Will any of these remove the black dye underneath my indigo ?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
myohmy
Will any of these remove the black dye underneath my indigo ?
Hello !

So my natural hair is a (dull) medium brown.
It is longer than waist-length and I had been dyeing it almost black for 10 years when I tried removing some with green clay (without great success) to start using indigo.
But I started using indigo (mixed with some wallnut stuff at first) before getting a satisfactory result, asmy roots were showing too much.
Problem now is : My lengths are still too saturated with black dye and patchy.
I've tried coconut cream, twice, and a bit of pink does go down the tup. Now I've just been using white clay, and some brown stuff comes out.
But I don't see that much result on my hair, and I want to speed up the process.
What's more, I don't know what it is that is going. The indigo, or some of the previous stuff that is saturating my hair ?

Is it the metallic salts alone that we are trying to remove ? I suppose they're not what makes the hair black, but if they are still linked to the pigments ? Could it be that something like chlorella, or spiruline, or coriander, or anything thats links up with metals helps remove some of the dye ?
Has anyone tried it ?

Can I do Indigo again before finding a solution, without it being messed up afterwards ?

To sum it up : Is there something to remove hair dyes ? That will allow indigo to get and stay in my hair afterwards ?
Is there something that will do that WITHOUT removing the Indigo ?

Thanks !
ACWN
Re: Will any of these remove the black dye underneath my ...

The only reason I can forsee you having problems is that it sounds almost like you aren't using henna? Henna is required to use before indigo in order to get a true and permanent black. Indigo alone is very hard on the hair and would not produce a black - more of a washed out blue/gray-ish color.

Having chemical dye on your length *shouldn't* cause any problems, but you can try using something like ColorOops without the peroxide step to remove some of the under color (note that it could take out some of your indigo). Not using the peroxide step is most important because it will leave you with moldy green hair.

Or, alternatively, you can wash your hair (especially the roots - scrub really well at your scalp) with a mix of baking soda and dish soap or baking soda and a good clarifying shampoo (you'll need/want a heavy moisturizing treatment afterwards) a few times over a period of a couple days... this will probably remove some of the chemical dye (and probably some of the indigo), but it will also open up your hair shaft. This is good for the roots because they naturally aren't as weathered as the rest of your hair and may not take the dye as well.

Then pick a day where you don't need to do anything but be lazy, wash your hair again with the mix but do NOT use any conditioner. Apply dye released henna (recommend mehandi.com's Twilight or Monsoon) to towel dried but not dripping hair, cover well with plastic (grocery bag, plastic wrap, cheap shower cap), then something to keep it warm that wont strain your neck (beanie/wool hat, scarf, a turbie twist). Leave on for at least two hours, try to shoot for four.

Wash it out. You can use conditioner to break up and loosen most of the henna mud, but shampoo REALLY well afterwards and do NOT use conditioner again.

Now mix the indigo (never mix it before you need it, it wont last) and apply to towel dried hair. Wrap the same way and leave on for an hour to two hours.

Rinse with ONLY water and conditioner. Do not shampoo for at least 48 hours.

If you have the means, you can apply heat (such as with a heat bonnet/cap or... if you don't mind looking silly, you can tie a heating pad to your head). A constant, steady source of heat will not only help the plant dyes penetrate your hair better, it will cut your application time in half!

Also keep in mind that you want enough of both plant dyes to completely coat your hair like cake frosting.... so you may want to order 100 - 200g more than you think you need. Mix ALL of the henna (as you can freeze any left overs for roots later on) and basically mix the indigo as you need it since it wont keep for more than a few hours. Mix only what you think you need of the indigo, if you run out... you'll have more on hand.

This should give you an even, black cat black color that's permanent enough that you should only need to do your roots from then on.

Carrie
I agree with ACWN - a color remover like ColorFix, ColourOops, ColorB4 should get the old black dye out.  Or the baking soda/shampoo scrubs, but that will take longer and be harsher on your hair.

I would not suspect you have metallic salts in your hair, that's not the concern. It's just the old black chemical dye.  Removing it may remove some of your indigo too, but it should not keep you from getting indigo uptake with future applications of a Henna/Indigo 2-step process.
myohmy
Thanks a lot for your responses !
In fact, my problem is that I don't want my hair to be that black anymore !
I am actually quite happy with the effet of the indigo alone on my 3inch roots, although I'm considering adding in a bit of henna, amla, and cassia next time, as well as agar (I don't think it's the same as the "pectin" used in the gel-henna recipe, which requires some acidity to be activated, but it is meant to work the same, and I havn't read anywhere that it needed acidity to gelify...).
The aim would be to get about the same color as I'm getting, plus the care aspect, and a smoother paste too ! :)

I had read about the oops thingies in another post, but had read that the henna (and/or possibly other plant dyes) wouldn't stain so easily after them.

I may try it now, or if it's not available where I am (France...) and I can't order it, I'll defo try the baking soda/washing liquid scrubbing tip !...
ACWN

Never heard of plant dyes not taking easily after color correctors, or chemical dyes for that matter. If anything, chemical dyes typically tend to cause the hair to take the dyes TOO easily!

If you want to make indigo smoother, try CMC powder or about a tablespoon of instant pudding powder per 100g. Just toss it right in with the indigo while its still a powder, then mix it up.

Indigo really doesn't work well without henna (it just doesn't stick like it should and the color isn't right), and if it does... I'm not so sure it is indigo. You can double check by mixing a bit of it till its really watery and sticking a paper napkin in it. Blue-green dye should creep up the napkin. If its any other color, its not indigo you're using and could actually be very dangerous.

Now, if you don't want pure black any more, I would still suggest the methods I mentioned in my first post - this should even out your color (remove the patchiness you have), unless the color corrector or dish soap/baking soda does that for you (and it might!)... and then for your roots, I would suggest the following -

Same two step method, but start to gradually start adding dye released henna paste into the indigo - 25g or so at a time - while backing off the indigo in equal amounts (so plus 25g henna, minus 25g indigo each time). What this will do is gradually make your results less *black* and more very dark brown/nearly black. The reason why you want to do a two step still is for the same reason... if theres too much indigo vs henna, it wont hold well. The step of JUST henna will give the indigo heavy hennigo step a good bed to hold onto.

You can trim the ends off as you go and eventually, you'll find a color you like best and then you can just stick with that mix for just your roots from then on!

myohmy
Admittedly I have had to use the indigo at least 3 times, leaving it for veeeeery long, and it WAS really tedious ! I just couldn't believe my eyes after having covered my whole head of thick and long hair and left it for at least 3 to 5 hours and then rinced everything off and cleaning up the mess, that it had done next to nothing to cover my roots !!!!!
The thinnest strands of hair were slightly blue/green in the days following the first proper application.
It is, however, from a very reputable website that makes a point of providing authentic and high-quality products, and it guarantees that its plant dyes are free from metalic salts.

The only thing I would be worried about would be the freshness of the powder, and their instructions for use are extremely basic.
As far as henna is concerned, they are only retailers.
But I think they do know what's inside their products.
I will do the test though, out of curiosity. :)

Oh I would never embark on a life-long obligation to do 2-step henna twice a month, and I'm actually quite happy with the rather natural, intermediary hue I'm getting with only the indigo. I am getting too old for anything harsher ! And, I would love being able to put nice funny stuff on my ends from time to time, like hibiscus, or blue food coloring, or temporary highlights that would require lighter hair to really show.
So I'll stick with something light and not as contrasted with my root colour as that almost-black colour was !!! :)

I will research CMC or pudding powder and maybe let you know about the results I've had with whatever I've tried... ;)
Carrie
Indigo doesn't attach that well unless you use henna beforehand, or at the same time. What you describe (weak blue-green results on unhennaed hair) is to be expected.  But if you don't want permanently indigoed hair, that's just as well :)  Indigo applied properly is bombproof, can't be removed or bleached out, for the most part.

Henna worked just fine for me after using ColorFix 3 times. No problem at all!
myohmy
Yeah actually I'm quite happy to know that it can go away a bit as I'm going... That will avoid me having hair that gets black towards the ends and is light brown on an inch when I'm too lazy to do my hair for two months :))
I would like to go for something a bit more soft and natural than what I had, and a little less permanent too. So that just will be perfect :)

Thanks all for your answers and I'll keep you updated :)