Leaving henna outside for dye release?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
skyesque
Leaving henna outside for dye release?

I'm using the Henna Caravan KISS recipe with Jamila 2009.

Our outside temps have been in the low to mid-80s every week, and I was wondering if it's a good idea to leave the paste outside during the day in the sun for better dye release? I would then move it inside after dark under a heat lamp.

I like the idea of "set it and forget it" for 24 hours, because I always see *some* dye release starting around 12 hours no matter where I put the paste, and I never know whether I should wait longer or not.

Any insight?

Noa
Re: Leaving henna outside for dye release?

If you decide to keep it outdoors in 80 F, I would keep it in a shady area. If it is facing direct sun you may over cook it.

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

if you are leaving it in the sun all day that is just asking for trouble as something sitting in the sun will get very hot in a short amount of time.  THink of your car all closed up and sitting in the sun .If your house is 75 degrees or so, just leave the henna in the house and at the end of the 24 hours it will be ready to use.

Following a recipe is important and time, ingredients, and temperature all factor into the product.

THink of a cake, if you change the eggs from 2 to none, cook at 500 instead of 350 degrees, there will be a definite difference in the results.

I know henna is not that picky as a cake, but if you follow a recipe you should do so completely .

THis will give you a base to work from and see what works and then you can start to make changes like using a different oil, different sugar, dextrose, or water instead of lemon juice. And if you only change one thing per test you will know what works for you or what doesn't .

Good luck with your henna journey ! 

Flavia

skyesque

Thanks, everyone! Good advice. I'm thinking even if it's 80 degrees, in the direct sun, it might get up to 90 or more. I'm putting the paste in the house, which is about 72-74 and putting it in a sunny window, which shouldn't heat it up as much as if it were outside.

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

a regular pane of window glass will allow about 85% of solar energy to be transmitted through it. So if it is a hot sunny day  , the amount of heat transmitted will be significant and may be enough to "cook" your henna if  you leave it in the window. 

Cover the henna and leave it in a non sunny spot  for best results. 

Flavia

Blurberrybuzz

I often put henna in a shady spot outside during the summer.  It doesn't get too hot here in MN, but it will get cooked if it's left out in the sun.  A shady spot is warmer than my house and helps to hurry the henna along  a little bit.  If you put it in the sun, you will probably have cooked henna and the batch will be ruined.