Roots are burgundyish

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tracey
Roots are burgundyish

I henndigoed my hair, 2 parts indigo, 1 part henna with 1/4 of as much amla in the henna.  let the henna/amla sit over night and release.  mixed with indigo and salt and applied to clean hair.  rinsed out and roots (that is all I did, gray roots) were light brown.  That is how they usually turn out and my hair is darker than light brown. Applied mix of indigo to roots for 20 minutes and it turned it dark brown.  It washes out slowly each time i wash it, to a certain point and is a light brown or slight reddish brown.  Today after washing yesterday, I noticed it is a more burgandy color.  It has been 12 days since I did the hendigo.  Any idea why this happened?

I had an issue a few months ago where they were purple and that happened after the first (i believe it was the first) washing. That time I used 4 times the indigo to the henna and was told that was probably why it happened.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Carrie
Re: Roots are burgundyish
There can be issues getting good uptake when the amount of indigo is that much higher than the henna amount.  As I mention in your other post, application time can also make a difference. For most people a 5-6 hour application will give better uptake from a hendigo mix.

Avoiding shampoo completely for the first 24 hours after using indigo can help as well in preventing quick fading of the indigo.
Tracey
I don't use shampoo for at least 48 hours after.  The issue is 5 to 6 hours being a very long time and not having that much time to have this on my head usually.  I did it a few weeks ago for 4. 5 hours and it was the same color as when I do 3 hours.  Light brown. I was told by someone at tap dancing lizard to do the indigo for 10 or so minutes after the henndigo.  That seems to help, but still fades over time.  Last month it faded, but didn't turn purple and I did the same thing this month as last.  That is the confusing part of all this.   When you say there can me issues getting good uptake when the amount of indigo is that much higher than the henna amount, you mean when it is 2 to 1 indigo to henna?  Please explain how that works?  Thanks
Carrie
For indigo to attach, there needs to be a good amount of henna in the hair.  Either already in the hair (like in a 2-step, where the first step deposits henna) or in a mix that includes henna and indigo. When not enough henna attaches to the hair, the indigo isn't going to hold on to the hair very well either.

Usually a 2:1 will still work but since it isn't doing so great for you, I suggest going lower on your indigo portion. Maybe try 1 part henna, 1.5 parts indigo, or a 1:1 mix and see if it's better.

Preparing henna with 1/4 amla also can help but I think you are already doing that?  just use amla for your acid at the beginning. Don't add anything acidic when you're about to mix the henna paste with indigo because acids inhibit indigo.