Itchy and sore scalp after two step henna and indigo

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paperrose
Itchy and sore scalp after two step henna and indigo

Hi, I did a two step henna and indigo, using a splash of lemon in my henna and some sea salt in my indigo. I left the henna on 6 hours and the indigo, 2 1/2 hours. Now, my scalp feels a little sore and its very itchy at the back and sides. Is this normal? Is the itch a sign of an allergic reaction? Any suggestions on preventing this from happening next time? Thanks.

ACWN
Re: Itchy and sore scalp after two step henna and indigo

It could be a sign of a reaction, or it could be from the acid and/or weight of the pastes. Best way to know is to mix each powder with distilled water and apply to the inside of your elbow or behind your ear (it will stain) and let sit for several hours. If you get any reactions (see very bottom of my post) during or 48 hours afterwards (though you may want to watch for any symptoms for a full week), its probably a reaction. Obviously you'll want to do just one at a time and give it a week in between so you know which you're reacting to.

Also keep in mind that the itching can be caused from residue left behind but you do want to try and wait at least 48 hours before you use shampoo as it can cause the indigo to be pulled out when its freshly done. If its too much itching, just jump in the shower and rinse your hair a while, or you could soak in the tub a bit with your hair submerged - try to use cool water to help soothe the tenderness and gently massage your scalp to help with the itching and remove any possible residue.

Signs to watch out for:

• Skin: irritation, redness, itching, swelling, blistering, weeping, crusting, rash, eruptions, or hives (itchy bumps or welts)
  • Lungs: wheezing, tightness, cough, or shortness of breath
  • Head: swelling or bumps on the face and neck, eyelids, lips, tongue, or throat, hoarseness of voice, headache
  • Nose: stuffy nose, runny nose (clear, thin discharge), sneezing
  • Eyes: red (bloodshot), itchy, swollen, or watery or swelling of the area around the face and eyes
  • Stomach: pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or bloody diarrhea
  • Other: fatigue, sore throat
Paperrose

I checked off 4 symptoms on the list, so its definately an allergic reaction and I suspect its the indigo. I've used henna a few times in the past without any symptoms. The cool water rinse helped to calmed down my itchy scalp. I have alot of white hairs along the front and crown so doing henna alone would leave me bright orange. Considering the beautiful results I got from using indigo, I think i'll just grin and bear it. Thanks for the tips.

Carrie

Please do a patch test with each dye separately (omit the lemon) before you reapply. A true allergic or sensitivity reaction could be much worse with repeated use. 

ACWN

I agree with Carrie, please patch test to be sure. Allergic reactions can happen any time, even to things you've never been allergic to before. The body simply decides it no longer likes a particular thing and freaks out, causing a reaction. You could go from nothing at all to being in the ER in severe, life threatening condition in one go. I know this because it happened to my mom, so please test and use caution from now on. If your patch test comes up positive, its strongly suggested you consider other avenues for your own health and safety.

Paperrose

I will definitely do a patch test with each separately as you described before using them again. Thanks.

gisnered
Indigo and salt

When you test the indigo, test both with and without the sea salt.  Though natural and all that, it is still salt.  I find that salt can be very drying - I itch and burn for several hours after a long swm in the ocean.  A 2 1/2 hour salty soak in a may be more than  your scalp likes.

Paperrose

I will definitely do a patch test with each separately as you described before using them again. Thanks.

lolahi
Reaction to Indigo (Sudina)

Ditto on the reactions and symptoms to the indigo step.  I tried apple juice in the henna portion to see if the lemon juice compromised my scalp, but it is definitely the indigo.  Now I don't know if I can use this method of dying my hair.

Redteddy33
Indigo reaction

Please its important to note that a person can be allergic to anything, even something that is all natural. So if you checked three or four out of a list of allergic symptoms do not continue to mess with indigo. You might be able to "grin and bear it" for a few more times and then the next time end up in acute anaphylactic shock. You can lose consciousness, have difficulty swallowing and it can lead to death. Allergies to substances are nothing to take lightly.  Indigo allergies are rare but that's not any reason to ignore it. 

dryitchysclap
Scalp psoriasis is a common

Scalp psoriasis is a common skin disorder that makes raised, reddish, often scaly patches. It can pop up as a single patch or several, and can even affect your entire scalp. It can also spread to your forehead, the back of your neck, or behind your ears. for more information kindly visit: http://dryitchyscalpremedies.com/