Henna / Indigo applied separately

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tracey
Henna / Indigo applied separately

Does applying henna to gray roots and then indigo always turn your roots black?  Or is this a way to get almost black/very dark brown? Does this keep the indigo showing longer? What I mean by that is after washing hair a number of times will the indigo stay on better than it does for me now doing a hendigo and then indigo along application? 

Carrie
Re: Henna / Indigo applied separately
A 2-step process like you are describing will often help if someone has trouble getting dark enough color from a 1-step process. Sometimes indigo has a hard time attaching to the hair unless there is some henna in the hair for it to bind with. 

It can be tricky getting the timing right so you don't get an unwanted black color.  For black,  you generally leave the 2nd step indigo on for an hour, but sometimes even 30 minutes will give a soft black. If you want brown, you may wish to include a little  henna in your 2nd step indigo to lessen the risk of that. I've seen 10% henna suggested for that purpose but I haven't tried it myself that way.
Tracey
How long do you leave the henna on in the first step if you are doing a two step for dark brown/close to black roots?  I have been doing 2 steps, henndigo 2 to 1 indigo to henna for 3 hours, then indigo for 20ish minutes.  Last month it worked great and then as usually washed out some, but wasn't purple like it is now.  All the gray was covered too. The only thing I can think that was different last month to this month is that I remember the indigo being dryer this month, looking back, should have added more water.  It was falling off in clumps during application. Could that have anything to do with the purple? However, the henndigo application was not dry and I still didn't have all the gray covered in some areas.
Carrie
I'd leave henna on for 2-3 hours in a 2-step-for black (or dark brown).

Having your indigo dry and falling off isn't going to give you good uptake. It needs to have some liquid consistency to carry the dye into your hair.
Tracey

Thanks for the suggestions and explanations.  Did roots on Saturday.  Washed with dish soap and baking soda on roots.  1 part henna (with 1/4 of that amount of Amla) overnight for 12 hours a few days prior.  Froze that and thawed out overnight on Friday in the fridge.  Mixed Henna/Amla with 1.5 parts Indigo.  Applied to roots.  Left on, covered, for  little over 3.5 hours.  Very light brown.  Applied straight indigo paste.  Looks very dark brown. This has happened before, but then washes out over time and 1 time turned purple.  Hoping this time it stays.

If I am knowing I am going to do a 2 step process is it better to just do henna alone before the indigo or a henna/indigo mix?

If I know I am going to do a 2 step process then leaving the first step on for only 2 hours is enough?

Thanks for the help!!

Carrie
For a 2-step process I would use henna alone for step one. The point of doing a 2-step process is to put enough henna into the hair that the indigo will have an easier time attaching.  You can leave the henna paste on for just 2 hours if you're going for black, and I think 2 hours would be enough (assuming it's not a low dye content henna) in most cases even if you're going for brown with your 2-step process.
Tracey

My hair is very dark brown / close to black from using indigo and trying to keep roots to match.  Don't want black, have been trying to lighten my hair with honey.

So do Henna for 2 hours and then indigo for 20 minutes just like I have been doing with my 2 step henndigo and then indigo?

Confused as to the 2 hours would be enough for black and probably enough for brown.  I would have thought for black you would leave the henna on longer?  As well as the indigo on longer.

It is then henna that Tap Dancing LIzard sells.  Forgot the brand, Ancient Sunrise maybe?

Thanks again for your help.

Carrie
Yes, Ancient Sunrise is a brand owned by Mehandi/Tap Dancing Lizard.

2 hours of henna plus 1 hour of indigo is usually enough for a 2-step black. When you use the dyes separately, you can give each dye the pH it likes (acidic for henna, alkaline for indigo).

When you mix henna and indigo together, it can take a little longer for both of them to fully deposit their dye. I guess you could say they sort of slow each other down. It seems like in some cases it's harder for the indigo to get fully deposited in the hair, when it's mixed with henna (I'm talking about the cases where people use hendigo and end up with orange roots) - so having a good base of henna in the hair as a first step is helpful when the hair is dye resistant, as some gray hair or very smooth virgin roots can be. Does that help?
Tracey

So doing henna alone and then the indigo alone makes it better for gray to turn brown?  I think I understand.  So if I was currently doing henndigo then indigo and it would be dark brown over the gray roots, but generally washes alot of the dark brown out, this should hopefully prevent that?

I was doing anwhere from a 2.5 hour to a 4.5 hour application of the henndigo before the 20 to 30 minutes of indigo.  Since this should work better, should I do the indigo for less time? 10 minutes or so?  I don't want the roots to be black.  Only problem with that is the timing of putting it on.  Do I start timing from first application or when done?  Hard to know when it is such a short time frame.

Thanks for all your help with this.

Jen
Henna alone followed by indigo alone should give somewhere between very dark brow and black. You should strand test! If henna then indigo is too dark, you should try just henna followed by a henna and indigo mix with a dark brown ratio (1:2).
Carrie
I agree with Jen, henna followed by hendigo is what you want to do for brown.  Doing henna followed by indigo is likely to make your hair black.  Timing is an issue when you use indigo alone because, as you say, if you need to have indigo on your hair for only a short time, inevitably some of the hair will have indigo on it longer than the rest, and it starts working immediately. You would time it from completion of application but some of the hair will have been exposed to the dye prior to that point.
Tracey

Thanks - 2 hours for just henna and how long would you recommend for the 2:1 henndigo?  Is there any chance doing it this way will make it turn black?  My hair is very very very dark brown, almost black in parts as it is, so dark is good, but don't want complete black.  Make the henndigo right before I apply it?

I washed my hair yesterday for the first time since I did the Henndigo 1 to 1.5 and then just indigo on Saturday.  It is somewhat purple again.

Hope doing just the henna alone first and then the henndigo fixes this. This is extremely time consuming.

Thanks for the help.

Carrie
If you're covering resistant gray, then leaving the hendigo step on for 5-6 hours could be necessary, but you can probably get away with a shorter time. It shouldn't make your hair black.

You can and should make the henna ahead of time of course, but mix the indigo portion right before you apply it.
Tracey

You are saying put the henna on for 2 hours and then leave the henndigo on for 5 to 6?

Is there a quicker way?  I thought someone mentioned something about Henna for 2 hours and then Indigo with 10% Henna for 20 minutes or so.  Would that keep hair from turning black?'

Or what if I do henna/indigo 1-1 ratio would I have a better bet at not turning purple?

Thanks! 

Carrie
Yes, 2 hr henna and 5-6 hr hendigo MAY be required. You can only try it and see. It's not one size fits all, unfortunately.  Once you have something that works, then you can try cutting down the application time and see it is still gives you your desired color, without fading.  My strategy, if someone has troubles, is to optimize the method completely, until you have success, then you can try to tinker, simplify, or shorten it as much as you can, while still having success.

I have heard people say that 10% henna in their indigo will keep their hair from turning black.  This should be mostly true on virgin hair, but on hair that already has some indigo in it, there is always a good chance that adding more indigo - even a little - could give you black.  So just be cautious about applying multiple indigo-containing mixes over time, and only do roots if you don't want black.

However, a 20 minute application of 90% indigo and 10% henna gives the henna zero chance of depositing much color (henna attaches to the hair more slowly then indigo, generally speaking)  but the mild acidity of henna MIGHT be enough to keep the indigo from working well, at least in such a short application. It sounds like you saw someone recommend this method, so it must have worked for her ... it's great to experiment with something like this using a hairball first :)
Tracey
I meant the 10% henna and 90% indigo after 2 hours of just henna.  Would that 10% doing anything in a 20 minute time frame? This is only for roots which are white, but today they are burgandy, is that going to make a diference? Thanks
Carrie
Right, that is what I was talking about too.  I don't know that you'll get much color (maybe you will add a blonde color to whatever colors are already present) in a 20 minute application over hennaed hair, or virgin hair for that matter. It's just such a short time. A 20 minute application of an indigo gloss would darken and brown the existing henna color, but a 20 minute application of a mixture of henna and indigo seems less predictable to me. You may get great performance from the indigo that way, or you may get less than great performance.  Timing plays a big role with plant dyes, more so than with chemical dyes.