How to Kill Henna

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
KJ
How to Kill Henna

I realize this may seem like a strange question, but I want to kill my leftover henna.  I keep leftover henna from gigs with the thought that I could use it once it "died" to do designs for my portfolio without them actually staining.  This way I could do one, take a pic, wash off, do another, take a pic, and so on.  The issue is that the henna is just that darn good.  I have it all combined in one large carrot bag and have had some of it for quite a long time, however it's still staining!  Granted it's faint, but staining.  Is there a way to completely kill it so I can use it for the purpose I want to use it for?  My thought was to throw it in the microwave, but I'm not sure that would work or for how long I should leave it in there.  Any thoughts? 

Viljaana
Re: How to Kill Henna

Microwave or other heating (even boiling perhaps) should work. Make sure the henna is heated through and well - an let it cool before using it!

You also could try to protect the skin from stainin by doing the "don't"s: put some oil or lotion on the skin just before henna aplication and exfoliate when removing the paste.

Jen

The trouble is that the texture changes as the dye degrades. When the dye is totally dead the paste tends to start getting runny and sticky in a way that's not helpful for photography OR pretty work.

A layer of oil or lotion on the skin may help, but its no fail-safe. 

Why not try to find some models that WANT to wear your work for more than just a day?! 

KJ

Thanks both of you.  I will probably do both, try to kill it and protect the skin to see if I can get the consistency to work for me.  I'll also be throwing up a request on my facebook for models.  Thanks again ladies.

KJ

KJ

So I nuked it for about 30 seconds in the microwave and used it hours later having her put lotion on beforehand.  It left a very faint stain and it was gone after she took a shower that night.  So, it worked for the most part.  As for the consistency, it was almost like a whipped texture, but still worked fine once I got used to it.

leapfrog
For some reason, when my paste dies it gets thick and grainy.
Jen
I guess I could say mine is thick too, though not grainy, even though that directly contradicts what I said before... Its like this. Its thick and sticky like tar in the cone, then once on skin it spreads uncontrollably as though it were too thin. How ever you describe it, it sure is different enough to make practicing with it non-useful!
GreenDragonGirl
Another idea... paint on paper with it. I love my dead Henna for painting ATCs. Of course, I found that you have to store them in plastic sleeves after (or apply a clear coat fixitive or something) because it does tend to stain the back of the card you might store it behind...