Indigo on roots - did henna/indigo on Saturday

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tracey
Indigo on roots - did henna/indigo on Saturday

I have dark brown hair and I have alot of gray roots.  I did the henna/indigo 1 part to 2 parts application on Saturday.  I didn't leave it on long enough (pretty sure that is why it is sooooo light, almost blonde).  Was on for 2 hours.  Anyways - if I wanted to get it darker quickly, would putting indigo on my roots today do any good or has it been too long since the henna was applied to take?

Thanks!

Carrie
Re: Indigo on roots - did henna/indigo on Saturday
If your roots are blonde and not a rich orange, don't put plain indigo on them - you'll get green hair. (Yellow + blue = green) 

You need to have enough henna in  the hair already before you apply straight indigo (which will give you brown if you leave it on a brief time like 5-20 minutes, the longer you leave it in, the darker it will get) ... OR you can do your henna/indigo mix again and leave it on longer.
Tracey
Thanks - glad I asked.  Is this common when henna/indigo wasn't on long enough?  Or are there other reasons for the blondish color?
Tracey

Was reading on glosses - if I did a henna/indigo gloss mix without have the henna have a dye release(adding straight powder), would it do anthing?  If I had the henna/amla made and sit for about 4 hours would it have released at all?  Is there a way for it to release much quicker than the usual 12 hours?  I know heat works, but you can't microwave it or bake it right?  What if it is outside in the sun on a hot day?  Would the henna release better then?

Once the henna is make how long can it be in the refrigerator and still be usable?

Thanks!

Carrie
Putting straight indigo and henna powder into conditioner and applying for a relatively short time (like 30-60 minutes will produce blonde. Works better if you let it stand for an hour or so, then apply for 30 minutes. Or you can mix with warm/hot water so they will both release dye right away, then add to conditioner and apply - the result will still be blonde if you are mixing it with conditioner (in other words, you are diluting it a lot) and applying for a short time.

If you mix henna and indigo with warm water and apply it straight (not diluted in conditioner) for about 2 hours you'll get brown.

When you have an acidic ingredient like amla in the mix, it needs more time OR some heat/warmth in order to work. Your body heat will do the trick, and some people mix and apply right away BUT they leave it on long enough for dye release to happen while it's on their head, like 4-6 hours or overnight. Anything that speeds up dye release is also going to speed up demise - in other words, it will shorten the active lifespan of the dye.

If you microwave or bake it, you are very likely to weaken the dye severely. High heat (or spots of high heat in the microwave, which does not heat things evenly) accelerates the dye release / dye demise life cycle of the paste.

An acidic mix that is outside on a hot day, or on the dashboard of a car, will be ready to use within an hour, and it won't last as long as paste prepared under more controlled temperature (like 65-75 degrees F.)

Putting henna paste in the fridge will slow down its dye release/demise cycle. Freezing it will suspend it. Neither one is a good idea for indigo, just for henna or cassia. Indigo will demise in the freezer and I can't predict how well it would survive in the fridge. Henna will be okay in the fridge for a couple days (assuming it wasn't demising when you put it in there) and maybe longer.