More Henna = Darker Brown or Darker Red?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lisee
More Henna = Darker Brown or Darker Red?

Hi, I used the Ancient Sunrise Henna- Red. I like the color a lot and like what it did for my hair. I am curious about something: If I did the exact same procedure on my hair again (Red Sunrise Henna), would it make my hair Darker Brown, or a Darker Red?

I have naturally med brown hair, and the Ancient Sunrise made it darker brown with deep red/auburn highlights. I really like the color a lot. But, even more so, I like how it took care of my dandruff, and made my hair (normally fine textured) thicker and softer.

Is there a product from this site that I can use periodically, and safely, that will not color my hair, but will give all the same results as the Henna (softer, no dandruff, thicker hair)? I still wonder how it would look if I did Henna my hair with the Red Sunrise every 2 months?

Liza :-)

Carrie
Re: More Henna = Darker Brown or Darker Red?

Cassia gives similar results. To me, it gives less shine and softening, more thickening compared to henna. On your color of hair it will not affect the color (its pale gold dye only shows on very blonde or white hair).

Using henna repeatedly on medium brown hair can look like this:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=9052

Lisee

Wow! That sure is a pretty color on that girl! It's beautiful. I wonder what brand of Henna on this site she is using? I saw PP, but don't see that on this site, and really don't want to go for Jamila if its not guaranteed to be pure. I wonder if Celebration would give this lustrous red color? Or, Dark of the Moon? Or, I could just keep Hennaing every couple of months with Ancient Sunrise Red! I just wonder how red, or dark it would look after 10 years?? LOL; I like to think ahead.

Liza

Carrie

Jamila henna is pure in the sense that it's just henna, finely sifted and fresh. I would use Jamila without any qualms at all. Dye content varies, and some crops may have *traces* of lead or pesticides that drifted over on the wind from the next field over, or whatnot. Pesticides are not generally applied to henna fields.

The woman in that thread says which hennas she used: Yemen henna and then Punjabi Prime, both of which are available from Mehandi. She had used henna numerous times to get that color.

It would not take you 10 years to reach full saturation like that (the most color you can build up to) with monthly henna. It would not even take you 1 year if you use a henna as strong as Punjabi Prime and leave it at least 4 hours each time, and that one is not even particularly strong compared to Celebration.

liana

Hello Carrie, 

I would love to see this picture that you posted. When I tried clicking on it it said "Forbidden". Is it still available? 

Carrie

Unfortunately the old forum is no longer viewable. The color in the photo was similar to this - dark brown in most light but with a deep cherry cola color in bright sun:  

stylespotter.luckymag.com/assets/looks/0001/3106/large.jpg

t0.gstatic.com/images

liana

Thanks!!!

Lisee

Thank you, very much, for all the info! It helps me to understand it all. This Henna on this site is such a great product!

Liza

Danmara

My hair has reached a similar color to hers with PP and lemon juice- I too have medium brown hair naturally and I LOVE the color. If you like the color and it suits your skin tone...go for it!

Lisee

Thank you, Danmara! I am new to the site, so I didn't realize that I had a new reply.

Hugs,

Liza

NaturalRach

Hi :o) 

Rather than start my own thread, i thought it would be easier to jump into this one, as it's along the same subject.  Hello :o) 

Hi Carrie. i have recently used Henna for the first time, i used a Yemen red henna powder, with added hibiscus powder (100gms of henna to 50gms of hibiscus) I am currently a few days into the oxidisation process. I looked into the different methods, types of henna etc before ordering it, so that i could to achieve what i wanted (there is so much info though and i clearly should of done a bit more homework first lol) The colour is currently like carrot cake (only thing i can think of to compare it to lol) It is more orange in the natural light and darker indoors.  It wasn't exactly the colour i was aiming for, i would really like to achieve a burgundy colour, similar to the pics you have attached to the thread (only not quite as dark if possible)

I am worried it will end up too dark if i keep applying henna and too often or that it will go further towards the orange tones (both of which i would like to avoid)

Could you please give me any guidance possible to head in the right direction?  ie which henna to go with next next, what to add to it if needed and when to next apply???

Many thanks :o) 

Carrie

To go from carrot cake to burgundy, use henna again. Use a less acidic mix (not lemon juice or amla, but something more like strong chamomile tea). Apply for at least 3-6 hours. If your hair is blonde and you need to add some darkness to approach burgundy, add 10 or 20% indigo to the henna. If your hair is brown you should not need to use any indigo at all, just keeping using henna. If it's burgundy, it WILL be dark. Henna is always brighter in sunshine, darker indoors, and orangey-brownish under fluorescent lights. No way to avoid that :)

NaturalRach

Hi Carrie

Thank you the quick reply :o)

Oh ok cool, that's fine i would rather it be dark and burgundy than lighter and orange (and that's fine under florescent light, lol i can live with two outta three) So being medium (mousey brown) i don't need to worry about the indigo and just keep applying henna, last time i mixed it with water and about a tablespoon of lemon juice (was worried the lemon would be too acidic for my scalp as it's really dry)  Would you recommend a henna or does it not really matter?  Next and i hope final question (thank you) How often would you say to apply it?  Should i wait for each application to fully oxidise first? (sorry that was two questions lol)

Hopefully my hair will look as sweet as Cherry cola soon rather than a scrummy slab of carrot cake ;o) 

Thanks again 

Carrie

A higher dye content henna like Twilight will build up to its deepest color with fewer applications than a lower dye content henna.  Not everyone eventually reaches burgundy (a deep red with cooler, almost purplish tones) but in order to try for that, you'd need to use henna multiple times; probably 3-5 times with a high dye content henna, and leave it on 3-6 hours each time. You don't have to wait for oxidation in between but I've never tried doing it closer together than about a week, myself.

NaturalRach

Thank you for all the advice :o) 

I would really love to order the product from mehandi.com, unfortunately because i am based in the UK i can't justify the postage cost to ship it over (such a bummer!!)  :o(  I will look to find one that has a higher lawsone % (anything over 2%) is that my best option?

I will keep applying, embracing and enjoying the diverse colour change of henna on hair :o)  So glad i tried it, chemical dye was no longer an option for me, but it would of been a nightmare without you guys, you've been such a help!

Thank you

:o) 

Carrie

Yes, over 2% would be good.

jjoleigh

Does anybody know...I henna'd once 3 weeks ago. I want to do it again, but I have the same question. Will it make my hair darker red or darker brown :) I'm using nupur mehendi from my local indian grocery. 

Carrie

It will add more red tones, but will also be darker. 

Kathryn

Sorry to jump in, but I have a couple of questions regarding this. Can you mix Henna's - like I have a small amount left of African could I add it to Twilight? 

Also, if you keep doing glosses of Cassia and a small amount of henna will they build up? Thanks.

ACWN

Yes, you can mix hennas. I believe you would average out the strength, but I cant remember for sure.

Yes, it will build up. Plant dyes always build up, even when they are diluted.

Kathryn

I like the first gloss I did with200g Cassia and 2tsp of Twilight henna. It came out a strawberry blond, but more coppery. I am not totally sure of the darkness I am looking for so it seems like the glosses are a good option. One thing I have learned for sure on this site is to do test strips. I actually do them on my head kind of underneath. I am excited about this decision I made to Stop the chemicals, but it is a process. You have to have a lot of patients. 

Do you thing African Henna is more red than Twilight?

ACWN

Henna for African Hair has a lower dye content, but not by much. I'm not sure what you're mean by "more red". All henna is red, it just varies in shade.

Kathryn

Ok I think I have my answer. I looked in the ordering page and African is described as a Amber color and Twilight is described as Auburn. So from these descriptions I would think African would be more coppery in color. So far I have tried both and cannot tell but I am sure that later on after doing another gloss I will start to see the shade. Right now I have Twilight. Thank you for your help. 

Carrie

Any color distinction between the 2 hennas would be pretty subtle. Henna for African Hair doesn't come out Amber colored, it's still henna red but with a very subtle ambery (slightly rust colored, I'd say) undertone to it. But as ACWN says, all henna comes out basically in the same orange-to-red color range on white hair. Much depends on the color you're starting from. On brown hair for example, you may not see any distinguishable difference, other than that related to the amount of dye uptake you get from a higher dye content henna. Twilight can come out deep red/auburn even on white hair if you leave it on for 5-6 hours. 

Kathryn

Ok that makes sense. Actually it was because of you Carrie that I decided to do the Cassia glosses with henna in them. So far I have only done one. I thought this would ease me into the color. I have read so many post where the color is to dark. I first used a boxed henna from the vitamin store and the color was disastrous. My grays were gold red and my hair was bozo dark red. It did not change after a week so I started over and this time very carefully. All of you girls constantly state to test strip first just so you know I listen to that. This forum is very helpful and all of you are great. Thank you. 

UKkatie
Hi,

Just wondering about your gloss of cassia and henna - how did you mix that?

What was your original colour?

Ta!
Kathryn
I started with a light brown color with some highlights this was chemical colors and my roots are some mousey brown with about 30% gray. I have read so much on this site and my favorite color is Carrie's hair when she did glosses. http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/3787007269/in/set-72157623088472780/ however I have been to scared to use indigo in my mix which is 100 g Cassia with 2 tsp dye released henna. I mixed it with camomile tea and apple juice and left it on for 2 hours. Since I have only done roots. I plan to do some test strips this weekend with indigo mixed in. I wish you could still get buxus.