Best Mix for Rajasthani Monsoon???

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lynora
Best Mix for Rajasthani Monsoon???

Hello, I'm a newbie and I'm trying Henna for the first time. I ordered RM, but I wanted to know what the best mix would be for dye release. I don't want to use lemon juice because I don't think my scalp will be able to handle it. I've seen that using tea will give a darker/maroon type red which I think I would like. I am AA with naturally dark-brown hair. Any help would be appreciated. 

ACWN
Re: Best Mix for Rajasthani Monsoon???

There is no "best" as a general rule.. its what works best for YOU. For some people, thats lemon juice. For some, its apple and for others its tea.

The only thing the type of liquid you use effects (besides how long it takes for it to release/demise) is whether or not the end result post-oxidation is more of a rusty color or more of a true red. It will not make your hair darker or lighter, that has to do with your starting color, the dye content and how long you leave it on.

Unfortunately, plant dyes cannot lighten, only add to what you have... so depending on how dark your hair naturally is, you may not see much or any visible color change in most normal indoor lighting and possibly only a red sparkle in the sun.

To get the most out of your henna, mix it with either apple jucie (dye release time of 6 - 8 hours) or tea (1 - 6 hours, depending on which you use and how strong you make it. NEVER use hot tea, room temp or chilled only)... then once you have dye release - never assume, always test for it on you palm.. you want a vivid orange stain - transfer the henna into a ziplock bag, mush it flat and freeze it. Freezing helps the henna release more dye, but it only works when henna is already dye releasing.

Thaw it at room temp.

Apply and leave on for 5 - 6 hours, minimum.

Lynora

Does it matter what type of apple juice is used? Also, can I just leave the mixture overnight, or should I freeze it within 6-8 hours? 

ACWN

You can use any apple juice you like. I would not advise letting it sit overnight unless its very, very cold out, and as I said.. do not assume it will be ready in that time frame. Never assume, always test. It could be sooner, it could be longer or it could be smack dab in the middle. Some hennas take forever to dye release and some are very quick. Temp of the liquid and the room its left in to dye release also plays a factor. Never use hot or boiling water, and do not leave it in a room that is warmer than 75 degrees F as it will be too easy to miss dye release entirely.

Jen

My apple juice mixes do ok overnight when I leave them in my basement in winter which is about 60. The rest of the year I let it dye relelase in the evening at 70-75 degrees checking every couple hours. It usually takes about 5-6 hours. Then I put it in the fridge overnight and use it in the moringing.

wendy c

Hi,  I always learn something new from you guys; I thought i could use it right away , after dye release.

Freezing henna will help to release more dye?,  then once its frozen and I leave it at room temp to defrost , there is no risk of loosing the dye release,  it will take some time to be able to use this henna again.

I am waiting for my 400grms of Rajastani twiglight to arrive and use it for the first time, I have very thick black hair and I am aiming for an auburn -mahoganysh in tint in my 30% gray hair, thats my main target, if some redish tint goes to my black hair ,then welcome it is, covering gray is my goal , not really want to mix it with indigo.

ACWN

Since henna is a plant, the freezing causes the cells to burst, releasing a little more dye. You certainly can use it right as soon as you have dye release, but to get the most out of it... freezing helps.

Dont let it sit too long at room temp once its thawed, it will still demise. You can use it as soon as you can mush it up, it doesnt have to be totally warm.

JY
ACWN, you said something very interesting in your post: quote "The only thing the type of liquid you use effects (besides how long it takes for it to release/demise) is whether or not the end result post-oxidation is more of a rusty color or more of a true red." end of quote. If I want my end results post-oxidation to be true red - what liquid do you suggest I use to activate the dye in henna? another question, is it apple juice that should be used or apple cider vinegar ? JY
Carrie
For truer red, less rusty orange/brown, I prefer strong Chamomile tea.

When we talk about apple juice we don't mean vinegar :)
Lynora

Once I let the henna sit on my hair, am I supposed to shampoo again? Or do I just rinse, apply deep conditioner, and rinse again? 

Carrie

Use conditioner (lots of it) to help get the henna paste out. Once your rinse water is running clear, then you can shampoo (unless you used indigo, in which case you should wait a couple days).