Henndigo - Roots are purple

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tracey
Henndigo - Roots are purple
Please help
3 weeks ago I did my roots with a mix of 1/8 cup amla, 1/4 cup henna (released overnight) then added 1 cup indigo.  didn't use all of it, it was too much.  Left it on for 2 hours.  then did 1/2 hour indigo (5 tbsp, to some water with a little conditioner) it turned out very nice.  dark dark dark like the rest of my hair and even after washing only got slightly lighter.
This past weekend, i did the same ratio, but half the amount (since last time i didn't use it all and what i did use was very heavy on my head), so 1/16 cup amla to 1/8 cup henna, sat overnight.  Added 1/2 cup indigo, left on 2 hours, then rinsed out, it was dark, but some gray showing still (is this because of amount I used or just need to rub in it more?).  Then 5 tbsp indigo to water to little conditioner.  left that on for a half hour.  Also, when I applied it to my roots, I used a hair dye applicator brush from a beauty store in order to get only the roots and not so much on where it wasn't needed. Also, used a plastic cap that is made for people that are putting oil on their heads.  You put it on and then point the hair dryer at your head and it shrinks the cap to fit your head better.  Thought that would be helpful to hold in the heat.  In the past was applying with my hand and is harder to get just the roots. 
It turned out pretty good, was dark. That was Saturday.  Today I washed my hair for the first time since then and my roots are purple/burgundy.  This has never happened to me before.
Any ideas why?  Weird to me that with that little of a henna amount it is so burgundy.  I have had orange before, which is why I started using a higher amount of indigo.
Any idea how to fix this? 
Also, I read the FAQ regarding lighteining hair, any new info on that?  Would love to have my hair lighter so I don't have to try so hard to get my gray roots to match the rest of my hair.
Carrie
Re: Henndigo - Roots are purple
It could be that you aren't using enough henna in your first step to help the indigo stay put. Indigo seems to bind better to the henna IN the hair, not to the hair itself.  You are using basically 4 times as much indigo as henna, or a 1:4 mix of henna/indigo. I usually recommend people go no higher on indigo than 1:2 henna/indigo.
Carrie
I don't have anything new on lightening - I wrote the FAQ just a few months ago.
Tracey

That is how I did it in the beginning, but now that my hair is soooo dark, which was kind of an accident (long story), it is hard to get my roots as dark.

I started using more indigo just to try and sometimes it works well, wonder why other times it doesn't (like this time). 

If you were me and you were redoing your hair tonight, you would put 2 parts indigo to the one part henna/amla mix? 

If that takes (again hard to tell as it looked good until I washed it) I can still put the indigo paste by itself on after, correct?  I was suggested this by the girls when I called Mehandi.  How long to leave that on for so won't worry about green?  Was leaving on for half hour to an hour, but now that am doing 2 to 1 instead of 4 to 1 indigo to henna, wondering if I shouldn't leave the indigo paste on as long.

My boyfriend made the henna/amla for me approx. 11 central today.  If I want to do my hair around 7 and it hasn't released yet (I can tell that if my skin turns orange, right?) Is there a way to get it to release quicker?  I had him put it in the sunlight based on reading here that it getting hotter should help.

Would putting henna along in my hair(not the roots) make it lighter at all? 

Thanks for all the answers!!!

Carrie
If your goal is black, I'd put straight indigo on for 1 hour.

If your goal is soft black, then 3 Tbsp indigo per cup conditioner for 30 minutes.

If you want dark brown, then you do want some henna in the mix too. But I'm not sure how that will turn out over purplish hair. I'd try 1:1 or 1:2 henna/indigo for 2 to 3 hours. Hard to predict exact timing.

When a henna/indigo comes out green , usually you just wait 24 hours and the green goes away - except if the henna doesn't give you enough uptake (not enough time, or not enough henna!) Henna uptake takes a longer application time than indigo uptake.  If you do a really short application time (like 30 minutes) with henna/indigo, you will likely get mostly indigo uptake, and that could mean some greenish tones, at least initially. The good news is, indigo without enough henna in the mix to back it up, usually will wash out in just a few washes. Or at least most of it will!

Yes, getting hotter will make dye release happen faster.  But if it does, dye demise will happen faster as well, so be ready to use it when it's releasing dye.

Plant dyes can't make hair lighter. It can appear brighter at first but when it oxidizes, as you know, it gets darker.