Henna & Indigo newbie in desperate need of help!

148 posts / 0 new
Last post
1PumpkinPie
Re: Henna & Indigo newbie in desperate need of help!

It wouldn't make it stronger or anything? Though i guess it'll dye release anyway on your skin.

Thanks for the tip.

1PumpkinPie

I did the patch test (finally) for henna. I left it on for 23 and a half hours but like you said it did flake off. No reaction what so ever!  tho it did leave an orange stain on my arm..haha. So now when should i do the patch test for indigo? Do i need to wait several days from the henna test? do i use a different arm? and how long do i leave that one on, the same amount of time?

ACWN

I would, personally, give it 24 hours at the very least (just in case a delayed reaction pops up) and then test on a different arm for roughly the same amount of time.

1PumpkinPie

Sounds good, thank you! 

1PumpkinPie

Okay yesterday morning i did the indigo patch test and left it on for about 23 hours. No reaction what so ever.

Does this mean I'm home free?  Is this patch test sufficient? I mean, its not quite the same as putting a bunch of it all over ones head as oppsed to a small patch test in the inside of the arm..is it? The indigo was a bit runny, not as thick as the henna test, is that still okay?

How long should i give it till i do my hair?

ACWN

Typically a small patch test is more than enough - you really don't want to find out you're allergic with a massive test, after all!

Not to scare you, but just keep in mind that like with anything, this is subject to change and you could still  POSSIBLY develop an allergy at some point waaaaay down the line. Henna/indigo allergies are rare, but some people have gotten them after many uses. Its just how the body reacts.. suddenly decides it doesn't like something any more (like my mom and nuts and me with sterling silver) so if you suddenly develop any sort of reaction symptom... discontinue and consult your doctor!

However, since you had no reactions with the tests... you're home free! I'd give it 24, just to be sure. That's just me though!

1PumpkinPie

Thank you. Will probaly do it this week sometime..
So would this mean that everytime i want to color my hair i would need to do an allergy test prior to?

ACWN

No, no! Just be aware of symptoms and keep them in the back of your mind every time you apply from here on out... so just in case you develop something, you'll remember and be able to react sooner.

1PumpkinPie

Okay, thank you!! :)

1PumpkinPie

I have several more questions:

Do i wash my hair right before i apply the henna...and should i leave out conditioner?

Do i apply henna on damp hair? Do i apply indigo on damp hair?

And when i rinse out the henna and then later the indigo, do i just use water? or conditioner?

ACWN

If you have gray or dye resistant hair, skip the conditioner before the henna - but definitely wash well! If you NEED it, use as little as you can manage and rinse really, REALLY well. You can use conditioner to get most of the henna paste out, then shampoo to get the rest out. Do NOT condition again, indigo does not like oils.

Towel dried hair on both counts is best cause it helps the paste spread and can ever so slight thin out a mix that may be too thick.

Conditioner only after indigo, hold off on shampoo for 48 hours. Indigo is sortve delicate the first couple of days and can be pulled out easily then, but after that its typically pretty hard to budge.

1PumpkinPie

Any conditioner is okay?
Also, towel dry hair totally dry? or ever so slighty damp is okay?

ACWN

Any is fine.

When we say towel dry here, we mean stepping out of the shower, taking a single towel and rubbing/squeezing water out until its damp (not dripping)... because you cannot really get your hair DRY-dry with towels.

1PumpkinPie

Cool! 
And thank you,i kinda figured that.. :)

1PumpkinPie

Sorry one more thing.. lol  

Cold distilled water for the indigo?  And cold OJ (I'm gonna use orange juice) for the henna okay?

ACWN

Yep on both counts!

1PumpkinPie

Thanks a bunch! :)

1PumpkinPie

Hey just wanted to know. Would i be able to do a henna on one night then the next day follow up with indigo?

ACWN

Yeah, you can do that though don't wait any longer than that. Indigo sticks best to hair that has been freshly henna-ed.

Jen

We say a week between at most. Some people do just fine waiting longer, but I wouldn't recomend it. There's certainly no problem with a day between.

1PumpkinPie

Oh okay...thank you..

And what if i mix ACV with the OJ, is that okay? How long would it take for dye release then?

Jen

Its OK, but either will do the trick on their own. You're looking at an "overnight" or 8-12 hour dye release with either or a combination. 

1PumpkinPie

Well thing is, i didn't have enough OJ so i had to add ACV. lol oops. This was why i asked. I have the mixture already sitting and its been sitting and covered with plastic wrap for about 45 minutes now.. So i thought it was 7-9 hours OJ from a previous post and now with the ACV its an 8-12 hour dye release? I am confused.

Jen

ya... anywhere from 7-12 with the combination. A matter of a couple hours one side or the other matters none, unless the standing temp is hot -say above 80 or so.

1PumpkinPie

Thank you Jen.
Well it's not exactly 80 in here, its rather cold-ish or cool. Would it help if i blew some warm air on it by using a hairdryer every so often?

Carrie

If it's above 80 it makes dye release happen fast and the dye won't be active as long. So don't work too hard at keeping your paste warm before you apply it. If your house is between 65 and 75 then the ballpark estimate of dye release time will still apply. If it much colder, then your dye release will take longer. If your oven has a pilot light or a light bulb you can turn on, put it in there. But don't expose your paste to much more heat than that, unless you want very rapid dye release and need to apply right away (this is not the optimal way to do things because if you rush things the dye won't "live" as long). 

1PumpkinPie

Thank you Carrie.
I'll just leave as is then. 

1PumpkinPie

Hey i have a question - again. haha 

I am waiting for at least 8 - 12 hours for henna dye release right?  Now for example, let's say the dye releases at the 8th hour but i don't get to it till the 12th hour, will it still work? Will the henna still work if it sits there in it's dye release mode and for how long can it do that without being used? 

ACWN

So long as you used a fairly acidic mix (which you did), it will be active for a good while and still be okay - but if you cant get to it right off, put it in the fridge. Its better that it be kept really cold - slows dye release and demise.

Never assume its ready, always test for dye release on your palm. You want an obvious, vivid orange stain (like a pumpkin skin or orange peel)

1PumpkinPie

Well i just meant if the dye releases at the 9th or 10th hour and i don't get to it till the 12th hour, would it still be okay. I don't plan on waiting an extensive amount of time. I just want to make sure i gauge it right because i still have to wash my hair and all.

And yes, i will make sure to check before using. In fact i tested a little just now to see where I'm at and it doesn't appear ready yet. It left a slight hint of light brownish but nothing like what you're describing. 

What if it still isnt ready at the 12th hour? has that ever happened?

ACWN

Like I said, given you used a fairly acidic mix, it should be fine.

Sometimes lemon mixes can take upwards of 24 hours to dye release... just depends on room temp, liquid temp and sometimes the henna itself. Don't panic too much if it doesn't dye release at 12 hours (so long as you don't get a yellowish stain).. just stick it in the fridge and check on it every so often.

1PumpkinPie

I'll be up all night with that. It was rather cool in here today and will get even colder come evening hours. Idk where you're located but right now it's about 3:30 pm west coast. The 12th hour will be around :7:15 pm. So it would dye release in the fridge?  I cant stay up all night waiting for dye relase. So idk...

What's a yellowish stain mean?

ACWN

It'll dye release in the fridge, it just takes longer. Last time I mixed my batch, it took about 7 hours and that was with TEA! Granted, after about 4 hours at room temp (60 degrees F) I got paranoid and tossed it in the fridge, lol.

Yellowish stain means you missed dye release and its on its way to demising.

1PumpkinPie

Really? because i washed that patch test off i did an hour ago, i left it on a half hour and the result is mixed. Some of it looks orange and parts of it appears yellowish, the part that i told you was light brown now appears almost yellow tho maybe its a light tan? Its so hard to tell. Dye release wouldn't have happened that quick  would it? it was only 7 and a half hours and its rather cool in here..

ACWN

I wouldn't expect it to have, but some hennas do. I know the old crop of Celebration (no longer available) would dye release in about 6 hours or so with lemon juice.

BTW, you don't need to leave a dye release test that long.. just a few minutes. I'm half tempted to tell you to wash your hair really quick and put the henna on *now*, and leave it on for a REALLY long time.. like 5 hours or so...

1PumpkinPie

Well this is Jamila from 2012..

Really? In case it's demising? 

ACWN

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not really familiar with how Jamila acts... some crops act differently than others too. :S

And yep. Okay, what I would do is this... throw it into a ziplock, press it flat and then throw it in the freezer. Let it freeze solid (shouldn't take too terribly long). Once its frozen solid, pull it back out and let it thaw on the counter, while its doing that.. grab your shower.

Freezing the paste will cause the cell walls (since its a plant) to burst and release more dye. One you've showered, throw the henna on (its gonna be cold!) and leave it on for at least 5 hours or longer. If its semi- at that point and you plan on going to bed soon, sleep in it if you can manage it. Wrap your pillow in a few towels (safety pin them in place) and sleep in a shirt you wont mind getting stained - just in case.

1PumpkinPie

Yikes! There's a lot here, its gonna be mssy. I'll need more then one zip lock, theyre not that big...
So just do that then?? 

ACWN

Yeah, I would. But I'm also paranoid about missing dye release.

1PumpkinPie

Okay...ugh..lol..I'm also doing another small test...how long should it take to  turn orange if its going to?

ACWN

Give it about 5 minutes. If you aren't as paranoid as I am, give it some more time before you freeze it. I'm just worried that you mentioned you got orange and yellow.

1PumpkinPie

I just put it in the freezer, 3 bags. Should i leave it in there now and for how long?
That second test i did, i left it on for about 5 minutes like you said and it seemed to have turned closer to an orange shade this time and quicker then the first test. Now what do i do? Leave the henna in there till it freezes? How long will it take to freeze and how long will it take to thaw? 

1PumpkinPie

Ha! I just read on another website that Jamila is know to have one of the longest dye release, about 12 hours. Should i leave it in the freezer and maybe do my hair tomorrow? or take it out now and use it?

::confused: and getting a but weary.. :( lol 

ACWN

Yikes! Sorry, never got a notice in my email that you replied. Uh... Leave it and do it tomorrow if you're tired or you can pull it out and put it in the fridge for the night (it'll keep dye releasing and should be super strong tomorrow). If you got a semi-orange stain then its finally starting to release its dye and should be fine to freeze - if you freeze henna before it starts releasing its dye, it actually comes out weaker rather than stronger.

1PumpkinPie

Yeah, i did get a semi-orange stain. I'm gonna do it tomorrow morning. I actually kinda wanted to do it during the day anyway, that way i can see how it comes out better. Not too great of lighting in here at night, plus i like to get to bed early, so it all worked out then. So how do i thaw it out? Just leave it sit out like normal? And do i still test for a dye release? 

And thank you!!!!!!! you've been more then helpful. :)

ACWN

Yes and yes. In fact, I would pull it out first thing and let it sit at room temp for an hour or so.. so it can kinda warm up to room temp and hopefully release a lil more dye for you. I'd still leave it on as long as possible (5 - 6 hours), just in case!

1PumpkinPie

Okay I'll do just that!   I'll be sure to let you know how everything goes..

Thank you once again. :)

1PumpkinPie

Hey sorry one more question. I put the henna in the freezer at about 4:34 pm.. (i marked it down) ..it is now 6:21 pm. I felt it and it still feels soft..tho very cold. Is the freezer supposed to freeze it rock solid? And i know the freezer works fine because everthing else in there is rock solid..I had put the ziplock bags in a grocery bag for more protection...

ACWN

It will, don't worry. Sometimes henna can take a while to freeze. Though if its not frozen yet, you can pull it out and let it finish dye releasing in the fridge overnight if you want.

1PumpkinPie

Or can i just leave it in the freezer?  

Pages