Henna & Indigo newbie in desperate need of help!

148 posts / 0 new
Last post
ACWN
Re: Henna & Indigo newbie in desperate need of help!

Or you can just leave in the freezer :)

1PumpkinPie

Great! :D

1PumpkinPie

I just took the 3 ziplock bags of frozen rock solid henna paste out of the freezer to thaw. Any idea how long this wll take? It's 8:03 am west coast time and it's rather cool in the room..
What if there was slight air in one of them, would that stil be okay? one doesnt look completly flat.like there's a space between the bag and the henna...

Carrie

A little air is okay. Put your sealed ziplock bags in a bowl of warm/very warm water. If you mashed the paste flat in each bag, it will only take about 10-20 minutes to get it thawed enough to mash with a  fork and stir it up to a good consistency. Don't wait for it to reach room temperature. It will warm up while it's on your head just fine. 

1PumpkinPie

Okay i did that just now. theyre not completely submersed tho.(bowl too small) .is that okay?  So when should i wash my hair? right now?? or wait till i stir it and see dye release? I feel like this is a race against time competition between me and the henna..LOL.

Carrie

I think your nervousness is making this whole thing seem much more complex and rigid than it needs to be :) 

Mine never get completely submersed, don't worry about it. 

When you can squish and break up the thawed paste,  you could wash your hair then.  or you could put it in the bowl and stir up, then wash your hair. It doesn't really matter. Your henna paste isn't a fragile flower than will wilt and die in a few minutes.  Since you used something acidic in it, it will last well for hours (if you use lemon juice or amla, 2 or 3 days!) at room temp. 

It's the indigo that is more temperamental and is strongest in the first hour after you add the water. It still works after that, but it gradually loses strength over just a few hours. 

1PumpkinPie

Thanks and yes, you're right. I just showered and washed my hair - no conditioner. The henna paste looks all thawed out, didn't have to break up any pieces. I think I'll just keep it in the bags and work from that Its too messy and too much of a hassel to transfer it back over to the bowl. I am doing a henna patch test again to see if it turns orange in 5 min..

1PumpkinPie

Okay, it gave a very light orangy shade...it needs to be darker..right?

1PumpkinPie

I may have to wait several more hours to make it at least 12 for the henna to release its full dye potential..Its getting a bit frustrating here..lol It seems like it picked up where it left off last night. I didnt see any explosion of dye release after freezing.

1PumpkinPie

I think i will proceed now, i did another patch test and it looked like pumpkin color.

Carrie

You don't have to have the paste at its peak of dye release before you apply it. Be sure to wrap up your head in something warm like a winter cap or beanie. The warmth will accelerate dye release and dye uptake into your hair. 

1PumpkinPie

I got it on my head now - its kinda heavy,. hahah. I put a disposable shower cap on and my head is wrapped up in a towel and i even draped a blanket over it..lol. How long should i leave it on now? I am counting from 11:30 am...

Also, i sure hope i covered every spot of gray but the back was kinda hard to see and do even with a mirror but i did my best. If there is some white grays i missed..oh well..nothing i can do about it. And boy it sure is messy, that i agree with. lol

1PumpkinPie

When i mix the Iindigo...do i use warm water?   and must it be distilled or is tap okay? and what about purified tap water? I use PUR on my tap water but it only worls for cold water...
Right now i have distilled water in a bottle but its at room temperature..is that okay or must it be warm?

Jen

Room temp is OK. Some people like warm better, and it may help when hair is stubborn to take dye, but if you keep your head warm anyway, the paste will still get warm even with room temp water. It will be fine!

The problem with tap water is chlorine, and your filter should stop that.

Carrie

I always used tap water. Cool, warm, it didn't matter. 

A suggestion:  having something heavy on your head can give you a head or neck ache. A warm winter cap is plenty. A towel gave me a headache, it was too heavy. If it starts feeling heavy, lie down and watch a movie, read a book, take a nap. 

Carrie

The length of time you leave it on is usually pinned down in your strand testing. For warm brown on gray hair using a 1:1 mixture of henna/indigo I would usually say 5 hours, if the gray is stubborn to take dye. If your hair takes color easily then you can do it in 2 or 3 hours. If you are applying heat from a bonnet hair dryer or heat cap, you can cut the time in half (1.5 hours instead of 3, for non-gray, non-resistant hair). 

1PumpkinPie

Thank you Carrie for the tip. So far no headache but maybe a little on my neck i feel.. I don't have a warm winter cap or any cap for that matter. lol I KNEW i should have bought that cheap winter beanie cap i saw the other day at Rite Aid..lol ..Oh well...i am making due with the towel and blanket...I'll just rest my head..watch TV..

1PumpkinPie

How about if I  just pour the distilled water in a smaller bottle and run hot water over the bottle to warm it up....would that be okay?

ACWN

You don't need to.

1PumpkinPie

I dont need to what?  warm the distilled water up? i
Its pretty cold tho even if it is.." room temperature.".

ACWN

*sigh* You don't -need- to warm it, but if its -cold- you might want to make it body temp warm.

1PumpkinPie

Thank you..good idea.

1PumpkinPie

Hey, I read several times that after i rinse out all my henna to use a baking soda rinse prior to applying the indigo. They said its because it'll make the indigo stick better or something like that..is this true?
Also, when i rinse out the indigo, i can use conditioner..right?

ACWN

Don't add any extra steps unless you need to next time around. You're already making this harder on yourself than it needs to be, lol. Just shampoo your hair really well after the henna and yes, conditioner (only) after indigo is fine.

1PumpkinPie

Okay now I'm confused. I thought only rinse after henna and no shampoo...

ACWN

[link] - first and last paragraph.

1PumpkinPie

Wash henna out with shampoo? Then how come eveyone says only to rinse it out and not to shampoo for like 48 hours??

Like this for instance.. (minus conditioner because I"m using indigo):
This is from Henna Caravan, its where i bought my henna and indigo from..

[edited by admin to remove commercial link]
8. Rinse out the Henna Paste

• Using cool water and a conditioner only rinse the henna paste out of your hair. You may want to use a sink with a drain catcher to prevent your plumbing from being gunked up.

ACWN

Their information is incorrect (except for the drain catcher - I've never had an issue, but its a good idea). Once henna is in your hair, VERY little will make it budge. Its INDIGO you want to wait 48 hours for.

1PumpkinPie

So maybe if i just use a little shampoo then. It doesn't matter what kind?

ACWN

A two step should be as follows:

1. Mix your henna with an acid. Allow to dye release.

2. Once dye released, apply to freshly washed, towel dried hair. Cover with plastic wrap and something to keep it warm (beanie/wool cap is suggested, towels can cause headaches and neck cramps).

3. Leave on at least 4 hours, or 5 - 6 in the case of folks with gray hair (especially stubborn gray).

4. Rinse henna out. The easiest way to do this is to use a cheapy conditioner to break up the paste and then shampoo the heck out of it several times to get the remaining paste and conditioner out with your normal shampoo. Rinse really well.

5. Towel dry.

6. Mix indigo with room temp distilled water.

7. Apply. Cover the same way.

8. Let sit for 1 - 2 hours.

9. Rinse with water and conditioner. NO SHAMPOO for 48 hours.

1PumpkinPie

That sounds really good, thank you.
Then what about this site here..

http://liveacolourfullife.wordpress.com/tag/can-we-wash-hair-with-shampo...

Use cold water for rinsing out and just use plain water.
Chemical products such as conditioner, shampoo, hair sprays, and hair perfumes should not be used after henna treatment.

They really ought to update that then. It could confuse someone.. like me. lol

Now my question to you is..should i still use cold water? I'm gonna be in the shower, cold water would be kinda rough on me, its already cool in here and i just got over a cold...
ACWN

At least 90 - 95% of what you find on the internet about plant dyes is COMPLETELY incorrect. That blog is a prime example of it. Every bit of what you copied/pasted is wrong (and I love how it says not to use conditioner but then says it to use it for rinsing, lol). Cast iron also will not make the henna darker. You do not want to add any of the crap that page says to add (eggs, curd, lard and ESPECIALLY NOT oil). It wont do you any good.

The information given here is correct and you can trust what you're being told because it is gathered by the owner, Lady C (who is getting a degree in the medical use of it), and her crew through many years of experimenting on the "traditional" and "best" methods. They have figured out what works, what doesnt and what is just bogus myth. When we suggest things here, it is coming from what the admins and older members have found to be the REAL best methods.

No, you do not need to use cold water. Shower as you normally would, there is no reason to make yourself uncomfortable or sick.

1PumpkinPie

Thank you so much ACWN! :D  I do trust you guys that is why I've been posting here so much and asking so many questions and driving you all crazy. ;)
It makes more sense to use shampoo and who wouldn't want to wash all that yucky henna paste out of ones hair anyway.
 Water & conditioner alone would never do it.
Okay, so I've got 2 more hours to go which will make the 6 hour mark. Hopefully i will see some nice orangy color on my head... 

Carrie

When my husband used to do a 2-step for black, he just used warm water to get the henna step rinsed out. He would lean over the edge of the tub and stick his head under the tap to get the henna out, then towel dry with an old towel (the dedicated henna towel!) and apply the indigo. 

You can use shampoo after the henna step if you want, but it is not necessary. It is NOT necessary to be EXTREMELY thorough in getting the henna paste out before you apply the indigo. You can, or not. It won't matter as far as your color. 

He would condition and shampoo after the indigo step, right away, and it didn't make his indigo fade. But then he was doing all henna, followed by all indigo, for black. It was extremely permanent; you could call it bombproof :) 

When your second step is hendigo, it is a good idea to wait 2 days before shampooing. 

1PumpkinPie

Hi Carrie..

I'll see how it goes when I'm in the shower regarding shampooing... If i feel i need to then i will..Did your husband have real short hair? I don't have a tub, just a shower so i kinda have to get under it all the way, plus i have a lot of thick hair...

Really? shampoo right after the indigo? I'd be afraid to do that. I have so much white/gray in my hair that i wanna make sure i do the utmost to make sure its not seen or heard of again..lol..until it starts to grow in again of course....

So I'm probaly gonna do 2 hours Indigo..sound about right?

Jen

Some people have trouble getting indigo to stick. For them I recommend no shampoo if you can avoid it. No big tho. Really. Don't sweat it so much!

2 hours sounds fine. 

1PumpkinPie

No shampoo after the henna?  hmm..I'll see how it goes....

Thanks, 2 hours it'll be. I still have a half hour till the 6 hours is up. What a long process..lol..and to think its not over yet..ha!

1PumpkinPie

Oh hey i have an off the wall question. What if when I'm rinsing the henna or indigo out...some of it accidently gets in my eye..is that really bad?

ACWN

I'm pretty sure Jen meant no shampoo after the indigo, Pumpkin, since that was what she was talking about... and its no different than getting mud in your eye, but its likely to sting a lot more. Flush with cool water for several minutes.

1PumpkinPie

Oh okay....thank you.

Carrie

So, are you trying for black, then? I thought you were doing henna, followed by hendigo for brown. 

1PumpkinPie

I am trying for black...yes..and Its on right now...Wow indigo is messy!!! 

1PumpkinPie

Hey guys, my hair looks real nice. Its not quite a total black, it has a slight hint of a reddish brown but mainly it appears black. I actually like it this way..Is it still going to oxidize in a few days and get darker? 

Last night the heavy henna on my head for 6 hours plus the heavy indigo on my head for 2 hours finally gave me a headache. I'm okay today but i didnt sleep real well last night, was watching TV to the wee hours...

I notice the Indigo was more grainy, probabaly due to the salt that i added which made it harder to apply.  I had no problem rinsing out the henna and no, i didnt shampoo (and of course no conditioner), i didn't need to because it came out so well on its own with just water. I used only water and conditioner on the indigo tho and my hair feels real nice now. 

Pics may come soon..

I really do have to thank you guys and i really appreciate your patience and help. You all basically walked me thru it. :-)

Oh, i managed to get a blue spot of indigo on the wall, is there any way to remove it? Everything else cleaned up really good except for that one spot..

Carrie

It will probably oxidize closer to black in a couple of days. Indigo is more grainy anyway, it's not from the salt. You can get CMC from Mehandi that will make it creamier if you want to.

Indigo stains very permanently. Depending on the surface you might try bleach but I don't think bleach will work a lot of the time, just like bleach won't remove indigo from hair. 

1PumpkinPie
Oh okay, thanks. And thank you all for helping me so much!!! :-D And I'm sorry it took so long to post pics, but here is a before and after.. http://s11.postimg.org/xk7pud4xf/image.jpg http://s21.postimg.org/ebnd278fr/HRW.jpg Its actually not black tho like it appears in the photo, it never did oxidize and become black and I'm not sure why. Any ideas on that one?. Its more of a dark reddish/rust/chestnut type brown. Looks really nice and i am happy with it. You know i wasn't sure exactly what color i wanted and even tho i was aiming for black, i would have been perfectly satisfied with any other variation. Its already starting to grow out tho i see the white skunk streak coming thru. LOL oh well..
Carrie
What a beautiful color!  If you want black you could do an indigo gloss over that, using 2 Tbsp indigo per cup of conditioner applied for 30-60 minutes.
1PumpkinPie
Thank you and thanks for the tip..tho i don't think i will bother. I already have gray/white growing back in and that'll only make those parts blue. It'll look like i naturally have blue hair but decided to dye it black. ha! and i think it would be difficult not to get any on the roots... This shade is nice tho..

Pages