Help please - gray/white hair is neon orange

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
cosmic
Help please - gray/white hair is neon orange
I tried searching the forums for other posts pertaining to this issue but I guess I'm not searching the right terms because I'm not finding what I'm looking for... Today I helped my mother dye her hair with henna. Her hair natural hair is mostly a faded auburn brown (that part came out beautifully!) but she has gray and white hair along her temples that came out bright neon orange. I've read on here that the color will darken over the next few days, and I keep telling her that, but she's pretty anxious about the orange. Neither of us are sure just how much darker that bit will get. What can we do to darken up the orange? Should we re-henna that part and leave it on longer to soak up more dye? (she left it on for about 2 hours). Would that get it darker, or just more intense orange? lol. I do have some amla powder I could add to the henna (it's supposed to make it a more brown-ish red, right?). Any advice is much appreciated! :)
Carrie
Re: Help please - gray/white hair is neon orange
Leaving it on for only 2 hours played a role in getting orange rather than a deeper shade of red.  You can, however, build up to the deeper color by repeating the process and I'd suggest leaving it on the orange areas for 5-6 hours. If she likes the color on her brown hair, she should leave that part alone. Adding 20% amla to the henna will also push the color to  very slightly browner color. Not brown, but a tinge of brown to the red/orange.

If you have a way to supply constant heat like a bonnet hairdryer or heat cap, you can cut the application time in half.

Which henna are you using, by the way? A higher dye content henna like Monsoon or Twilight is best for getting a deeper color on gray hair.
cosmic
She used Rajasthani Monsoon. It did cross my mind that such a short application time could be part of the problem. I suggested applying henna again to the orange parts but she seemed skeptical to try it, fearing it would just get more orange. We don't have a heat bonnet, but would blowing warm air from a hair dryer work?
Carrie
I don't think you can cut your time in half with intermittent use of a blow dryer. If you keep the dryer going for the whole 2.5 hours, maybe! 
cosmic
Ok, so the hairdryer is a no-go... I told her she could just take a nice long nap tomorrow haha.

Thanks for the help!
Fzzlktty
I got a heat bonnet at Sally's for around $10. So worth it if it cuts the time in half!