Advice Please

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
DebT
Advice Please

Hi everyone, I did my first Henna on Sunday Nov 25.   I did not realize there were differences in henna etc.  I used Light Mountain Red on it mixed with water.  I ordered Rajashani Twightlight from Mehandi.com.   I am hoping for a richer red and not so much orange.   While I wait for the henna to come in, could you guys provide me advice such as what to mix it with, how long to let it cure, how long it to stay on etc.   My picture is uploaded.  Thank you for your help!!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/90680814@N08/8231434534/in/pool-hennaforhair

ACWN
Re: Advice Please

If you're happy with any red, I would suggest mixing the henna with lemon juice (dye release time of 8 - 12 hours, maybe upwards of 24) or apple juice (release time of 6 - 8 hours) if you want something more gentle. Once you get an obvious orange stain on your palm, apply the henna, cover with plastic and something to keep it warm (scarf, beanie, etc etc) and let it sit for 4 hours.

Keep in mind that it may still be very orange the first 48 hours. DO NOT PANIC. This is normal and it will oxidize down over a period of a week.

If you're looking for a more specific shade, please link us with a pic so we can offer a different mix/application time.

DebT

I did not time my dye release the greatest.  Can I leave it for 18 hours?  Room temp?  Otherwise I will be putting it in my hair at 1am - 12 hours

ACWN

What did you mix it with? You can put it in the fridge and that will save it (cold slows dye release/demise), depending on what you mixed it with. If it was anything but lemon juice, I would not expect it to be working any more after 18 hours... but test it on your palm and see if you get an orange stain.

DebT

Lemon juice

ACWN

It should be okay after 18 hours (if its been that long), but test it and see, thats all I can really offer. If you get an obvious orange stain on your palm after a few minutes with no yellow tones, its still good. If you cant use it now, put it in the fridge till tomorrow. If its going to be more than a couple days, put it in a ziplock, mush it flat and freeze it. Thaw on the counter, do not microwave.

DebT

Thanks!  I am pretty wide awake and did the test on my palm. According to my timer, it has been in the bowl mixed with lemon juice for 7 hours.    I got almost (very close..a little yellow) an orange stain but will go ahead and let it sit for 60 more minutes.   Once I put it on it will be around  9:30 pm.  What is the max time I could leave it on my hair?  I like red so that is no problem for me.

ACWN

The only "max time" is the time limit set by what color you want, really. You could sleep with it on if you wanted to for convenience sake but keep in mind that while the longer you leave it on, the darker it will get, there is no real benefit to leaving it on more than 6- 8 hours (some people leave it on a full 12! @_@). There is a strong color difference between leaving it on two hours and four hours, theres less of a difference between four and six hours and even less so between six and eight. And you'll get more color out of two short back to back applications than you would a single long application (IE: two 2 hr back to back vs a single 4 hour) because henna builds in layers.

DebT

Thank you :)  My favorite is like this ----->http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=alyson+hannigan+red+hair&view=detail...

I also liked the color of "Rose" on Titanic if that helps :)

ACWN

Uhm, well... to be honest... it seems, at least to me, that your color is already pretty darn close to that. Alyson's hair has a lot of copper in it.

If you want something closer to Rose's hair, I would say maybe 3 hours... but since you are looking for a more specific shade rather than just any ol' red.. you really should strand test so you know what you're going to get before you do it. Henna is very literally permanent and difficult to remove.

DebT

Thanks! I love more of Alyson's...I was wanting to put the twighlight on it because like a doofus, I did the following prior to even THINKING about using henna - had dark brown dye on it....stripped out the color with a stripper...put TWO permanet dye colors (both reds but more burgendy).  Got major scabs on my scalp which are now healed.    Waited for almost two weeks and put the Light Mountain Henna on it (did not realize there was better henna out there).  I want the shine that everyone is talking about :)   I am  hoping my Twightlight from here gets here tomorrow.  Thank you so much for the advice.   I don't think I will ever go back to permanent dye.  I could never get the red that was shiney like what I am hearing from others from a box.

ACWN

Please strand test all the same unless you can be happy with whatever you happen to get. Twilight is a very strong henna and it could go very dark on you very easily if left on too long. And once you get a color you like, do only your roots from then on as the color will build up otherwise. Keep in mind that you may have to change your mix/times when your virgin roots grow in.

Oh, and all the stuff in the LM instructions and what not? Disregard it. Well, save for strand testing and patch testing.. those are good ideas in general. But everything else? Yeah, forget it. Henna, when mixed and applied properly, does not fade. Its there till you cut it off. There is no concern about what you mix it in (though it can/will stain plasic tupperware)... You dont need to wait between chemical dyes, straighteners or perms to apply pure henna. Its safe to do so.

Pure henna also doesnt come in "colors". It only produces one dye color - red/orange. To get anything else (brown, black), you need indigo. There is no such thing as neutral henna, its usually cassia boxed as henna. Black henna is often dangerous because it contains PPD, which is a very nasty chemical.

DebT

Great advice!   I read somewhere that you can not flat iron Henna hair?  Is that true?  I have wavy hair and do like it straight once in awhile.  Especially my bangs.

ACWN

You CAN, but it will make the henna very dark.

hollyk

Flat ironing darkens henna? That's really interesting! What do you mean by dark? Darker red? 

I flat ironed a small patch of my hair last week (I have a cowlick) and haven't noticed much difference...but it IS on the back of my head. :)

DebT

That answered that for me then!!  :)   I will post pictures and will do a strand test.   Thanks for all of your help - great site!

Carrie

Flat ironing can make the color of hennaed hair darker, like browner, or darker auburn, depending on what your starting color is. One woman had nice light coppery/strawberry blonde hennaed hair (she started with blonde hair and put henna on it) that she liked, but found that using a curling iron on her bangs turned them to a darker shade of red/auburn. The rest of her hair, where she didn't use heat or certainly didn't use it as much, was a lighter color than her bangs. It's kind of like direct heat applicances speed up the normal oxidizing process hennaed hair goes through, and maybe add a little extra darkening. Blow dryers don't really do this, it seems to be just the higher heat appliances like flat irons/straighteners, crimping irons, curling irons - things that heat up pretty hot; the irons can get up to 400 degrees or so. 

DebT

Wow did not realize my hot iron was getting that hot!   I know when I was not careful, I would burn the hair.  Guess it is time to put that thing up since I really want to grow my hair out and let it be healthy for once!  Thanks :)

ACWN

You could use a soft bristle brush and a blow dryer to style your hair. Having straight hair myself (and admittedly not being too into hair styling), I'm not sure how you would go about using it to straighten your hair... but when I was stuck having to curl my hair under from a poorly done hair cut and my own hair's insistance at popping out at the ends when drying, I would use a round bristle brush and my blow dryer. Never darkened my color.

DebT

Thanks, I will stick to our original plan :)   4 Hours to keep it on.   I have a great book to read while I let it do its thing :)

DebT

I put this on early Sunday morning.   So far I am thinking it looks pretty natural

http://forums.hennapage.com/comment/reply/5781

ACWN

Oooh! It came out lovely! Should take some more outside now that its been a few days.

I dont know that I would say its at its final color at day three, usually takes about a week to fully settle... but it shouldnt go too much darker.. just a little more brownish. Though I dont know that it will be all that obvious.

At any rate, do you like it?

DebT

Oh sorry for the confusion, this is the one I put on Sunday and washed out on Monday 1:00 AM.  I am thinking we are on day 1.   The first henna was the light mountain box over a permanent bad dye.   This is the Twighlight that I had ordered from this site.   I am VERY pleased with it.  I have been dying my hair for almost 15 years (went premature gray) so this was a welcome change to not see my ends burn off ! 

ACWN

Oh, okay. The labels on your henna pics confused me, I think, cause I went through them all. The copper/light auburn from the pics in the car I saw looks fantastic though! If thats your starting results, it'll settle down nicely.

DebT

It did settle down  nicely.   I ordered rainwash and the Zizyphus Spina Christi and Juniper Shampoo Bar...can't wait!   Anyway, here is a picture of today.   I can not believe how thick and soft my hair feels - this was with no product other than a bit of protective spray before I used my blow dryer on low heat.    I can not wait for it to grow out, I have always kept short because I felt it had no body!

Recent picture (today) outside -http://www.flickr.com/photos/90680814@N08/8253193913/in/photostream

Thank you ACWN!

ACWN

Oh, NOW I know what happened. You didnt link on your last post, so I had scrolled up to your original to click the link... it was for the H4H flickr group, so the pictures I went through belonged to other people and didnt realize it. My bad.

Any way! It looks great.

DebT

Ah - I wondered since I only had two pics at the time :)   Sorry about that!

Thanks I am keeping up with yours - trust me I will need help when I am ready to do my roots!  I ordered the rainwater, so I can use it when I get it with no issues?

ACWN

You mean rainwash? Yeah! It'll be fine :)