Amla - Henna - Indigo - HELP???!!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
toot
Amla - Henna - Indigo - HELP???!!
I am wanting to try the Amla powder but I really am not sure what it is and what it does. i have read a ton of posts and still just don't get it :-( I thought that it would help with shine and also help with color...depending on what you are trying to do. But now I am reading a bunch of posts that are referencing other benefits. I have dark dull brown very tightly coiled hair. I typically henna and indigo in two steps and love the results. My very small grey patch gets covered and the black lasts for months. But I thought that I might want to try the alma and I'm not sure how to incorporate it in to my normal regimen or if it will be a benefit. How much do I use? Do I mix with water or lemon juice? Do I mix it alone and then mix it with the henna. Do I mix it alone, apply, wash and then proceed to my normall 2 step regimen? Do I mix the henna and amla powder together with water, lemon juice etc and apply the 2 step like I normally do? Does it need to dye release like the henna? OK...I could go on but I think you get the picture. Help!!!LOL
toot
Re: Amla - Henna - Indigo - HELP???!!
Disregard I FINALLY found my answer on the site! I am however, now concerned that my curls will be curlier due to the Amla. I like the fact that the henna loosens my curl pattern a bit and your site says Amla will prevent loosening of curls and waves. is this common or doe results vary? I don't mind my tightly coiled african american hair but I like the slight loosening the henna does. Should I have purchased something else instead of Amla? I am trying to acheive more shine and conditioning.
Carrie
Amla's results regarding curl preservation do vary. Most wavies and curlies want to keep their curl and we recommend they include 20 to 25% amla in their henna step. You would use just water as your liquid and let the henna/amla/water mix sit about 8-12 hours for dye release.  Don't add amla to the indigo step.

It sometimes helps with curl, sometimes not. Some people still have curl loosening after amla.

You can also use amla as a separate treatment every 3-4 weeks.  Mix with hot water (about 25 gram amla plus enough water to make a soupy mixture to saturate your hair) and apply for 15-30 minutes. It can help restore lost waves and will add shine and body. 

toot
Thanks so much for your reply, Carrie! I think I will try it as a separate treatment since I already purchased it.