Henna/Indigo mix to cover gray hair that frames face

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sharon
Henna/Indigo mix to cover gray hair that frames face

Hello:

I am a first time user and need recommendation for henna/indigo mix to cover stubborn gray along my hairline.  I have very little gray throughout the rest of my hair and ok with not treating it.  Also, I need time recommendations for each step and suggestions for preventing staining along hairline.  Additional info: Black female, age 62, top of  shoulder length hair, black hair.

thank you

Jen
Re: Henna/Indigo mix to cover gray hair that frames face

I would do a 2-4 hour application of the highest dye content henna you can get and follow with henna/indigo mix that suites you (1:1 for medium and 1 part henna to 2 parts indigo for dark brown) for 4-6 hours. This may be over kill. Lots of people ONLY need that second step, but if you know your hair is stubborn to take up dye, this method is pretty sure-fire!

Sharon

Thank you, Jen.  Can you suggest hennas that have highest dye content? Also, with so much application time, how can I avoid staining the skin around hairline? Do I need to apply to the rest of my hair?  I would rather not. Oh, if I were to apply the henna to the rest of my hair, would I get red highlights or just a hot mess?? lol

thanks again

ACWN

If you want to make your hair completely black all over, simply apply a good henna for several hours (recommend something like Raj. Twilight or Monsoon for 5 - 6 mixed with something fairly acidic with stubborn gray), followed by straight indigo (mixed with room temp distilled water for 1 - 2 hours).

I would also recommend washing your hair (the stubborn gray section at he very least) with dish soap and baking soda several times in the days before you apply. It will be harsh on your hair, but it will help weather your hair, allowing those stubborn sections to absorb the dye more readily. If you also have a source of constant heat (IE a heat/drying bonnet), using this will also help and cut your application time in half!

You can also do the two step on JUST the section you want to cover.

You'll want about 300g each of henna and indigo for all over, 400 each if your hair is thick. Its better to have too much than not enough. Mix all the henna. If you have any left, you can freeze it for roots. Mix the indigo ONLY when you plan to apply it, not a moment sooner. Do not let it sit and I would only start with 200g at least, then mix the rest as needed.

Sharon

Thank you, ACWN.  Other questions...What can I use to moisturize before and after? I do plan to use my bonnet hair dryer, do I shampoo or co-wash after each step? apple juice, lemon juice ? The result does not have to be jet black, just no more gray.

Thanks again...I really appreciate the collective wisdom here and the generosity of your time!

ACWN

When you're "weathering" your hair for the prep stages, you can condition but when you wash your hair the day of, do NOT use any conditioner. Shampoo the henna step out, but no conditioner. When you do the indigo step... THAT is when you do conditioner, and conditioner only. Avoid shampoo for at least 48 hours (just in case). After that 48 hour period, you can return to your normal hair care routine!

If you know your hair is very stubborn with dye, I would recommend apple juice with a tablespoon of lemon juice per cup apple or so. It will increase the dye release time, but it will bump up the acid levels which will help with the gray coverage and it will still be very gentle on your prep "abused" hair.

If you're flexible on the results you get, you can do a two step hennigo like Jen suggests, but I would really suggest a very long time on both steps, just to ensure you get good coverage though your results might end up being very dark (near black), depending on which ratio your decide on and how much your hair absorbs the dye.

To answer your questions to Jen, since I'm here -

mehandi.com's Raj. Twilight or Monsoon are very high. I wouldn't worry too much about staining on your hairline. It typically doesn't show up much and is gone very quickly since the skin on your face/scalp exfoliates quickly (I've only every had a minimal orange stain the first day and its gone by day two). However, if you are concerned... plan on applying when you have a day or two off. Straight henna, alone, on the rest of your hair would give you auburn highlights.

Sharon

Ok, I guess I am ready to place my order.  I plan to henna sometime next week (when order arrives).  I will keep you posted.

Thanks loads!

Sharon

Ordering now, have a few questions...  is Raj. monsoon henna stronger than henna in kits for african hair or kits for gray coverage? since i have african hair, should i use that henna or the Raj?

ACWN

If you get a "For Gray" kit, it will come with Twilight (I believe) - which is the highest dye content available (which is what you want, it will cover best).

Henna for African Hair is actually an old name from a time before they lab tested their henna (several years back). It was originally the finest sifted henna they sold at the time, which made it best for folks with African hair or dreads because it rinsed out easier. Almost all the hennas they sell now are very finely sifted though and all rinse out pretty darn easily.

Jen

Henna for African Hair is an ONGOING name for the finest variety of henna Mehandi has to offer. That makes it easy to rinse from curls and puts less stress on fragile hair. The current batch of henna for African Hair has a dye conetent of 2% which is strong enough for most people to cover gray, but is not as strong as Monsoon, which is not quite as stong as Twilight. Twilight is also the same henna in the kits for gray coverage.

Sharon

Hello:

I just received my order and excited to begin.  I've been reading a lot on the forum and found that some say that conditioner after the henna application is helpful in removing the henna before shampooing. Can i use conditioner to assist with henna rinse out?  Also, instructions that came with my kit (henna for gray hair-black) say I can shampoo after the indigo application, should I? I hope to deep condition after the indigo step,  I plan to henna all over and apply indigo or indigo/henna mixture to the gray along my hairline only.  Should I use indigo only or mix with % henna?

Finally, I've read that some have added conditioner to henna paste just before application. Does this interfere with dye uptake? 

Thank you  for all you do

ACWN

Do not use conditioner when rinsing the henna out (shampoo though!) and use only conditioner for the indigo step.

Since you have gray, do not add conditioner to your henna - you only want this when you want to weaken the color and it can inhibit dye uptake on your gray.

Since you're flexible on the resulting color, you can do whichever you'd rather (straight indigo or a hennigo mix). A two step will give you black, a hennigo will give you a shade of brown.

Jen

ACWN, I understand no conditioner IN the henna for gray coverage, but I'm currious. Why no conditioner to rinse the henna portion out? I do that all the time!

ACWN

She has stubborn gray on her hairline. Don't we always recommend avoiding conditioner with stubborn gray, especially when indigo is involved because it can inhibit dye uptake? Or did something change?

I basically said it because she has stubborn gray and plans on either doing a two step for black or a two step hennigo and I figured rinsing the henna-only step out with conditioner would cause issues with her stubborn gray for the indigo/hennigo step since it doesn't like oils to begin with and her hairline is stubborn.

Sharon

Jen and ACWN:

Thanks so much for your replies; you cleared up a lot.  I read that to cover gray, it is best to do a two step as you recommended because you should wait for henna to turn gray hair red before using indigo.  Just a thought, suppose i were to, in one-step, apply henna all over, then apply indigo over the henna in the front where I have the most gray.  Would i get gray coverage and what color?

Thanks again

Carrie

If you layer indigo paste over the henna paste (2 layers of paste in other words) I think you may get uneven color - some orangey, some brownish, because the indigo dye may not be able to penetrate through the henna paste to get to the hair evenly. If you want to use a 1-step method, put a mixture (stirred very well) of indigo and henna on any sections where you want to add brown or brownish red color, and put henna on any areas where you only want to add red color. 

Jen

ACWN, I see where you're coming from now. This is how I see it. Conditioner IN paste will both dilute dye and coat hair which may prevent dye uptake. Conditioner BEFORE henna will leave oils on hair that can prevent uptake. Conditioner AFTER (or as you rinse) no problem. Dye has already been taken up into the hair. Just my opionion. It works for me, but my grays aren't to partiularly stubborn.

ACWN

But in the case of a two step, don't you think there could an issue? The conditioner would still leave oils and since indigo is so temperamental.... I dunno, I guess I would just be worried about it with the stubborn gray since theres already a "risk" about uptake issues to begin with (and I know we all want this to work out for Sharon with as few hiccups as possible!) I'm just curious for my own information so I can update my mental records. :)

Carrie

Right, since we are talking about using indigo in this case, the best advice is don't use any conditioner until you are rinsing out the indigo (or indigo-containing) step. It won't prevent indigo uptake entirely (obviously, since you can do a henna/indigo gloss made with conditioner, or even an indigo gloss) but it can inhibit it some, especially on the roots area where the hair isn't "weathered" yet. 

Sharon

Well, I took the plunge today.  I applied thawed henna around 6, sat under the dryer for an hour and kept it on for another 2 hours.  It took!  Instead of a hairline (1 inch) outlined in gray, it is now outlined in fiery red.  I shampooed out the henna and applied a 2:3 henna/ indigo mix just to the hairline, then did a quasi gloss in the rest of my hair.  I wanted to keep some of the red highlights- still vain _ lol.  I am under the dryer now and plan to sit for 1 hour, then spend the next 1/2 hour tidying up.  After, the henna step, my hair looked and felt great!! If  I don't get back to you tonight, I will share my results tomorrow.  Thanks for everything!! 

ACWN

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, hon! I'm glad the henna step at least took well. Look forward to your results :)

Sharon

ACWN, Jen, Carrie

Success!!!  The indigo/henna mix covered the gray entirely.  I am very, very happy with the outcome, and if all continues well, I plan to do it again.  Thank you for your patience with my many questions, and for all the wisdom you shared.

Jen

Yay! Thanks for the update :)

Carrie

It's always nice to know how it turned out!  Link us to a picture if you like - we have a Flickr page where you can share it as well. www.flickr.com/groups/hennaforhair/