addict (using chemical dyes) and it's taken it's tole on my hair, so I've decided to switch to natural hair dyes (henna, cassia, etc.). I also love red hair, so henna seems perfect for me! I need advice on the best method for achieving a rich strawberry blonde color. My hair is currently a very light strawberry blonde (I just did a henna gloss over my light blonde hair, so it's slightly reddish), but I want to make it darker. I only left the henna glaze on for 10 minutes because I was afraid of it going too dark. I've found a recipe online that tells me to use 80% cassia and 20% henna and to leave it on for four hours. Here is the color I would like to achieve: http://meestervslively.blogspot.com/2011/05/hello-blake.html

Any advice for me?

ACWN
Re: Recipe for rich strawberry blonde henna/cassia blend

What color is your hair naturally? That is going to make a huge difference on your color when your roots grow in. If your hair is any shade of brown, you would have to first lighten it to get and keep that color. Its a lot of upkeep, been there and done it.

Honestly, since everyone hair is different and reacts differently to the dyes, its best to strand test unless you think you can be happy with whatever you get. Strand testing will tell you what mix and how long is best for your hair.

heatherblossom (not verified)

Hi ACWN,

Thanks for the advice! My natural hair is (I think) between a dirty blonde and a light mousy brown. Would a copper red be  better for me? A 50/50 cassia/henna mix?

ACWN

My recommendation, which is what we normally recommend in cases like yours, is to dye your hair back to your natural color as closely as you can - if at all possible. What this will do is make the transition from chemical damage to virgin much smoother/easier and reduce the line of demarcation where as if you dye your hair as it is now with henna, its likely take on a very orange tone as that is the nature of henna over chemically lightened hair and your natural color will be much darker. Now, your chemically damaged length would come out much brighter than your roots, but! it will still be less drastic. This is entirely optional and up to you.

As far as what color would be better for you, I couldnt really judge that. I would strand test a 50/50 mix and a 80/20 mix, give them a week and see which you like better after oxidation. I would also maybe strand test a gloss of a ratio of 1 - 2 tablespoons henna into a cup conditioner (obviously it would be drastically less for a strand test, but I'm not good at scaling it down) for an hour to two hours.

That totally makes sense (about dying it back to my natural color). Also the strand testing is a good idea. I have another question. Is there a way to lighten my hair after using henna, besides bleach, if the red were to turn out too dark? I prefer lighter/brighter reds over dark reds. What if I just used a straight up henna mix and I wanted a bright red over dark blonde/light brown hair? How long approximately do you think I'd need to leave it on? My hair seems to soak up dye quickly.

ACWN

A straight henna, depending on which henna you use and how long you leave it on, is likely to give you a light auburn to dark auburn, maaaaybe cherry cola but probably not in one go. These are colors, from the sounds of it, that you do not want. I would not recommend using a straight henna mix unless the henna was very weak like mehandi.com's Raj. Jasmine and that I would leave on no more than 2 hours, max. But, you'd want to strand test to be sure.

Methods of lightening can be honey lightening (very gradual, sortve hit or miss... but very gentle); developer (which is basically just peroxide... more gentle than bleaching, but still damages); Sun-In or a homemade version or bleaching.

On the subject of which henna to use for a cassia mix or gloss, I would recommend Punjabi Prime.

Oh okay, I will stick with a henna/cassia blend then. I kinda want a color inbetween a copper red and strawberry blonde.

I'm trying to avoid lightening my hair since it sustained damage from all of the chemical bleaches and dyes. Even Sun-in was starting to damage my hair.

At this moment, I'm considering dying my hair brown using a 50/50 henna/indigo mix. This color is so pretty: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/katharineg/

ACWN

Keep in mind that if you do so, you'll have to want to keep it for the long haul. Plant dyes are not for people who like to constantly and drastically change their hair. Once you have plant dyes in your hair, they're there until you trim it off, this is why I keep stressing strand testing. Indigo cannot be lifted/lightened as everything but the indigo will lift, leaving you with a blotchy, moldy green.

And strand testing is a definite must when indigo is involved. Chemically damaged hair can suck up the indigo dye much faster than virgin hair, resulting in a color that is much darker than you were expecting.

On a side note, its best not to follow the mixes on the page you linked as they are very out of date. What was known as the must-dos and correct methods when those pages were originally made are not the correct methods now. That particular one you linked isnt too far off from what is done now, but there are little things (IE: letting the indigo sit, adding EOs to the henna) that we dont recommend now.

Thanks so much for your advice! I realize that plant dyes are for the long haul, which is why I'm seeking advice from others who are experienced with these dyes. :) I just need to decide which color I want. I guess what you said about going back to my natural color before hennaing got me thinking about brown. But maybe I should use a synthetic dye, so it's less permanent? And then if I decide I want red, I will use henna and cassia.

Jen

That's really not a bad idea if you're not oppposed to chemical dyes. Also, with plant dyes, its a good idea to start with the lightest color that you think you MIGHT because you can always go darker next time, but you can't so easily remove color.

Thanks, Jen! I really want to get away from chemical dyes, which is why I am here. I'm thinking that if I did decide to apply henna over my current color, I could always use sun-in on the roots before adding more henna. Either that or, I could just henna it to a light auburn color so that the roots will blend in better, once they grow out. I wouldn't mind being light auburn. It's a very pretty color. Something like this would be pretty: http://haircolorpictures1.blogspot.com/2010/10/auburn-hair-color.html

Or I might just do the strawberry blonde over my current hair. I think I should start light and then if I want it darker, I can do more rinses until I'm happy with the color.

So, I just mixed up a batch of 100 grams of cassia and 4 teaspoons of Jamila henna. I'll let it sit for 12 hours and then apply it for maybe an hour (don't want to risk it getting too dark). Can't wait to try it!! :D I'll probably wait until Monday morning to apply it. I'll post pics when I'm done!! Soooo excited!! :D Oh and btw, I don't know why some people complain of the smell because I think it smells yummy! It reminds me of black tea!

ACWN

What did you mix it with?

Remember to place it in the fridge since you dont plan on using it until Monday, this will keep it from demising on you.

I mixed it with half lemon/lime juice and half warm water (since I ran out of lemon juice).  Thanks for the heads up about the fridge!

ACWN

It will probably be ready in less than 12 hours, especially since you used warm water (not really a recommended thing for henna). Heat speeds up dye release and demise.

Oh, I didn't know that! When do you think it will be ready?

ACWN

Depends on how warm the water was. My guess is 8 hours or less and normally I would suggest starting to test for dye release (putting some henna paste on the palm of your hand, let sit a few minutes, then rinse off - you want an obvious orange stain) at about 6 hours, but it sounds like you mixed the two powders together then added liquid? If this is the case, you cant test for dye release cause of the cassia, it wont leave an obvious stain on your skin.

Oh okay. Well, it's been an hour now. How long do you think I should wait?

ACWN

I honestly couldnt tell you and thats probably going to be very hard to determine for anyone else cause we dont know how warm the water was or what you would consider "warm" - IE for me, warm would be just above my own body temp aka baby bath temp.

Sorry :/

If you still have any remaining powder, I would suggest maybe starting all over and mix the two powders seperately. I know you said you're out of lemon juice but you can use orange, apple, or even tea. Course, these will dye release faster because they're less acidic.

Or you could just apply it now and see what you get after an hour or two.

Okay, thanks! I don't have any powder left, so I'd have to apply this one.

So, I have my henna mix on my head right now. It took quite a while to put it all on, but now I can sit and relax. I'm not sure if I should leave it on for one hour or two hours. It's 100 grams of cassia and 4 teaspoons of henna and my starting color is light golden blonde. What do you think?