natural med brown with 60-70% gray - current chemical red head

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
iwunderu
natural med brown with 60-70% gray - current chemical red head

HI all,

I'm so excited to discover henna!  I ordered Rajasthani Monsoon earlier this week.

I plan on using apple juice since it's not as drying for dye release.  I have 2 baggies of hair ready for test strands and hope to get enough together for a third.  I am aiming for bright copper.  I think I should be able to achieve this because of the amount of gray hair I have.

I used to keep my hair bright red (orphan annie!) until my gray became the majority of my hair.  At that point it faded way too fast.  The past 5 years or so have been reddish brown/dark blondes, depending on my mood.

I'm ready to get back to bright vibrant color!  

Here is a link to my current color.  This was taken indoors so it looks slightly darker. http://www.flickr.com/photos/94011979@N06/8556365779/

I plan on putting the henna on my hair as soon as possible after I recieve it.  My roots may not be showing much as I hadn't planned on coloring my hair until the end of the month.  I will try to take a pic prior of my roots to share and an update after.

Here's a pic to give you an idea of the color I used to keep and what I'm aiming for.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/94011979@N06/8556377433/

Carrie
Re: natural med brown with 60-70% gray - current chemical ...

Your desired color is very achievable with henna, and since you've chosen a high dye content henna and want a lighter color, you are smart to do some testing first. You may only want to leave the henna on for 1.5 to 2 hours, or you may wish to dilute the prepared henna paste in conditioner so you get less uptake for a lighter color. Here is our FAQ page where you will find info on glosses:  forums.hennapage.com/node/98

You'll want to just touch up roots as they grow in, instead of redoing your whole head. Adding more henna to hair that is already as dark as you want it will only make it deeper and darker red/auburn and can eventually build up to an auburn/burgundy color. 

Carrie

Be sure to let the test hair oxidize for a week after hennaing so you can see how dark it's going to get. 

iwunderu

Thanks Carrie for the great advice.  My plan is to just do root touchups once I am the color I want.  

iwunderu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/94011979@N06/8568919554/ The above link is a picture of what my roots look like. I got my henna Saturday and set to work. I used apple juice for dye release overnight. It never really stained my skin much like some of the pictures I saw on here so I was worried. I put in the freezer in hopes of further dye release and set out to do my strand tests. I had 3 baggies of hair that I had planned on testing at 2, 4, 6 hours. We were visiting my dad and other errands so what actually happened was 2.5 and 4.5. I lost my samples out of my pocket somewhere along the way so I didn't get to do the 6 hour one. I was already leaning toward the 2.5 hour first one anyway as it was brighter than the 4.5 hour one. I'm pretty good with any red so I went ahead and took the plunge without waiting for oxidation since I lost my hair samples. Here's a couple of pictures of my results: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94011979@N06/8568919786/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/94011979@N06/8568919610/ I'm very excited with the initial results. It is exactly the color I wanted. I will post another picture after a week and all oxidation has occurred.
iwunderu
Here is a picture of my hair in sunlight on day two. I don't think this picture really represents the color well but does show how shiny it is! http://www.flickr.com/photos/94011979@N06/8577766434/ Today is day 4. Please excuse my bed head but I wanted to give an idea of the color today. I would say a shade darker than day one. http://www.flickr.com/photos/94011979@N06/8577766408/ If you want to see all the pics to compare, here's a link to the entire album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94011979@N06/ I've only washed it once since Sunday night and haven't heat styled it yet. I'm itching to heat style it and will probably give in tomorrow on that score. I will post another set of pics after that. I'm hoping it doesn't darken much because of the heat styling. Any experience out there?
Carrie
Beautiful results!

I don't usually heat style but having heard that direct heat appliances like a curling iron or flat iron/straightener would darken hennaed hair, I did an experiment. I used a curling iron one time on my ends and compared to the roots - you can see in my photo how it darkened it a shade or so. I've seen another person's photos who used a curling iron on her bangs on a regular basis and it radically changed her color from a strawberry blonde to a deep auburn.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/4223195728/in/set-72157623088472780
iwunderu
Thanks Carrie. I guess I will find out. My hair looks like poo without heat styling. I just cut 6 inches off in February to this style. If only I had discovered before the cut!
Carrie
Hair dryers don't seem to have the same darkening effect. If you blow it dry, that shouldn't affect the color.  It is the really high heat (like 400 degrees for a flat iron) that makes a color difference.
iwunderu
Good to know. Maybe I can get away with just blow drying. I'm trying out my big velcro rollers right now. :)
iwunderu
Well I haven't used the flat iron yet...Blow drying produces good enough results for daily hair. I will be using the flat iron soon though because we are going on vacation in a week. I am doing my roots right now as my hair grows FAST! and to get the little spots I missed the first application. I think roots only is harder than whole head! lol I will update again after I use the flat iron.
iwunderu
Broke out the flat iron today to see what my hair would do before vacation. I can't tell a difference in color. Is the darkening effect cumulative or would I see it right away?
Carrie
From what I've heard, you see some right away and it can build up. I couldn't believe how dark one person's bangs got.
iwunderu
Wanted to document where I am with my hair, in case anyone is following. I just did my 3rd henna application, roots only. This time I did mix in a bit of filtered water to thin it for ease of use. It does appear as if my roots are not as dark this time. I guess I will have to suffer through the thickness to get a darker color. http://www.flickr.com/photos/94011979@N06/ photo called "3rd henna 4th flat iron" I have flat ironed my hair a total of 4 times since I started the henna journey and so far, my color is pretty consistent. One of those times was by a hairdresser who was really, really applying the heat! lol
Ophelia
Hi, just seen this thread (I'm growing my henna out now, so don't come on here every day any more!) and wanted to add, I'm someone who got the darkening from straightening irons. I don't think I ever posted a picture, but I had the same thing Carrie mentioned, bangs that ended up WAY darker than the rest. (what happened, was that I had my hair cut into a bob that had to be straightened - I'd never used straighteners before - I grew the bob out but kept the bangs, so that was the only bit of my hair that got straightened, I didn't notice for ages, but then the difference in color became really apparent to me (and other people!) I had to lighten the front of my hair up by using Sun-In.
iwunderu
Thank you for telling me your account. I really don't want my hair darker so I'm trying not to flatiron "much". haha My hair is the texture that really needs something to help it look polished so I've been playing around with other methods. Here is a better picture of my hair in direct sunlight: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94011979@N06/8686087850/ After the flat iron discussion, I know many of you are thinking that the texture in this picture is perfectly fine left as is. The difference is the Florida humidity, heat and wind. My hair does not dry like this at home! lol
Ophelia
LOL you're welcome! YOur hair does look nice in the photo, mine dries in a similar way to that. The reason I had to use flat irons was that, although my hair looks ok when longer, when it was cut short it looked awful as it's really neither straight nor very wavy, and the style I'd chose was a classic 1920s bob which had to be worn straight. (I'd always wanted hair like that, as I'm obsessed with the 1920s, but it wasn't right for my hair type, also I missed my long hair very quickly!)
iwunderu
Hi All, I thought I'd check in with an update on my hair. It's been 8 months since I started using henna and do a root only touch up every 3 weeks. I love my hair! It is very healthy and the texture has improved. I feel like it has taken care of some of the frizziness. Most days I let it air dry. When I want it to look fairly smooth, I will blow dry it. When the weather is cold, I will blow dry it. I will flat iron on occasion when I want it extra smooth. I would say I flat iron about twice a month. I can't tell that there is any darkening from that little amount of flat ironing. Here's a link to a my latest pic. The color looks slightly different because we were outside at night with artificial light/flash. Look how smooth and shiny!!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/94011979@N06/10777638434/
Carrie
Looks very healthy and shiny!
iwunderu
Thanks Carrie!
Ophelia
It's looking great, very pretty color! :)
iwunderu
Thank you! I'm very pleased with it.